Bronica RF vs Mamiya 7, or both

Bronica RF vs Mamiya 7, or both

• Keep Bronica for portraits and sell Mamiya and then buy 45mm for landscapes for Bronica.

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Keep Mamiya for landscapes and sell Bronica and then buy 150mm for portraits for Mamiya.

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • Keep both, Bronica for portraits and Mamiya for landscape

Votes: 27 47.4%

• Total voters
I really liked my Bronica RF645 (the 100mm lens was stunning), but I sold it because I didn't trust the film transport. It was replaced once under warranty, and I sold it after it started getting balky again. Loved that camera, but I just didn't trust it. So now I have a Mamiya 7II with 80mm and 150mm lenses (I'll add a wide eventually). Great camera. No regrets.

The Bronica RF645 is one of my favorite cameras, and I have two of them, and the 45, 65, and 100mm lenses. It is compact and so easy to use. If there's any frustration, it would be that there are no 45mm frames in the viewfinder... but I mostly just frame with the whole window area and leave the external VF home.

Indeed the VF can have slight vertical misalignments, probably easier to just "deal with it" as they say. One of mine is a little off. Never any troubles with film transport, though I have heard the stories. But I do treat cameras with care, and am gentle with film winding anyway.

I've not had a Mamiya, so no way of comparing. I do think the Bronica is a versatile rig that's easy to carry around and gives fine results.

Flu shot, Bronica 45mm
U77I1142813890.SEQ.0.jpg

Confusion, Bronica 65mm
U77I1143170368.SEQ.0.jpg

Doug, I find your picture above, "Confusion," questionable.
The title suggests the elderly driver has had a mental lapse.
The signs on the wall suggest another cause for crashing into the wall.
Either way, it reflects poorly on the driver who, although partially obscured, is still recognizable.
Perhaps you will reconsider whether posting this on the internet is a good idea.
As moderator you can make it disappear, yes?

^^ Are you serious? A self censorship for street photography? The lady was in a public space, so this photo is in my perception fully legitimate. I think we as photographers should not be stricter on what we can show than what the law permits. BTW, what about all the photos of drunks and drug addicts made by Weegee, Vivian Maier, Nan Goldin and numerous other photographers - should we banish them from exhibiting and selling prints?

^ +1 , and it's a brilliantly funny capture of every day life if morning traffic reports are to be believed . Peter

I really liked my Bronica RF645 (the 100mm lens was stunning), but I sold it because I didn't trust the film transport. It was replaced once under warranty, and I sold it after it started getting balky again. Loved that camera, but I just didn't trust it. So now I have a Mamiya 7II with 80mm and 150mm lenses (I'll add a wide eventually). Great camera. No regrets.

This is what scares me about both choices - they're expensive (esp the 7) and either are or will be soon unrepairable.

If you can afford to treat the bodies as potential consumables, OK. That said, in the future this could be like finding a Nikon F Photemic prism that still works

If you're making traditional darkroom prints, 6x7 wins. If you're scanning with an Epson or Canon flatbed scanner, 6x7 wins again. If you're blessed to have a high quality MF scanner ... I'd be inclined to optimize the Bronica system - smaller, faster handling, etc.

Back