Canon LTM Canon LTM 50mm 1.5 "Sonnar" Photos Please!

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
5070596198_e3372d2afd_b.jpg

What is the close focus distance on the 50/1.5? I have the 50/1.8 and it's a full meter+. But a few of these shots look noticeably tighter than that.

Fargo Air Museum

Fargo Air Museum

Drug store scan, R2A body...

Attachments

• prop.jpg
    prop.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Jeezus... and I bought mine for $200 at a show last spring. Had some coating issues inside, but nothing big.

Wow this sold for a hefty sum.

Wow! Yes it did......these lenses used to be $250/$300 lenses, not anymore.

It is really in my opinion the BEST of all the Sonnar Clones, better than the Nikkor SC. f1.4/50

It shoots best in Black N' White I think, but with filters or color correction it can be as "punchy" as the Nikkor is in color, (the Canon seems to draw to a reddish cast and the Nikkor more to the blue). I think the Canon is also less likely to flare as the original Zeiss Sonnar or the Nikkor SC does, but you need a hood, (original Canon is rare) but aftermarket screw-in is on evilbay 40mm.

I am a big fan of this Canon, but I have to use it more often, I find myself always picking the original 1940's Sonnar out of my bag to use on my IIIC K while it's lighter than the Canon, but the build quality is much much better on the Canon as the original CZJ Sonnar is/was........I'm just lazy when I don't use the Canon :)

It is MAYBE? the BEST of all the Sonnar variations to use on a Leica M, due to it's weight, it gives perfect balance and add a soft release and wola!.......Leica M8 owners take notice!

If you don't have this lens, I suggest you find one now, while prices are not going to ever go down on these again.

Tom

Last edited:
I sold my Nikon 5cm 2.0 and then I traded a really nice lens for a Canon 50/1.5. I became convinced that I wanted to use such a lens.

It is really in my opinion the BEST of all the Sonnar Clones, better than the Nikkor SC. f1.4/50

Tom

I respectfully disagree (it's all a matter of taste, really) - I think Nikkor is better. It's sharper and has a huge advantage - it can focus closer. Otherwise they are very similar IMO. Had both and after running some tests sold Canon and kept the Nikkor LTM 50/1.4. But I do think that Canon is a very good lens too.

I just shot another roll of Fuji 400 Superia through mine on a Canon P. I'm enjoying the lens, not as sharp as the F1.8, but nice look.

5416036878_a9f2984bfb_b.jpg

5415425629_21762bf4af_b.jpg

I respectfully disagree (it's all a matter of taste, really) - I think Nikkor is better. It's sharper and has a huge advantage - it can focus closer. Otherwise they are very similar IMO. Had both and after running some tests sold Canon and kept the Nikkor LTM 50/1.4. But I do think that Canon is a very good lens too.

I am fairly certain that the Canon 50/1.5 was optimized for F4 and know that the Nikkor was optimized for wide-open.

I changed the shim on my Canon to optimize for F1.5, and it made a real difference. It is sharp, the Bokeh is smoother than the Nikkor. The Nikkor has close-focus ability that few Leica mount lenses can match. I made a J-8 match it.

Beautiful portrait Squinza. I've been using my 5D + 24-70 lately and thinking it was something special, but then you see something like this and realize my Canon Sonnar is all I really need.

Thanks, Koni and Chris!
It is part of a set taken on last sunday: I was shooting with 5DII and 200mm/2, but had with me my M8. I think I took 300 photoes with my DSLR and maybe 3 with the Leica, but this one really deserve a mention, even among the shining perfect photoes taken with the 5D: modern and vintage glass renders very differently, but both have a place in my bag!

Squinza - I shoot a 5D as well and really like the images, I just wish I could put my vintage glass in front of that great sensor (and still have AF, metering etc etc). Shots like this with an M8 get me to wondering if it would be a good companion to the 5D. I'd hate to give up my M3 or M6, and as long as M8 prices aren't comparable I'm in no danger of selling, but if they were closer then I'd seriously consider trading up. Digital processing and workflow is far less onerous than film and that's worth a lot right there. Add in the images you've shown and it gets harder and harder to resist.

Please post more if you would, I'd love to see them.

Chris

Leica M6 + Canon 50mm f/1.5 LTM + Agfa Vista 100

Leica M6 + Canon 50mm f/1.5 LTM + Agfa Precisa E6

Leica M6 + Canon 50mm f/1.5 LTM + Fuji Reala

Leica M6 + Canon 50mm f/1.5 LTM + Agfa Precisa E6

Back