Canon EOS RP

the shorter grip is a bummer.

comparison-800x316.jpg

Lots of negativity here.

I'm not sure what the difference is between a good-looking camera and an ugly one anymore. This one looks all right to me, though I can't think of any new camera that is beautiful. The new Nikon Z-cameras are certainly ugly to my eyes, but that's the norm now.

- Murray

PS. I can't make the OP's link work.

Lots of negativity here.

I'm not sure what the difference is between a good-looking camera and an ugly one anymore. This one looks all right to me, though I can't think of any new camera that is beautiful. The new Nikon Z-cameras are certainly ugly to my eyes, but that's the norm now.

- Murray

PS. I can't make the OP's link work.

I can agree with this, these new cameras kinda have that bloated look.

Have you ever used these Sonys? They are clunky...and feel like a TV remote... especially the A7. IBIS doesn`t work for all photography styles.
Yes, I've used the A7ii. It didn't feel like my TV remote. I didn't have any problem using the Sonys, but I prefer the haptics of my XT2. It handles more like my film cameras with the aperture ring on the lens and the shutter speed and ISO dials on the top plate. I mention the A7 because it has the same specs as the EOS RP, is five years old, and half the price. The EOS RP is not a revolution in features or price as it is being portrayed.

It doesn’t need to be a revolution... there are a lot canon users in the world who will think that a a brand new canon mirrorless ff camera for $1400 is quite nice. Not everyone switches brands ever year. If everyone only wanted the cheapest camera, there wouldn’t be a so many choices in a camera store.

With A7 my L lenses are going to somewhat works. Some of them.
With PR all of my L, EF lenses are going to work.

It doesn't look cobbled together from mis-matched parts like the Sonys and Sony's competition. In other words, it's the least ugly of an ugly crew. Fourteen hundred dollars introductory price ain't bad. The features seem reasonable without being ground breaking. It can take the current range of Canon EF lenses using an adapter. Really, this appears to me to be the first new full frame that's worth a second look. If I was interested in full frame, I would consider this one first.

It will be a great bargain FF mirrorless camera in a few years, once the price goes down to Sony A7 levels for a new one.

Will be interesting see what Canon do with apsc line. Sony seems determined to keep theirs alive, a6400 just being announced. Canons two mirrorless systems cannot share lenses like Sony.

They at least need a regular style 50mm (F1.8 to F2) at a decent price for these cameras. A $1600 body with a $3000 50mm is not going to work too well for the budget conscious crowd. I'm not an adapter fan at all.

I agree, and a smaller “kit” zoom, like a reasonably sized 24-100/4 or something. It’s a hard sell to the masses when it’s not smaller or cheaper than the SLR it apparently replaces.
I can hear the salesperson now, “look how small and light this body is! It’s cheap too. Now you can choose this oversized 24-120/4 for an extra $1000, or the 50/1.4 for an extra $3000. The 50 is bigger and heavier too!”
A 35/2 and a 50/2 or thereabouts that are small and affordable will be an excellent addition (for Nikon too)

I agree, and a smaller “kit” zoom, like a reasonably sized 24-100/4 or something. It’s a hard sell to the masses when it’s not smaller or cheaper than the SLR it apparently replaces.
I can hear the salesperson now, “look how small and light this body is! It’s cheap too. Now you can choose this oversized 24-120/4 for an extra $1000, or the 50/1.4 for an extra $3000. The 50 is bigger and heavier too!”
A 35/2 and a 50/2 or thereabouts that are small and affordable will be an excellent addition (for Nikon too)

Canon is already offering a 35mm 1.8 with IS in native R (actually "RF") mount that I see selling for $499.00.

- Murray

Back