Best lens name

Names of Leica lenses indicate max f-stop.
Zeiss lenses (most) derive their names from their designs.

Why do lenses even have names? Isn’t the brand and the lens spec enough? Did they just have to spice it up for advertising, or was there some other reason?

Dagor
Switar
Componon
Amotal
Elmarit
Rapid Rectilinear
Plasmat

Dagor sounds great and is one of the few that aren't simply made up, IIRC it stands for Doppel-Anastigmat Goertz.

Courtesy of Jason Schneider: Tomioka Tri-Lausar. An honest name for the mediocre triplet lens found on the Pigeon 35 camera.

I have used a few Tri-Lausar equipped cameras. The lens is no worse than any other triplet of the time. People say the Tri-Lausar is mediocre, but you almost never hear people say that about the Yashikor, yet AFAIK they are both the same lens made by Tomioka.

Some of the lens names I've come across over the years:

Kalimar Terionon

Wollensak Raptar

Leidolf Lordonar

Schact Travenar

Argus Cintar, Sandamar, and Cintagon

and the highly derivative
Continental Conar

PF

Some of the lens names I've come across over the years:

Kalimar Terionon

Wollensak Raptar

Leidolf Lordonar

Schact Travenar

Argus Cintar, Sandamar, and Cintagon

and the highly derivative
Continental Conar

PF
Great collection. All very gringy except Raptar, I really like that one. Lordonar...!

The camera I design will be called The Dogmatic.
I haven't come up with a name for the lens yet.

Chris

If it's a fixed lens You could call it the Woofar.

If it's got interchangeable lenses, you could call the standard lens The Woofar, the wide-angle lens The Waggar and the telephoto lens The Catatonicar.

Not Best - but in terms of crazy - I think this comes close
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR

I always have been intrigued by "dental eye."
As for the other names I could contribute, I think a trio of lenses called bureaucratar, bureaucraton, and bureaucralux, would be perfect for a photographer who wants to get the perfect shot and still can't choose a lens to use.
Phil Forrest

I nominate Asahi Pentax for the cheap "Cosmicar" brand lenses it produced at one time. Who wouldn't want something called a CosmicCar?

Back