Bronica RF645 GAS attack

Local time
4:14 PM
I've been researching MF rangefinders, and the Bronica is on my very short list. I've been shooting more and more B&W and you just can't beat the larger negatives for grain control and tonality.

I've seen a number of photos on this site taken with the RF645. Nice lenses!

Keep your eyes open - I may sell off my Contax IIIa and lenses (35/2.8 Biogon, 50/1.5 Opton Sonnar, 85/2.0 jena Sonnar, and 135/4.0 Sonnar). Everything was serviced by Henry Scherer.

Robert

I've found KEH to be most reasonable. That's where I got my 45mm for the RF.

KEH is excellent - I bought my Mamiya 645 Pro TL system from them. But they are out of RF 645 bodies - only lenses are in stock right now.

Robert

I called Campus Camera - they have one camera left, which is a demo. Price quoted was $1,500 with both the 45mm and 65mm lenses. That nets to $1,150 with the rebate, which is about $100 less than Robert White (not including import duties). Anyone know what import duties would run?

So, it looks as if I'll just watch KEH - eventually a nice camera will appear.

Robert

$1150 with both lenses and aux. finder is a pretty good price. Less than I paid separately.

That IS an excellent price for new body and two lenses; after rebate I paid about that for the body only from Adorama. Robert, there's no import duties for camera gear into the US. :D I've bought from Robert White before, online, and was impressed by their thoroughness and good communication. Why not jump on that good deal from Campus Camera?

I think I will jump, but I need to sell off some other gear first. I have 3 people interested in my Minolta Autocord and I'm going to list a reaaly nice Contaflex Super B on e*ay (with a CLA'd body and all lenses in perfect optical condition). Let's see, what else. I think I'll sell a Zeiss lens or two from my Contax IIIa kit - I love rangefinders, but I really want larger negatives.

I'm inclined to buy from Robert White - if I'm buying new, why not get pristine? Not much price difference, but it will not come with a US warranty.

Robert

I checked prices for the Bronica RF645 in a KEH catalog that's a couple of month old (they have no bodies available now). The price for a body and 65mm lens was about $900. Has anyone here bought one recently? Is KEH now marking them lower, or is the $900 mark about what I should expect from them?

The Robert White deal looks very good indeed!

Robert

Hello Robert,

May I advise caution about parting with all your lovely 35mm Contax gear to buy a Bronica RF645? I bought one with the 65mm lens a couple of years ago and after problems with the rangefinder, which the importers didn't seem able to fix, got a refund and bought an M2 with 50mm rigid Summicron. My photography (mainly street and portrait) has improved now that I use the Leica. The same smoothness of tonality is there (on HP5+, rated ISO 200 and devved in Perceptol) but with better haptics, more exposures per roll, and less of a 'professional' image as far as the public is concerned (an advantage on the streets of Belfast). IMO, the Bronica isn't very good for portraits and the MF neg isn't really advantageous for street. If your thing is architecture or landscape, the Bronica is probably a good bet - you don't need a rangefinder to focus on infinity :)

Cheers,

Seán.

Robert, I'm the one who bought KEH's last RF645 body, sorry! :) That was on June 30, KEH had it listed in 'excellent' condition, and the body-only went for $616. Further contributing to my acute GAS attack was that this one had the framelines for the 135mm lens rather than the 100mm lens. I wouldn't mind finding a 135mm lens now...

I have been using my Bronicas for environmental portraits, quick, impromptu, informal... Here's one, fairly typical: The physical therapist was illustrating a painful problem with the left knee I was getting therapy on. :D

There is no going back - I want that lager negative! And I'm sure that this will, with time, lead me to 4x5. Maybe 8x10 if I start printing with platinum.

I'm going to give the Bronica a go. There are a number of people here using the camera to great effect. And the prices are certainly right. I'll probably go with Robert White, unless I come across a really good deal on a used system.

Robert

Yep - it's chronic, not accute.

I have time to think about this - I'm in the process of deciding which gear to sell to fund this.

I have decided that the KEH prices are too high for this item relative to new from Robert white. And I've decided to sell off some of my Zeiss rangefinder lenses, along with a few other odds and ends.

I suppose I'd be a a bigger hurry if I didn't already have some nice cameras.

Robert

My children, unfortunately, seem bright enough that I need to save for college. Otherwise, I'd just buy and get around to selling someday - maybe. Better clear the shelves before the new stuff arrive. Otherwise I'll just end up building more shelves.

Robert

Back