California (Bay Area, Northern) Bay Area/Sacto RFF Beer n' Gear Meeting

bobkonos

Well-known
Local time
9:15 PM
Also known as the Rockridge RFF Riff Raff Rendezvous.

Saturday May 1. 10 am meeting time.

Meet at Cole Coffee, one block north of Claremont and west of College in Rockridge. Hopefully Honus, our local Rockridge guide, can join us.

For all my time in Berkeley and Oakland-Berkeley border, not sure where to wander, but Cole Coffee is a good starting point. I suggest a visit to The Trappist for beer and lunch later in the day.

So let's see what the response is and go from there. But Bingley and Bobkonos are planning on it. And Bobkonos is planning to bring some gear to sell.

I'll be there...

I'll be there...

I'll be there... because I'm already there! :p

And I'll be there... even if I have no cameras left! Currently on a selling binge. :eek:

Here's a thought for the early birds... downtown Oakland REALLY early in the morning has some beautiful light bouncing around amongst the old buildings and shop windows. I'll probably do that before 'brew and gear'.

See you valley boys then.

Jamie

90% sure I'll make it. Will know for sure later in the week. I'll start to ponder which camera to bring shortly :)

I'm in. Which is good, 'cause I'm probably driving Bob! :eek:

Got to drop by Looking Glass Photo first thing, then we'll head over to Cole Coffee.

Well, I'll be working @ Looking Glass Photo on Telegraph. So I won't be able to make it this time. (But I guess I will see Bingley at least... and I see plenty of Jamie anyway...!)
The Trappist sure sounds like a good idea though!

-Brian

LOL Jamie!! A M6TTL was actually the first Leica I bought myself, and the first one I sold when the M7 came out :) It is the missing link in my signature however!

I could do Saturday the 1st! Sounds like a blast. Also, the Trappist has some *fine* beers. Count me in for the whole shebang.

Cwap...I'm having the worst luck with these. The 1st is about the only day I can't make it. I'll be in San Jose all day ending up eventually at the Eagles concert. Too bad cuz I like RR. Try again next time I guess.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but the mere fact that you Californians are hosting a beer and gear meeting makes me want to move out there.

Well, I'll be working @ Looking Glass Photo on Telegraph. So I won't be able to make it this time. (But I guess I will see Bingley at least... and I see plenty of Jamie anyway...!)
The Trappist sure sounds like a good idea though!

-Brian

Hey Brian! What time does Looking Glass open on Saturday? Looking forward to meeting you; I've admired your photos for some time.

LOL Jamie!! A M6TTL was actually the first Leica I bought myself, and the first one I sold when the M7 came out :) It is the missing link in my signature however!

Hold on, there are several missing in the signature between the M7 and the IIIg: M3, M2, M1, M4, M4-2, M4-P (and MD, MDa, and MD-2 if you want to be accurate).

Kent I have_____M6 cameras and can bring one for you to use if need be. :)

Steve- (Bingley),
Looking Glass opens @ 10am on saturday (10-6). Early is best, it can get pretty crazy busy on weekends there.
-Brian

Hold on, there are several missing in the signature between the M7 and the IIIg: M3, M2, M1, M4, M4-2, M4-P (and MD, MDa, and MD-2 if you want to be accurate).

Kent I have_____M6 cameras and can bring one for you to use if need be. :)

Bob- I was hoping no one would notice. The shame ;-)

I may add an M3 to the mix at some point as I've always wanted one of those bad boys, being a 50 shooter the majority of the time.

Looks like I'll be able to make it on my way up to Mendocino.

Steve and Brian, see you at Looking Glass before the meet.

Bob, are you bringing some thread mounts?

Looks like I'll be able to make it on my way up to Mendocino.

Steve and Brian, see you at Looking Glass before the meet.

Bob, are you bringing some thread mounts?

Mike,

Glad you will make it. I no longer have fascination/need for my Canon P (sorry RayPA) and Canon 50mm f1.8 lens. Those two items come to mind first. I may bring some other gear, too but do not want to haul a lot around.

Steve- (Bingley),
Looking Glass opens @ 10am on saturday (10-6). Early is best, it can get pretty crazy busy on weekends there.
-Brian

Thanks, Brian. We'll try to get there when it opens. I've got a camera body to drop off for some work. We may be a few minutes late in joining the RFF crew in Rockridge...

Sooooooo... Being as Looking Glass opens at 10am shall we set a new later meeting time for the Riff Raff get together at Rockridge? Those who know the area and Looking Glass might suggest the new meeting time based on how much time some will need for their first stop.

Good morning Kent!

It takes AT LEAST 2 hours to fondle all the stuff at Looking Glass! First, you've got to check out all the carry bags... who knows, maybe I need just one more that's just a little smaller than my big one and a little bigger... And then there's the Used Gear case... that takes an hour. "I mean, I know I've already had that lens, and I did sell it, but... maybe I didn't give it enough time... And its only $$$.... Geez that's cheap!"

And then you need time, say another 45 minutes, talking to the friendly sales people (a.k.a. "Brian") about the oh so subtle but immensely important differences between Fuji Super Duper whatever and Kodak Portra MAXIMUM COLOR... whatever. And then... you show off your gear to whoever's willing to ooh and ahhh over it!

Then as you begin to make your way to the door, you remember you forgot to look at the books.... And the straps! I definitely need that strap with the new kind of thingy that lets me 'quickdraw' my 3 lb. DSLR up into action at the Decisive Moment.

Are you SURE you want to go there first?? :)

[Actually, I'd prefer a later meet-up in Rockridge. I have to drive the wife to the SF airport and probably won't be back until 10:30 or so.)

Let's make the time 10:30 am. I won't spend much time at Looking Glass... I promise. :rolleyes::) But I do need to drop something off, and am mindful of Brian's comment that the place gets busy later in the day.

So, 10:30 am at Cole Coffee per Bob's original suggestion!

Back