Booze and creativity

Roger Hicks

Mentor
Local time
4:36 PM
Some reckon they're inseparable. Others reckon they're incompatible. When I started as an assistant in the 1970s, one of my jobs was to keep the wine flowing. Nowadays people seem to drink mineral water. I've always found that I can think more originally with the aid of a drink, and provided I don't get too smashed, it doesn't affect my technical skills adversely -- though I tend not to drink Champagne cocktails while/before working (this is the latest entry on www.rogerandfrances.eu).

What's your experience?

Cheers,

R.

On one hand, I completed my dissertation while having a few glasses of wine every evening.

When it comes to photography though, the pictures i take while having had a few glasses of wine, do not seem so interesting the day after and they definitely come out more blurry...

I find that all my creative inspiration, ideas for new projects, comes while exercising. Whether mountain biking, skate boarding, running or in the gym. I've taken to keeping a journal with me to write down those ideas when they happen.
The increase of physical activity also stimulates an increase in mental activity, a result of blood flow to the brain being increased. Resulting in increases in levels of seratonin which stimulates mood and emotion.

Moderate amounts of booze have been shown to aid creativity. So perhaps a beer after a run would be the best combination?

Fun research here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ivity-level-with-one-bottle-of-this-beer.html

I feel that recreational pharmaceuticals, whether alcohol or other, never actually improve creativity itself, but can dull or remove inhibitions that would otherwise obscure creativity. If you don't posses a reasonable amount of creativity then no amount, small or large, of booze, grass, or other will automagically make you creative.

Well, I can't play the guitar with any alcohol. I can take a picture with some alcohol, but using a manual camera I make mistakes. So, for me I may be more creative mentally but I can't pull it off physically.

I think a beer or two can loosen me up on the streets while photographing. However, anything more than that starts to make matters worse generally...

A friend who hasn't posted here in years calls it "focusing fluid".

Don't all pro photographers hang out in bars during bad midday light?

Chris

This is a very interesting subject for me, and one which I've discussed a lot with my partner. I can't remember taking many photos after alcohol, so can't comment on that, but it definitely helps when I'm designing and stuck with a concept. I also agree with the comment above that it feels to me like it's acting to lower inhibitions rather than stimulating additional creativity. I struggle with the 'blank sheet of paper' at the beginning of the design process, and find alcohol helps get me past this quicker than I otherwise would.

The issue I have is one of guilt. I can spend two days struggling with a design and know that I can get past it in an hour with a couple of drinks. But at 10 in the morning, that feels like a very slippery slope :)

Yes, I think lowering inhibition is the central part: you can make connections more easily.

Churchill (1952): "When I was younger I made it a rule never to take strong drink before lunch. It is now my rule never to do so before breakfast."

Note: "strong" drink. Champagne doesn't count. Though I suppose Champagne cocktails might.

My first wife used to call red wine "writing fluid".

An interesting point made in a similar thread over on the Amateur Photographer forum is how much some people rely on nicotine rather than alcohol.

Cheers,

R.

I'm with those that say some alcohol can be useful to relax and lower some inhibitions, but more than one beer will make me produce absolute crap in any field, even though at the time I might think it's stellar.
A few times I've been seriously hung over, I saw the world very much as flat images. I think my brain then couldn't quite process spatial relations. I had to make no effort at all to pre-visualize, much in the same way I do when photographing while sober. Has anyone else notice this?
I have never been able to actually make photographs in that condition though. Not sure if my judgement was still impaired in these situations or if they would actually be good, but I think so. I have become a more moderate drinker however and don't plan to change that just for the experiment. I'll try to keep a camera ready if it happens anyway.

Well, I can't play the guitar with any alcohol. I can take a picture with some alcohol, but using a manual camera I make mistakes. So, for me I may be more creative mentally but I can't pull it off physically.

I too can't play anymore under even rather slight influence, lose motoric abilities and especially timing and rhythm, I've always envied those who can...

I wonder if that all has to do with the general approach to photography or whatever we're doing? I'm a very rational, analytical thinker and feel insecure when my judgement is impaired - in creative and intellectual endeavors that is, I do enjoy getting tipsy

Back in college in the 70's one glass of wine would let me hand hold my camera down to 1/8th of a second with good results. Being much older now I try to stay above 125. Joe

I feel that recreational pharmaceuticals, whether alcohol or other, never actually improve creativity itself, but can dull or remove inhibitions that would otherwise obscure creativity. If you don't posses a reasonable amount of creativity then no amount, small or large, of booze, grass, or other will automagically make you creative.

That is an interesting observation. I have found that recreational drugs or alcohol can help in the creative process. The key word here is, help. I agree with you that if one does not possess a reasonable amount of creativity, then the use of drugs or drink will not provide much of a spark in the creative process.:cool:

I can't play guitar either high, drunk or sober!

I like to drink a beer while developing film (take a sip, agitate, sip, agitate ... until either the film or beer is done.) If I am blocked on a project, a hit of the green stuff nudges me along.

For posting on the internet ... whisky is the most entertaining!

Then I started at Russian TV they and me were drinking like animals. But always after work. Up to vomiting.
I'm not creative if I'm drunk. I could talk a lot and then sleep. I like to have a drink at the end of the day at home. Or on weekend with family and family friends. Was working outside today, took 10km bike ride as well and now restoring water balance with Viru Estonian Beer.

Cock_tails are for sissies. But I like to have vodka in the beer, sometimes, if I'm eating at one Montreal restaurant chain. They know how to do it right.

I can't play guitar either high, drunk or sober!

I like to drink a beer while developing film (take a sip, agitate, sip, agitate ... until either the film or beer is done.) If I am blocked on a project, a hit of the green stuff nudges me along.

For posting on the internet ... whisky is the most entertaining!

I'd forgotten about that. I find beer a fantastic accompaniment to film developing. Probably not a good idea in the darkroom though. Too easy to slip on your ass and end up covered in something nasty.

I have an endless supply of ideas after a couple of (a few?) drinks, but most of them, upon being examined the next day, are crap.

Still fun, though.:angel:

Completely agree.

Back