North Carolina Charlotte this weekend. Any tips?

Kent, or anybody else ... Any further thoughts? My schedule is by the seat of my pants! Considering a family day of it, maybe overnight -my sister lives in South Charlotte.

I'm up for hanging out a bit, maybe doing some wandering and shooting.

Argentinian (ticien... auto correct won't let me spell the name correctly!) also expressed an interest in meeting for a drink. What time might be best for you?

Kent

Kent, or anybody else ... Any further thoughts? My schedule is by the seat of my pants! Considering a family day of it, maybe overnight -my sister lives in South Charlotte.

PS- being as I'm a noob here I'll rely on you guys to pick a spot for some nice wandering once the drinks have flowed.

I'll be meeting a fellow RFFer at the Common Market at 11am. Feel free to join in if your around!

Kent

For railfans,the Spencer Shops are not too far northeast from Charlotte. Need to work this weekend. One of these daysI'll get back to Nofth Carolina.

Last minute... I am out! :-(

Have fun everybody and someone please have that chicken liver dinner at the Coop!

Fun time. Thanks to David for spending a good part of the afternoon tipping a few beers and clicking the shutter with me. Great town, looking forward to my next visit.

Duh. I forgot to ever come back here with pix. It's a good job I had subscribed to the thread so was reminded when Al posted. Nothing special -- my shooting was pretty boring that day for some reason. (Maybe the flat cloudy lighting...) Kent and I just wandered around South End from, uh, the place where we started with beers, to the place where we had the other beers.

All of below are from my Canon P with CV Skopar 35/2.5. Delta 400 pushed to 800 (because the rest of the roll was shot in a dark concert later) with DD-X.

--Dave

Momma Ash by Argenticien, on Flickr

Most knackered gate ever by Argenticien, on Flickr

Into the Unknown by Argenticien, on Flickr

Unknown swag by Argenticien, on Flickr

Unsafe by Argenticien, on Flickr

Faraway headlamp by Argenticien, on Flickr

Nice photo's Dave. Where in Charlotte do you get your chemicals? When in Raleigh I buy them at Peace Camera but I work Charlotte much more now-a-days. I bought a lot of old film over at that camera store on Independence but they tore it down after they filed bankrupcy & closed.

Thanks Greg. A quick sad history, and I won't get the numbers exactly right: Camera World on Commonwealth Ave closed about 4 (5?) years ago; Charlotte Camera on Park Rd (near where it joins Kenilworth/Scott) very briefly moved to way out near Providence and 485 just before it up & died about 7 (8?) years ago. I don't know who was on Independence, but I've only lived here 10 yrs. Biggs Camera on Kings is now the last one standing. They are good, and maybe their default local monopoly will help. They have limited chemistry -- Ilfosol 3, TMax I think, and HC-110. Probably D-76 too, but I don't use powder as I can't finish 5 litres (or whatever it is) before it perishes. I try to bring Biggs all my custom where possible (don't want to end up with zero pro shops) but I've sort of settled on Rodinal and DD-X so am mail-ordering from Freestyle. :( I do get fixer and ancillary chemistry at Biggs. I buy almost all film there as well, except they lack 25/50 speed B&W (Pan F or obscure European slow stuff -- Rollei etc.) and Velvia. They do a brisk business in digital camera sales and scan/print so hopefully will survive.

--Dave

Back