Minnesota Can we get a Twin Cities Club going???

MNnice22

No idea what I am doing.
Local time
8:53 AM
Hey everyone, or more likely just the one person who sees this. I want to get a club together to go shoot once a month on a Saturday or Sunday. Just to get together, chat, shoot, and involve beginners and vets alike. If I can get even one person to join, I'll set it up.

Cheers,
Andy

*******Update********
Our second ever meeting is this weekend!

When: March 18, 2017

Where: Spyhouse Coffee
907 N Washington Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Time: Get there between 0700 and 0800. Hit the streets after 0800.

Plan: We don't need a stinking plan!

Last edited:
Great! Already way more interest than I thought. As I procrastinate everything at work, I have come up with a few things.

1. I vote to make it a recurring event on the second Saturday each month.

2. I also vote we do it with morning coffee as the starting point since I do much better with a buzz(or drinks if we do an evening shoot). Plus its an easy social meeting place.

3. We try to kick it off on Saturday, February 11, around 7 or 8 am.

As we are the founding members, I value your input greatly! Thanks for humoring me, hopefully it'll be fun!

Cheers,
Andy

Sounds like this could be fun!

How about we say show up between 7 and 8 am with a photo walk kicking off at 8. That way we can all say hi and exchange high 5's before heading out and about. Looks like there are plenty of opportunities for cool shots around there.

Thanks for the inputs! I will try to edit my original post to reflect our decisions.

Sounds like this could be fun!
How about we say show up between 7 and 8 am with a photo walk kicking off at 8. That way we can all say hi and exchange high 5's before heading out and about. Looks like there are plenty of opportunities for cool shots around there.

There are several opportunities for photos in the area: the industrial area north of University, the Mississippi River, the U of M campus, the Weisman Art Museum (this is the subject of the show I have at T-Rex) and others. Depending on what's decided, it may be better to drive to the area we choose. For example, the Stone Arch Bridge/St. Anthony Falls area is nice, but would require driving.

Looking forward to it...

Also... Surly Brewing is located back in the industrial area north of University and a fairly short walk from T-Rex.

Just saying...

Sounds like a great idea. I'd like to throw out a couple other opportunities for photographers in the Twin Cities area.

Street Photographer is a group that meets the first Tuesday of every month at 6:30. "Please join us for the STREET PHOTOGRAPHER group at the Mpls Photo Center. A monthly gathering and forum, either on or off-site, created by Valerie Jardin, acclaimed street photographer, blogger and exhibiting artist, and Jeff Harrington, executive director at MPC."

The F•Stop Group meets the third Wednesday of every month. "The F•Stop Group is a community of photographers that meet on a monthly basis, September through June, and are dedicated to critiquing and supporting each other's work. The mission of the F•Stop Group is to promote aesthetic and technical growth in each person's photography. Tom Arndt hosts the group and Sally Mars will co-host."

Both groups are hosted at the Mpls Photo Center. If you haven't been to the MPC put it on your list. They offer classes, guest speakers, studio rentals and galleries. Check out their web site here: http://www.mplsphotocenter.com/index.php

Hope to see you on the 11th! Cheers, JC

Is an hour walk too long for everyone? I have been looking at some rough routes that encompass a little bit of the River Road and surface streets for variety. If we go to the pedestrian bridge at the U campus via University, then go back along River Pkwy to Fulton St and then up to University again we would be back around 9-9:30. Personally I might take a breather and then grab a beer at Surly when it opens up.

As always, inputs are very welcome. Next week I will figure out a way to get the final info to everyone interested.

Cheers!

One of my favorites from the area...

med_U48689I1485998262.SEQ.0.jpg

Alright team, our first meet up is this weekend! As long as one other person shows up, I will tally it a success. I am going to make an info message this week and PM everyone who has rogered up so far. I will also post it in my initial post so any new comers can get it too.

If anyone has bright ideas or inputs, please let me know!

Cheers

Great time today visiting and making photographs.

Weather was beautiful, conversation even better.

I understand a meeting may take place the second Saturday of March.

One gent is serving in the Navy, the rest of us had been on active duty in the Navy in the seventies.

Fun and lots of smiles!

This past weekend was, in my opinion, a success! My only regret was not taking a photo together. Next meet up will be the second Saturday in March which actually works out to be the 11th again. Opinions on where are always welcome, it will be firmed up a week before the meet up.

Thanks for coming out! Once I get some photos scanned I will toss them on here.

Cheers,
Andy

Back