Black Paint Canon LTM Rangefinders!

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
10:15 AM
Post your pics of your Canon black paint LEICA SCREW MOUNT Rangefinders here!

CRF%20P%20Blk%2002.jpg

CRF%20P%20Blk%2001.jpg

CRF%20P%20Blk%2006.jpg

CRF%20P%20Blk%2007.jpg

CRF%20P%20Blk%2009.jpg

CRF%20P%20Blk%2008.jpg

CRF%20P%20Blk%2004.jpg

CRF%20P%20Blk%2005.jpg

Stephen

NO NO NO please don't
I can't afford a black Canon P :( :D
Gotta get me some tissues so I wont drool all over the keyboard:p

Canon RF BLACK Lenses

Canon RF BLACK Lenses

Hi Stephen,
Nice camera and I have still to get a black example for my collection BUT I have managed to procure the three black lenses.
These are a 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8 and a 50mm f/1.2 and these are ONLY three lenses that Canon Inc made for there black cameras.
Each black lens was an option at the time the person bought there black camera bodies. I think why there are so many black cameras with the normal chrome lens attached, is because the purchaser bought the camera at a retail store rather than wait for a black body/lens outfit which had to be ordered ex factory.
I have been keeping tabs/database of black camera/lens combinations for sometime and it seems that they were produced in batches. This is one reason why I can tell if a black RF camera is genuine or not.
The one you have (I think the # is 706541?) is from the second batch produced.
I am not divulging the batch serial numbers as someone (most won’t) will then go out and try and procure a model within that range and have it converted. Same goes for black lenses.
There are ways of recognising fakes beside the body serial numbers.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers Peter

Black lenses_edited-1.jpg

Bill, about how much should one expect to pay for a paint job, black or green? The originals are beyond my reach but maybe a pint-o-paint ?

Hi Stephen,
Nice camera and I have still to get a black example for my collection BUT I have managed to procure the three black lenses.
These are a 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8 and a 50mm f/1.2 and these are ONLY three lenses that Canon Inc made for there black cameras.
Each black lens was an option at the time the person bought there black camera bodies. I think why there are so many black cameras with the normal chrome lens attached, is because the purchaser bought the camera at a retail store rather than wait for a black body/lens outfit which had to be ordered ex factory.
I have been keeping tabs/database of black camera/lens combinations for sometime and it seems that they were produced in batches. This is one reason why I can tell if a black RF camera is genuine or not.
The one you have (I think the # is 706541?) is from the second batch produced.
I am not divulging the batch serial numbers as someone (most won’t) will then go out and try and procure a model within that range and have it converted. Same goes for black lenses.
There are ways of recognising fakes beside the body serial numbers.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers Peter

View attachment 93474

I was under the impression that all early Canon lenses were chrome, and all later versions were black.

(There is no later black version of the 28f2.8 lens.)

Bodies and lenses could have been bought separately, right? Not just as a package.

Edit added: I just checked my Canon lenses, and see that you are referring to the aperture control ring as being black as well. I understand now, thanks.

I have a black painted Canon P and one in Green. Both look cool.
Coincidentally, I am using a black P since two days with a Canon35/2.

Bill, about how much should one expect to pay for a paint job, black or green? The originals are beyond my reach but maybe a pint-o-paint ?

Sorry I didn't see your question here until today. Sometimes I get notices on threads I've subscribed to here, but mostly not.

Black, gray or green is $500, including a full CLA, plus return shipping. The guy does a lot of Leicas. He completely strips off the chrome, then primes and paints. Mine has held up very well over 5 years now. There's been no chipping or flaking off, just normal wearing thru like a factory job.

Just out of curiosity, apart from knowing the serial numbers, just how does one tell a factory black body from a re-paint? Is it something that can be done from examining ebay-type photos or do you need to look closer and/or inside the camera?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but the mention of it earlier in the thread got me wondering...

Just out of curiosity, apart from knowing the serial numbers, just how does one tell a factory black body from a re-paint? Is it something that can be done from examining ebay-type photos or do you need to look closer and/or inside the camera?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but the mention of it earlier in the thread got me wondering...

The black Canon 7 is usually easy to spot, as the black enamel is applied over raw brass. If you can spot brassing on the edges or where the paint is chipped, it's likely the real deal.

The black Canon P is different, the paint is applied over a nickel finish. The paint sticks to the nickel fairly well, but you will see silver under the worn edges. The paint does not stick well to chrome, and it is easily chipped off the chrome, and the chrome has a shinier finish than nickel.

You can see the brass on the edges of my old Canon 7,

P1000005.jpg

black 7

black 7

Good evening to all.
Here is my black 7 ; note the body and lens serials with 4 matching last digits. Also have a black VI-T, I 'll post pictures soon.

Attachments

• canon7black08.jpg
    canon7black08.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1
  • canon7black09.jpg
    canon7black09.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1
I recently added my first black RF camera to my collection so I mounted and even rarer black 35mm f/1.8 onto my model 7.
This model 7 is from the last batch of black model 7 produced.
I have identified a possible six batches of black model 7 cameras produced during 1961-64.

Model 7 BLACK with BLACK 35mm f1.8 #1.jpg

Model 7 BLACK with BLACK 35mm f1.8 #2.jpg

Model 7 BLACK with BLACK 35mm f1.8 #3.jpg

any chance anyone here has been bold enough to get one of the Barnack-copies de-chromed and repainted?

i poked around online for a while but couldn't turn up anything. i know it may be travesty as the chrome that Canon applied is arguably higher quality than Leica's Barnacks. just curious how they would look -- i can't decide whether they would be gorgeous or semi-abominations...

I have a chrome 7 but the light meter surround is black, it matches the shade/sheen as the normal black areas so I assume its factory original but I am happy to be corrected

Back