Votes: 201 18.5%
  • Konica S3

Votes: 46 4.2%
  • Yashica GSN

Votes: 162 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 193 17.7%

• Total voters
The Hexar (AF) is not a rangefinder camera : it's a point and shoot camera with IR autofocus system. And it has a huge viewfinder.
The Konica Auto S2 and S1.6 (same camera, different max. aperture) both have a very good and clear VF (slightly blue, however) with a precise frame for the 45mm lens and parallax correction. I have had all the cameras of the list in my hands, and the Konica Auto S2/S1.6 wins, to me. The GIII QL17, all Olympus, the 7SII and the Auto S3 have very good lenses but poor VFs. The Minolta 7S and the Yashica GSN have nice and large VFs too.
I forgot to say that I wear glasses, which may be important to explain my choice here. ;)

The best fixed lens rangefinder is the one you use!

I agree that too... but mine is not in the list. :D

My favorite is an oddball in this group of light, metered rangefinders.

The Ricoh 500 with the quick winder and an f2.8 lens. It has a very good rangefinder with lots of contrast and a bright view. It's heavy but built like a tank.

DSC_2893-1-1.jpg

The Ricoh 500 with the quick winder...

I have one of these, too, and it is an amazing camera. The bottom-mounted winder is great, too -- a novel idea that I wish had become popular. I like it so much better than the Yashica Electro 35 series.

My vote goes to "Other". The Minolta Hi-Matic E has a parallax compensating viewfinder thats totally uncluttered. Lets me concentrate on composition and the right moment.

My QL17 GIII has a decent VF (though not as good as a Bessa R3A, let alone a Leica). However, it's prone to flaring, and you have to keep the RF window very clean, or contrast drops off dramatically.

The best I've ever seen is the Ensign Autorange 1620. Very big and very bright. Easier to do in medium format, for sure.

--nosmok

Konica Auto S3

Konica Auto S3

Although some say it's shutter priority mode is going backwards in technology, is something you can get used to work with (in like, 10 min), managing to pull of awesome pictures. Gossip talks about it being made by cosina and that it's the same camera as others from the same factory with just another name, and even if it shares it's chassis and some of the mechanics, there's no way any (yes, ANY) lens could get better by much. It's beautiful hexanon lens is razor sharp even wide open and has a beautiful vintagy/contrasty color rendition. It's silent leaf shutter, compact size, anodized black color (grrr!), awesome versatile lens and ease of operation make it perfect for street photography, traveling or even for family vacations. I used to carry around one of those german screw mount cameras we all love before the S3 came into my hands, now its catching dust in a shelf :p

If you have an S3, and you love it, come and join our S3 group on FB!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/406458790144/

The C35FD/ Auto S3 shares the same chassis and shutter with Minolta 7sII, Vivitar 35ES and Revue 400SE, but is the only camera in the crowd featuring a 38/1.8 lens. All others have 40/1.7, which is outstanding in its own right.

I always believe there is nothing wrong should all were built by Cosina (and the reason some vigorously denying the speculation) - definitely a capable manufacturer, look at what they are doing today.

Seagull 205 is the best!

Seagull 205 is the best!

Seagull 205 is the nicest, has the best viewinder, wonderfull lens, built quality is great....never any problems.
I am sure a Leica cant do better!

Seagull 205 is the best!

Seagull 205 is the best!

3589mrt.jpg

To my mind the tiny Seagull 205 / Phenix 205 is the nicest,
and still affordable....
has the best viewinder, wonderfull lens,
built quality is great....never any problems.
I am sure a Leica cant do better! (dont laugh the 205 sets some of the standards in its
class)

Here are 205 results of my friend Bob from Tokyo and other Japanse places:
http://www.flickriver.com/groups/442916@N24/pool/interesting/

The 205 is one of the few ultra capable compact fixed lens rangefinders.
Truly a little masterpiece and so overlooked and underrated.

Here you can read more details:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98922823@N00/5966243049/

During the 60s and 70s China Photo industry imported many of their lenses
from Eastern Germany Carl Zeiss Jena.
Same thing with Seagull 203 folder.
I know that Zeiss delivered the polished pre manufactured glass elements and
some parts of HQ fine mechanics for the older Seagull /
Shanghai 4b and 4a type of TLR, the unique tiny Shanghai / Seagull 203 folder 6x6
and several other 35mm cameras including the 203.
From ca. 1985 China manufactured allmost all parts of their lenses and cameras,
some imports from Japan from Minolta and others...
The older Chinese Cameras from
the Red Flag 20 Mao Era are extremely sharp and well made.
(If you find a good one)

I've gone for the Olympus 35RC. It's a really clear finder, with shutter speed and aperture setting easy to read. If I could have that finder on my SP, I'd be a very happy man.

The Ricoh 500 with the quick winder and an f2.8 lens. It has a very good rangefinder with lots of contrast and a bright view. It's heavy but built like a tank.

DSC_2893-1-1.jpg
I have a Ricoh "35" S. Aside from mine not having a PC socket, I see very little difference. I agree about the finder, and the two opposite focus tabs make it easy to focus with either hand. It seems like a really nice camera, but I have yet to run a roll through mine.

Ricoh "35" S by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Having just bought a Konica IIIM, all I can say is WOW.

The viewfinder is 1:1 and amazing. Coming from a SLR this will make the transition much easier.

Peace

Well, after alot of research Ive decided that the Konica Auto S2 is the best fixed lens rangefinder. So I bit the bullet and ordered an excellent to mint Auto S2 fullu serviced and CLA'd by Greg Weber. Cant wait to get my hands on it! Hopefully I'll have it in about 8-10 days.. Tips about the camera and its quirks deeply appreciated :)

In my collection so far, I think it has to be the Agfa Optima 1535. The focus mechanism isn't that great though, and there are other quirks. Incredible viewfinder though.

vWuaFIVl.jpg

Back