Camera and Coffee

... Actually there is one commercially-available fruitcake that comes close to my mother’s, and that’s the Claxton ‘dark’ fruitcake from the great metropolis of Claxton, Georgia (also home to Claxton Chicken and Rattlesnake Roundup!). Pretty darned good for store-bought, but the ‘dark’ version seems to be harder to come by versus their ‘regular’ kind. My mother even approved of it, which is saying something...

Vince, thank you for the tip. I just ordered some Claxton ‘dark’ fruitcake.

Actually there is one commercially-available fruitcake that comes close to my mother’s, and that’s the Claxton ‘dark’ fruitcake from the great metropolis of Claxton, Georgia (also home to Claxton Chicken and Rattlesnake Roundup!). Pretty darned good for store-bought, but the ‘dark’ version seems to be harder to come by versus their ‘regular’ kind. My mother even approved of it, which is saying something.
Thanks for the recommendation: I had never heard of Claxton's before, and I was surprised to see it in a Hawaii grocery store today (about 6 USD for a 1 lb block) Regular variety only. Not bad! Glad to see that the list of ingredients does not include candied melon rinds, which are the basis of the stuff which often passes for candied fruit in the USA.

Ah ‘tis the season….

Courtesy of Canada Post and the United States Postal Service, my mother’s homemade Christmas cake from her loving Toronto kitchen. My mother has been making this cake since the early 1950’s, and this year she had a bit of help from one of my sisters. I know that Christmas cake / fruitcake isn’t to everyone’s taste and can sometimes arouse intense emotions from both sides of the aisle (so to speak), but I’m firmly on the ‘loving’ side of Christmas cake (well at least my mother’s). Actually there is one commercially-available fruitcake that comes close to my mother’s, and that’s the Claxton ‘dark’ fruitcake from the great metropolis of Claxton, Georgia (also home to Claxton Chicken and Rattlesnake Roundup!). Pretty darned good for store-bought, but the ‘dark’ version seems to be harder to come by versus their ‘regular’ kind. My mother even approved of it, which is saying something.

Accompanying this bit of motherly love is a freshly-poured cuppa black tea, as well as the Hasselblad 907x all dressed in its holiday best (65mm f/2.8 lens, control grip, optical viewfinder). Can life get any better? I think not :)

Tea, My Mother’s Christmas Cake and the 907x. by Vince Lupo, on Flickr
Vince, I'm a fan of fruitcake as well.... seasonally, but there are non-believers.....412860925_10231312753059659_1678281929630530839_n.jpg

A quiet start to Christmas Eve -- some Trader Joe's French Roast, along with a homemade bagel (yes by yours truly) and homemade egg salad (by yours truly's loving wife). And of course we can't neglect to mention all the black and chrome beauties in the mix -- a pair of modified Hasselblad 1000f's (for use with the digital back), the 45/3.5 Mir-26B, 80/2.8 Opton-Tessar and the 12.5/2 Schneider-Göttingen Xenon. Definitely festive.

Christmas Eve Morning Coffee
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

I was looking at the FA and the F4s years ago...ended up with the F4s...auto focus was the determining factor...oh well...maybe someday...beautiful camera...

You'll have to hurry up because more and more FA end up with fried electronics nowadays.
Not surprised. The electronics fried on my Canon ae1program right after I got it back from having the “canon squeal” fixed on my camera. I did get a roll or 2 of film through it though. Thank goodness my late son bought me one just like it & has no squeal.

You'll have to hurry up because more and more FA end up with fried electronics nowadays.

That's an issue with all the all electronic cameras, but especially the earlier generations. Hopefully, the later generations will hold up better, but I'm not too confident. Hard to beat the durability of the older mechanical M's and F's.

I was looking at the FA and the F4s years ago...ended up with the F4s...auto focus was the determining factor...oh well...maybe someday...beautiful camera...

I had an F4s back in the day, great camera. If I'm going to go old-school and shoot film, I want manual focus too, just a nostalgia thing for me I guess. Plus, there's so much nice old manual-focus Nikon glass available.

Back