Canon EOS RP

The 35/1.8 IS STM is not big. Other than that I doubt we'd see any truly small native lenses soon. Manufacturers are concentrating on rushing out big pro lenses for the Tokyo Olympics next year.

That's why it seems to be good for adapted small lenses for the moment...

On a tangent, this ties in with the Olympus E-M1X. A pro body with AI based subject tracking of faces, people and cars is definitely aimed at events like the Olympics.

Man, can you imagine shooting the Olympics?? I have no idea what that would entail in terms of red tape and restrictions, but I imagine the experience would still be awesome.

Will be interesting see what Canon do with apsc line. Sony seems determined to keep theirs alive, a6400 just being announced. Canons two mirrorless systems cannot share lenses like Sony.

While Canon's EF-S lenses only fit the APS-C models, Canon's full frame EF lenses fit both full frame and APS-C.

well, technically that's just point of sale. it doesn't say anything about the percent of current full frame mirrorless users.

well, technically that's just point of sale. it doesn't say anything about the percent of current full frame mirrorless users.

I’d say Point of Sale data is a pretty good indicator of how well a model is selling. The ‘percent of current full frame mirrorless users’ is 100% irrelevant for how well a new model is selling now. But as we all know, you can come up with statistics to prove anything, so choose a different set of statistics if you want.

Sony 67 percent Canon 22 Nikon the rest...Sony clearly dominates that market sir...like I said too little too late. Now they're playing catch-up in a down sizing segment. And that's just FF...smaller sensor Fuji is mopping the floor with them

It has nothing to do which brand dominates, I just pointed to this article, to show what your DOA statement was false.
Are Sony DSLRs DOA according to your logic?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-d...0050007.c?id=pcmcat302400050007&intl=nosplash

But how well Canon FF mirrorless cameras have sold recently does not tell you what percentage of the FF mirrorless userbase uses Canon FF mirrorless.

Point being that recently Sony FF mirrorless sold less than Canon FF mirrorless, but the Sony FF mirrorless userbase is still much larger.

It’s not like I’m a Sony fanboy. I like the Canon R grip the best, and I’d get one if it had a joystick, good eye-detect AF, dual card slots, FF 4k, and a 50/1.8 IS and 70-200/2.8.

These cameras (Canon and Nikon) are DOA already. Sony and Fuji are in charge of this market. Too little too late

Sony 67 percent Canon 22 Nikon the rest...Sony clearly dominates that market sir...like I said too little too late. Now they're playing catch-up in a down sizing segment. And that's just FF...smaller sensor Fuji is mopping the floor with them

But how well Canon FF mirrorless cameras have sold recently does not tell you what percentage of the FF mirrorless userbase uses Canon FF mirrorless.

Point being that recently Sony FF mirrorless sold less than Canon FF mirrorless, but the Sony FF mirrorless userbase is still much larger.

It’s not like I’m a Sony fanboy. I like the Canon R grip the best, and I’d get one if it had a joystick, good eye-detect AF, dual card slots, FF 4k, and a 50/1.8 IS and 70-200/2.8.

If you go back and read the thread, no one said that Canon had a bigger userbase than Sony. I doubt anyone would argue, they've been in the game for a lot longer. Contarama said that the Canon and Nikon were "DOA". But, point of sale data shows anything but DOA, it actually shows that a LOT of people bought a Canon.

If you read into it a little, you could easily infer that people only bought a Sony because it was the only affordable game in town. They literally had no competition. A little competition and they fall over at the first hurdle.

The Sony large base is simply because they were alone with overpriced Leica for years.

Canon has two versions of 70-200 2.8. One thing "not a Sony fanboys" needs to understand is what Canon EF lenses works on R just like on any EOS camera.

I have no idea why this dual slot comes just as often as film scanning in airport comes.
I have digital cameras for years and non of them dual slots. Never a problem.
Maybe it was the problem in nineties, just like it was problem film scanning in seventies.

I not a Sony fanboy for sure. I had Sony A7 in shopping card few times, great price on bodies, but every time I look at lenses to deal with, I'm glad I have Canon L glass.

And if I need 4K, with Canon it is different gear. But I don't need it. I'm taking still pictures and I'm at photography forums.

How difficult it is to understand ?
I have Canon EOS from nineties. I still have it. It works. It has no dual slots, it has one film channel. I have ten years old Canon DLSRs and they reliable as nothing else I ever had. And no dual slots in them either. With RP I could replace them with simple, small body. And still use best lenses I ever have. And bunch of old film EOS lenses.
How big is Canon EF lenses users base?

It just same as my digital Leica. It has no video, it has no eye focus, it has no dual slots. But it works just same way with the lens (via adapter) I'm using since eighties.

Sony has none of it. No history, no not expensive, film era lenses. And no professional service as Canon has where I'm. You know, it is nice to have service nearby at least for one camera brand :)

There is no question that for Canon users with a gaggle of Canon lenses the Canon mirrorless cameras will be attractive. Brand loyalty counts for a lot. I was just pointing out that the Canon EOS RP specifications are comparable to the five year old Sony A7 which is half the price. And you are going to have to use an adapter either way.

$1299 is pretty great but no 50mm at a decent price seems silly.

I am sure the Canon will cook up a nifty fifty and a posh fast 50 with the red ring in the near future for their FF mirrorless system.

They got a whole slew of zoom lenses and even two 85mm lenses slated for sale later in 2019, I am sure the fifty mils will not be far behind.

Much better quick offerings and varied selection in native glass in a short time span than Nikon or even Sony when the A7 was introduced for their FF mirrorless cameras.

I am sure the Canon will cook up a nifty fifty and a posh fast 50 with the red ring in the near future for their FF mirrorless system.

They’re selling the 50mm 1.2 already for $2199, but no other 50mm is on any road map. That is my point. For me, a decent but cheap 50mm is a must have for a cheap camera. Others will say that they have a 35mm at an ok price, but to me the two focal lengths are completely different.

They’re selling the 50mm 1.2 already for $2199, but no other 50mm is on any road map. That is my point.

Its good that they are selling the fast f 1.2 already.

I am sure a run of the mill Canon f 1.8 50mm will be not too far off. That speed of very affordable 50mm lens is a traditional Canon staple.

The slow macro 50mm lens will be a there too, eventually.

Its good that they are selling the fast f 1.2 already.

I am sure a run of the mill Canon f 1.8 50mm will be not too far off. That speed of very affordable 50mm lens is a traditional Canon staple.

The slow macro 50mm lens will be a there too, eventually.

True, maybe a 50mm 1.8 is just not sexy enough for a road map.

Back