Best lens name

I favor the -agons and -ogons, because the the -gon part of it symbolizes that geometry is involved. Biogon, Distagon, Grandagon, Angulon are all fine, but Flektogon is the King of cool-sounding lens names.

I favor the -agons and -ogons, because the the -gon part of it symbolizes that geometry is involved. Biogon, Distagon, Grandagon, Angulon are all fine, but Flektogon is the King of cool-sounding lens names.

Yes, there is something about those names ending in "…gon…"

may-the-force-2rznd7.jpg

A beastly lens is the Bausch & Lomb Animar;
A stuck up lens is the Meyer Aristostigmat;
A real gem is the Boyer Beryl;
Great lenses to wear around your neck include the Berner Collar and the Hermagis Lynx;
A lens of great price includes the Boyer Perle;
A really cool (even cold) lens is the Reichart Polar (you might say it is a bear of a lens);
A great lens for spotting aircraft is the Gundlach Radar;
A lens to take out on the town is the Roussel Stylor;
A lens for making really bloody TV horror shows is the Goerz Telegor;
A nice lens (extension tube actually) for filming children's specials in the UK is the Zeiss Tele-Tubus;
A combination photographic device and menu item from Taco Bell is the Wollensack Verito;
Pacific Coast lenses include the Isco Westanar and Westanor;

(based on lenses from Rudolf Kingslake, A History of Photographic Lenses)

I've always been partial to the Zeiss nomenclature.

Biogon, Distagon, Planar, Tessar, etc...

I like Biogon, Planar, and Tessar, myself. Also Summicron, Summaron, APO-Telyt. I don't really like the names Elmar or Distagon, although I do like the lenses. ASPH seems a strange thing to see on a lens; but again, I like the lenses.

I always liked the house-brand lenses sold at K-mart.... "Focal". Actually, everything they sold was Focal, but it was most applicable to their lenses.

Back