Camera Work

More of "that kind" of photo news.

This kind of thing is getting to be a common thing now.

The Winning Photo of the $120K HIPA Prize Was Apparently Staged
Mar 18, 2019 Michael Zhang

The prestigious Hamdan International Photography Award (HIPA) has announced its 2019 winners, and Malaysian photographer Edwin Ong Wee Kee won the $120,000 Grand Prize with a photo shot in Vietnam showing a mother carrying two children. But the win is proving controversial today after a behind-the-scenes photo revealed that the shot was apparently staged.

The theme of this year’s HIPA contest was “Hope,” and the winners were unveiled on March 12th. Here’s the image that was used to announce Kee’s winning photo:

“[H]is photo documented an intense humanitarian moment,” HIPA writes. “The feelings of a Vietnamese mother whose speech disorder did not prevent her from feeling hopeful and evoking a sense of strength for her children.”
And it seems that Kee has been promoting his photo as being the result of an unexpected and “unplanned” moment:
“In the world’s biggest single contest prize open to the global photography community, Malaysian Edwin hit big with his single image taken from a recent photo trip to Vietnam,” PDNPulse writes. “Although he describes himself as a keen enthusiast, his full time profession is as a traditional Chinese medicine physician. His roadside shot of a Vietnamese woman and child was not planned and came about due to an unforeseen stop.”
But the photo seems to have been at least a little more planned or posed than Kee describes. Photographer and Street Photo BD Magazine founder Ab Rashid shared a behind-the-scenes photo today that seems to have been taken at around the same time as the winning photo.

As you can see, a crowd of photographers was apparently gathered around the mother at the same time as Kee, meaning his photo was just one of a large number of nearly identical photos that emerged from the portrait session.

Another classic photo of a photography tour group gathered around one subject, shooting the same image from almost the same angle,” writes picsofasia.

https://petapixel.com/2019/03/18/the-winning-photo-of-the-120k-hipa-prize-was-apparently-staged/

I like Jan Dobrovský's work. He's Czech, and part of the 400ASA Documentary Photographers Collective. His new book, Families, about Roma families in Northern Bohemia is available and looks good, though unfortunately it doesn't currently ship to Australia.

I like Jan Dobrovský's work. He's Czech, and part of the 400ASA Documentary Photographers Collective. His new book, Families, about Roma families in Northern Bohemia is available and looks good, though unfortunately it doesn't currently ship to Australia.

More great work. Not normally a fan of the 3:2 aspect ration but Jan makes it work very well

Really nice stuff. Thanks for posting.

I think Koudelka may have some influence in his work ?

pkr

"Shirley Baker (1932 – 2014) was one of Britain’s most compelling yet underexposed social documentary photographers. Her street photography of the working-class inner-city areas, taken from 1960 until 1981, would come to define her humanist vision. Shirley’s curiosity and engagement with the everyday world around her resulted in many different strands of work, many of which are yet to be exhibited, each of which confirms her acute observation, visual humour as well as compassion for the lives of ordinary people as distinctive in its exploration of post-war British culture."

I can only agree - I love her photographs. Here's the link to her street photo gallery, mostly in Manchester and Salford.

I hope her site doesn't disappear. She has a few books, still available.

Matt Black updated his website.

The image quality of his black and white work is really good on my monitor. I would love to speak with him on his methods. Willie, do you know how Matt achieved this look to his work?

Hi to my CW pals, pkr

https://www.mattblack.com/

Matt Black updated his website.

The image quality of his black and white work is really good on my monitor. I would love to speak with him on his methods. Willie, do you know how Matt achieved this look to his work?

Hi to my CW pals, pkr

https://www.mattblack.com/

I once heard him say something about the lack of any decent light where he lives/works and how it impacts his photographs. Hard sun and little shade

Michael Wolf 1954 - 24 April 2020

RIP Michael

http://photomichaelwolf.com/#

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...l-wolf-architecture-density-tokyo-compression

"The award-winning German-born photographer, perhaps best known for his 2009 series titled “Architecture of Density,” passed away in his sleep at his home on the island of Cheung Chau in Hong Kong this week. He was 65.

Born in 1954, Wolf began his career as a photojournalist in Europe and the US before turning his gaze to the more under-appreciated qualities of major cities around the world, including Tokyo, Chicago, and Paris. But he was most fascinated by Hong Kong, where he moved to in 1994, and it was there that he produced his most important body of work.
His last book project, Cheung Chau Sunrises, was published this year, and showcased photos taken over the past two years in Hong Kong from 5:30 to 7:30am each morning.
“He used to look forward to waking up to see the next sunrise and be curious about what would unfold in front of him,” Sarah Greene, director of Hong Kong’s Blue Lotus Gallery, which represented Wolf, told Quartz. “Everyday he would look at the same landscape but yet it would look different everyday. This was Michael in a nutshell, curious about life, art and photography, a sensitive observer who perceived the world like no other.”"

More
https://qz.com/quartzy/1605390/michael-wolf-whose-photos-of-hong-kong-showed-its-density-died-at-65/

More Fake Photos.. How Beth Moon screwed the pooch.

This Milky Way Photo on Nat Geo is Raising Eyebrows

petapixel.com

By Michael Zhang

National Geographic recently published a series of gorgeous photos by photographer Beth Moon that shows some of the world’s oldest trees under the stars. But one photo, in particular, is now raising eyebrows after sharp-eyed readers noticed something strange about it.

The article, titled “See the world’s oldest trees by starlight,” was published on April 26th by Nat Geo science staff writer Catherine Zuckerman. It features photos by Moon, work that’s part of a project titled Diamond Nights, and here’s what the Nat Geo article says about how the photos were shot:
For Diamond Nights, Moon made the transition from film photography to digital capture. It’s a more light-sensitive technique, she says, and results in incredibly vivid images. Planning all her shoots around moonless nights, she wanted each tree to be primarily bathed in starlight, with additional glow from flashlights, for example, as necessary.
Because of the dark conditions, Moon set her camera on a slow shutter speed. This meant standing by for wind, and pausing during gusts. “With a 30-second exposure you don’t want the branches shaking,” she says. “So there was a lot of downtime.”
The article was shared across National Geographic‘s social media accounts. On Facebook, where Nat Geo has over 45 million followers, the shared story has racked up over 23,000 Likes, 7,900+ shares, and 500+ comments.

But people soon took to the comments to point out something fishy about one of Moon’s photos, a wide-angle shot with the caption: “Baobab trees are silhouetted against the Milky Way galaxy in Botswana.”

A closer examination reveals that a central area of the Milky Way appears to have been cloned at least a few times within the photo:

There’s no mention within the article of any of the photos being manipulated photo illustrations, and the images are presented as long-exposure photographs.
“Please do some research on a subject before misrepresenting the true night sky,” writes a commenter named Greg Stevens on the Facebook post. “Don’t get me wrong these are nice ‘picture’ but some of them have had the clone stamp used to create a false Milky Way and this should have been made clear before publishing.”
We’ve reached out to National Geographic and photographer Beth Moon for comment and will update this article if/when we hear back.

Images and comments at the link.

https://petapixel.com/2019/05/07/this-milky-way-photo-on-nat-geo-is-raising-eyebrows/

Interesting work by Anush Babajanyan. Love the diptychs in "This is our home" because of their visual and the story behind them. And "The House of Culture" seems me to be a book for my book addiction... I love hand made books!

robert

Back