Beware: LR Classic 10.1 Freezes some Macs

I work where computers gets some pro usage for image processing.
It is very simple.
Want to keep using seven+ YO computer - stop updating to latest software versions.

Want to use latest software, get new PC every five years.
Which is for personal use just as smart as getting every new Leica, IMO. Do you need M10P or how it is called? Why, if M10 works...

I'm on LR 4.6 and it works fast on cheap, old PC. Can't see any difference on final results... I had LR 6 with new Leica purchase, it was not working on my PC and I have no problems to dump it and keep using old version.

While it didn't crash altogether, it did slow down several processes drastically. I took the above advice and unchecked the use of the GPU for processing but left it checked for display. I had both off and the display suffered for that. Seems to be fine this way.

Is this a Mac problem only? What about Windows 10 machines?

Not necessarily Mac only.

The compatibility issue depends what GPU hardware and GPU interface library Adobe has used for a given operating system release, and how extensively that has been tested against a variety of different GPU configurations. There are a number of different combinations of hardware, operating system, and GPU interface library to build for and test.

Probably best to go to the Adobe user forums and see if anyone on Windows is complaining about the same problem.

G

I work where computers gets some pro usage for image processing.
It is very simple.
Want to keep using seven+ YO computer - stop updating to latest software versions.

Want to use latest software, get new PC every five years.
Which is for personal use just as smart as getting every new Leica, IMO. Do you need M10P or how it is called? Why, if M10 works...

I'm on LR 4.6 and it works fast on cheap, old PC. Can't see any difference on final results... I had LR 6 with new Leica purchase, it was not working on my PC and I have no problems to dump it and keep using old version.

What you say makes sense and is simple, I agree with you.
Just for your info to n the Adobe forum the problem is reported also on 2020 machines running the latest OS !

What you say makes sense and is simple, I agree with you.
Just for your info to n the Adobe forum the problem is reported also on 2020 machines running the latest OS !

I'm certain the OS isn't the issue. It's the GPU hardware and interface libraries that are the issue, as shown by being solvable by turning off GPU acceleration. Adobe did a poor job of testing compatibility across the range of both old AND new systems with this particular release, it seems.

A sucky situation. :(

G

Just to report that having installed LR Classic on my new M1 Macbook Air running Big Sour it is running blisteringly quick with no issues.

am tempted to succumb to the Adobe tax, once they release silicon (arm) version of LR, and buy a M1 Mini around same time.

am not heavy user, and hate to pay it for those months when am not using it, but perhaps I can shuffle back and forth (pay for example couple months and then stop after recent editing and cataloging needs are done).

So glad I’m running stand-alone 6.14

Unfortunately, LR 6.14 was broken in several minor ways even before the death knell of running on macOS Catalina killed it permanently, for me, due to several bits that were still locked into 32-bit compiled code; Adobe announced that these issues would never be fixed. I moved to LR Classic at that point, after trying two/three other solutions that failed to satisfy my needs.

I have been looking for, and continue to seek, a suitable replacement. At present, one of the better solutions looks to be replacing LR Classic with the combination of Photos and RAW Power ... Photos to take over the image management portion of LR, and RAW Power to pull out more image rendering capabilities and expose them to user control. One thing for certain is that Apple will continue to develop and improve Photos as time goes on, and the folks at Gentlemen Coders are doing a good job of continuing their efforts on RAW Power. (I replaced Photoshop with Affinity Photo some time ago ... for the very little I use a pixel-editor and graphics tool like that, Affinity Photo does an excellent job at vastly less cost, and does it more reliably than recent versions of PS, IMO.)

My bigger issue at present is that the image processing app for my Light L16 camera, Lumen, fails to run on macOS Big Sur. This app is the only way to realize the full capabilities of the L16 camera, you cannot obtain the full potential of the L16 camera without it. I knew this happen at some point and kept my older Mac mini system running on macOS Catalina with the last revision of Lumen that runs successfully, so that is now my Light L16 processing system, unless Light.co does a fix and re-issue of the Lumen application. The Light L16 was discontinued some time ago, but it remains a very viable camera as long as I can keep the 2012 mini going. Of course, I've made a point of outputting to my archives ALL my Light L16 exposures as DNG files as I went along, so no work that I've done with the L16 will ever be totally lost.

Such are the trials of being on the 'bleeding edge' of technology ... When I get tired of dealing with it all, I just load a pack of film into a Polaroid SX-70 and go make photographs. Thank you, The Impossible Project! LOL! :)

G

Short Update

Since my last post here, middle december one and half month ago I reverted to the previous version of LR (10.0) and disabled the GPU and worked in this way.

Meantime Adobe released a new update (10.1.1) but it was intended to correct other kind of bug and not the one mentioned here.

Navigating through the Adobe support forums seems the problems regards many users even with recent machines but the common point is a 2GB GPU which probably are not enough (beware I'm not a technician).

Will Adobe solve this? I start to doubt, anyway it seems this is not their priority ! Maybe the marketing suggets is better to dedicate resources and efforts somewhere else, other products, other improvements.

Adobe will get us all eventually. Only a few answers. Never update OS. Keep computer off internet. Do not buy a new camera. If you need a new computer, you will eventually be screwed.

Just rent Adobe which is what they want.

And jump on the bandwagon that believes lasers from outer space caused the 2018 California wildfires.

The lady that help spread that theory in order to deny the existence of climate change is now serving in the US House of Representatives.

With regards to the original topic, I've been using LrC 10.1.1 on a 2013 iMac operating with Catalina - and - knock on wood, no issues thus far.

The lady that help spread that theory in order to deny the existence of climate change is now serving in the US House of Representatives.

With regards to the original topic, I've been using LrC 10.1.1 on a 2013 iMac operating with Catalina - and - knock on wood, no issues thus far.

@ Solinar: great you are ok, just curious how many GB is your GPU ?
Luckly not all Macs are affected by this problem. This is why I think Adobe will not put much effort to solve it, of course I hope to be proven wrong :)

It took time but Adobe solved this bug, LR version 10.2 works as it is supposed to do.
Crossing fingers !

I thought it is correct to let you know, forum is not a place only for complains :)

Robert, thanks for your update. Glad to hear LR is now behaving well! My GPU is AMD Radeon 9 (4Gb) and I never had the freeze problem. Also LR 10.2 is running fine for me on Mojave on 2014 iMac...

It is always a concern that latest software updates won't run properly on older machines. I have just opened LrC on my late 2013 iMac with Catalina and discover that it is running 10.2. Seems to work fine. I would dread incompatibility as I would resent having to scan a computer in perfect working order.

Back