Best pocketable point and shoot

Dunn

Well-known
Local time
9:44 AM
Just curious to see what you guys think is the best point and shoot that will easily fit into your pants pocket.

Film or digital. Or both.

The ricoh GR series is quite pocketable. The GRD is a nice size, very 'pocketable'. Ive never tried the GR1 series, but i think they are a tad thinner than the GRD, making them very pocketable! (provided you dont use the optical viewfinder)

The Minox 35GT or GT-E is supremely pocketable (in fact, the smallest 35mm ever, or something like that). The lens is great, design is great, highly recommended.

Rollei 35.
I really love the Contax T2.
I think one of the best options would be a Barnack with an older 35mm Summaron, but it depends upon the size of the pocket...

Phil Forrest

Film...Contax T3, absolutely.

Digital...maybe Canon S100? I don't have personal knowledge of the S100, but I know the T3 is the BEST if you want 35mm field of view.

For true P&S operation w/flash, IMO the following are all great with some positives/negatives with each. The pentax is my personal favorite but mostly because I prefer its viewfinder.

Nikon AF600 (28mm 3.5)
Pentax UC-1 (32mm 3.5)
Olympus Stylus Epic (35mm 3.5)
Olympus Stylus Epic mju II (35mm 2.8)

If you don't need a flash and don't mind scale focus...
Olympus XA2. The XA isn't really a P&S camera. It's an aperture priority rangefinder. It is one of the best pocketable cameras though.

Minolta TC-1 or Ricoh GR1 (film)
and Ricoh GRD4 (digital).

I like 28's! (Although, looking at my answers again, I guess a dual-Ricoh set up would be cool.

Film: Contax T (if you want a rangefinder) or T3. The Olympus Stylus Epic is also very good, and cheap enough to be nearly disposable. The Ricoh GR1 series has a cult following, but the 28mm lens is too wide for my taste.

Digital: there is no decent pant-pocketable digital. If you expand to jacket pocket, you have quite a few options: Fuji X100, Sigma DP2M, Leica X1, Canon G1 X.

Film: ...
Digital: there is no decent pant-pocketable digital. If you expand to jacket pocket, you have quite a few options: Fuji X100, Sigma DP2M, Leica X1, Canon G1 X.

Beg to differ. The Ricoh GRD series fits the bill (Although since you don't like 28mm, that may be why you excluded it.)

English isn't my native language so I wonder if I have to interpret thread as "P&S best for carrying in a pocket" or ""best P&S which also is pocketable" :confused:

Film: Contax T3 all the way. Super camera. If you want something less expensive, an Olympus XA or XA2.

Digital: Ricoh GRD III or IV. I love the way it renders, especially raw conversion from Lightroom. The images have a very distinctive look which is unlike the usual smooth and plasticky digital stuff.

For a 35mm lens i would say Nikon L35AF (although a bit on the big side) or a Yashica T4 (although ridiculously expensive)
For 28mm lens I absolutely love my Fuji DL Supermini.

Back