Café-Bar

169683321.jpg

Out to Lunch, on Flickr. The rooftop bar of the Caravelle Hotel. Saigon, June 2016. Leica M7 - CV 1.2/35 - Kodak 400 TX.

Peter, I love it! The open air design, ceiling fans, large chairs at the tables, checkerboard tiled floor, the atmosphere; that place is the place for me. I would love to be sitting at one of those tables on a humid afternoon drinkinking a beer (make that a few beers) with a group of friends.

Is the Caravelle Hotel still there in that same condition? If so could you go back and take an updated shot in color?

All the best,
Mike

Out to Lunch, on Flickr. The rooftop bar of the Caravelle Hotel. Saigon, June 2016. Leica M7 - CV 1.2/35 - Kodak 400 TX.

Very nice one. This reminds me of the Long Bar in Raffles, Singapore. Though it is much more touristy these days it still retains a good bit of its original charm including overhead fans and a floor covered in peanut shells (A quirky aspect of the Long Bar is the tradition of throwing peanut husks onto the floor to be swept up later by staff - no doubt a hangover to the British rule of old and the prevalence of public school "old-boys" amongst the emigres). One old story about Raffle's Bar holds that back in the day a tiger was once shot in the bar (in reality it was shot under the bar which was elevated) by a Headmaster of a local school (and keen hunter) early in the morning, while still dressed in his pyjamas. (Reminds me of that old Marx Bros / Captain Spalding joke......"One morning in Africa I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. What the elephant was doing in my pyjamas I will never know.")

Just uploaded this to show the similarities. I have a soft spot for such colonial relics. Probably because I am one.

glo20m2.jpg

morning at Badde Manors cafe, Sydney 2019
IIIc CV2mm f/4 LTM
HP5+ @iso125 (accidentally), ID-11 1+1 6min 23C, exhausted fixer (another accident)

U27021I1578043959.SEQ.0.jpg

Back