Industar LTM Canon 7 - industar 61d won't mount?!

Industar M39 lenses
It mounts fine on my fed 2c, but my new (lovely) canon 7 it won't screw completely on.....
Any ideas?

You know all those threads about subtle differences in thread size between true LTM and Soviet LTM?

I had the same issue with an I 61L/D. But it's not the particular lens type, it's just Soviet quality "control".

I've a Canon 50/1.4 that is nice and the 1.8 is well regarded as well. Or try your luck with another FSU lens: most fit.

You allude to an Industar 61/D; my Industar 61D/L (...same lens?!) mounts properly on both my Canon 7 and Canon 7s.

I got an I-26M once that wouldn't go on my Zorki 1D! It took quite a few tries, but I finally got it to seat properly. I figure there was a bad spot on one of the threads that just had to be chased out. It's not only quality control you have to look out for, but the softness of the materials some FSU lenses are made out of.

PF

Hi,

I was told it was the other way around. Meaning Canon assumed the obvious and didn't realise, at first, that Leica used an odd thread pitch. (It's not odd really, if you are a microscope maker... )

So your Canon could be an early one or else repaired with a part from an early one; that assumes that what I was told was correct.

Regards, David

PS Odd how the old USSR engineers always get the blame isn't it?

By the time Canon made the 7 (1961 onwards), there was no question that they knew the specs for an LTM lens mount. I also had a FED 50 3.5 lens that refused to mount on a Canon 7, and also on my Leica IIIF. It is the Russian tolerances that are wide.

By the time Canon made the 7 (1961 onwards), there was no question that they knew the specs for an LTM lens mount. I also had a FED 50 3.5 lens that refused to mount on a Canon 7, and also on my Leica IIIF. It is the Russian tolerances that are wide.

Hi,

Interesting, I've never seen the USSR's blue prints and so don't know what their tolerances or matching system was, it could have been like Leitz's was... Equally it could be wear and tear as we are talking about some very old gear.

Interestingly, I have a very bashed and battered old Industar that is one of the nicest ex-USSR lenses I own and use. The state it is in means you have to start at f/2.8 and count the "stops" as it shuts the aperture down...

Regards, David

It may be a case of teaching granny to suck eggs, but have you made sure the lens is at its closest distance before mounting? Apart from the Jupiter 12 , which is a bit picky about which cameras it will fit on, including some Feds, my Soviet LTM lenses will all fit on my Canons (VT and P), although sometimes they're a bit temperamental about fitting on even Soviet cameras.

The thread pitch or depth is ever-so-slightly different. I was doing a test with two Soviet lenses, and FED 50/2 collapsible, and a Jupiter 3. I was attempting to shoot these lenses with a Kipon adapter on an X-Pro. The FED lens threaded on the adapter, the Jupiter lens would not, even though both lenss mounted on my FED S and Zorki 2 camera bodies. The threads on Japanese cameras appear to have tighter tolerances than Soviet cameras.

When my Industar 61LD is adjusted to infinity it won't screw onto my Canon P. When set to close focus it screws on easily.

When my Industar 61LD is adjusted to infinity it won't screw onto my Canon P. When set to close focus it screws on easily.

There's something to be said for that, as the instructions for the P state that any lens over 85mm should be adjusted to close focus before mounting. It could easily apply to the FSU lenses of shorter lengths.

PF

Has anyone thought that the thread problem bight be with the Canon & not the lens. Odd that 2 FSU lenses will not fit. I hope not & you get it worked out. I agree with setting the lens for close focus before mounting.

It mounts fine on my fed 2c, but my new (lovely) canon 7 it won't screw completely on.....
Any ideas?

I once got what I thought was a good deal on a bunch of Russian Lieica screw mount lenses at a camera show.

Then I found out most of them would not mount on a Leica IIIf.

I got my $ back, and have not bought a Russian Leica screw mount lens since.

Stephen

There's something to be said for that, as the instructions for the P state that any lens over 85mm should be adjusted to close focus before mounting. It could easily apply to the FSU lenses of shorter lengths.

PF
If you have any of the relevant lenses, you will have a better appreciation of what is being said here.

1) Longer lenses tend to have tongues which interact with the RF cam. Setting minimum focus pulls the tongue in, preventing it bouncing off (or hanging on) the RF cam.
2) All lenses are easier to put on (and take off) Leica-style RFs set to minimum focus because it's easier to get them aligned when you don't have to push on the RF cam.
3) FSU cameras have solid cams (not rollers) and all the above applies doubly so to them.
4) With lenses with rings that match the RF cam, and roller RF cams, there is little to worry about either way. This is the case with a I-61 on a Canon 7.

If it ever happens to you, you will appreciate that some (definitely not all) Soviet lenses have thread incompatibilities with true Leica Thread Mount (39mm 26TPI). Some have troubles with Soviet cameras. But Leica, Canon, Cosina etc have tighter thread tolerances than the Soviets had. Period.

Please, people, stop contributing to threads unless you have actual knowledge of the actual problem/s.

My I-61L/D, happily and famously traveling Australia and New Zealand for RFF, is 100% compatible with the FED 2 it is attached to. And 100% incompatible with a Bessa R, 2 x Leica IIIc's and about 6 LTM-M adapters. I don't think the LTM-M adapter incompatibility is due to RF cam issues because it's true even with the adapter unattached to a camera. And it's true with cheap Chinese (chromed brass) adapters as well as a Leica one and a Voigtlander (Cosina) one.

On the other hand I have an I-50, a FED 50, a J-8 and a J-12 which work with all the above, including the FED 2. And no other lens of other manufacturer (Cosina, Nikon, Leica, Canon) has ever seized, focal lengths 21mm - 100mm.

Hi,

Interesting, I've never seen the USSR's blue prints and so don't know what their tolerances or matching system was, it could have been like Leitz's was... Equally it could be wear and tear as we are talking about some very old gear.

Interestingly, I have a very bashed and battered old Industar that is one of the nicest ex-USSR lenses I own and use. The state it is in means you have to start at f/2.8 and count the "stops" as it shuts the aperture down...

Regards, David

not pertaining to the question at hand and merely a side comment, but, when talking about FSU lenses, in general, external condition is inversely proportional to optical quality/ability to get good pictures out of the lens.

lenses that didn't work well were put away and lay unused, while lenses that could produce a decent image were used, and thus have the external patina/wear and tear/battle damage to match.

Back