Classic comparison - Summicron DR vs Nokton 1.5

goamules

Well-known
Local time
8:52 PM
Let's compare the 1950s Summicron Dual Range to the Nokton 1.5. I haven't done this in a while, but got an Amedeo adapter for my vintage Nokton 50/1.5 in Prominent mount to M the other day. I've heard, variously, that either the Summicron DR or the Nokton was "the best 50mm fast lens in the 1950s." Best is a subjective word, but usually people are saying "best resolution."

I'll start out with the easiest aperture for a lens to do well, F8. See if you can tell which is which. Click for larger for the first two.

32675285717_3a5bafb871_c.jpg

40651358703_3bf59fdbc9_c.jpg

You are correct! All the above sets of 2, the Nokton is first. What I'm seeing, but it's hard to have time to show here, is that the Nokton is sharper in the center at F4 - F11, than the vaunted Summicron. At F8, it even appears sharper at the edges, and it has more contrast at all stops. It also has warmer color rendition, typical of a Sonnar derivative. I'll show those things when I have time to create the crops.

Interesting! When I looked several hours ago, #2 seemed to have more contrast. When I looked just now, #1 definitely has more contrast.

Classic RFF. Even after a few months of absence there's still the same lens comparisons that people were talking about for years.

I think #1 is the Summicron and #2 is the Nokton. Contrast and Color give it away.

I went from a rigid summicron to my Nokton and while I don't have one of the best summicrons ever made and the leica name on my lens I'm still very happy with the performance from the Nokton.

Yes, talk is cheap. Did anyone SHOW side by side comparisons? What is classic RFF to me is someone showing one nice photo taken with some lens, and saying "the XYZ lens works great, better than any ABC!" No comparison, just an isolated photo - my premise is you can get a great photo with ANY lens. But on metrics....

I'm more of an analytical person. When everyone talks about "Leica glow" I asked, "show me". And by that, I mean show me two identical shots with an A to B comparison. Which I've done here. I've done a few here over the years. I guess I could compare a Summicron to another lens, maybe something off an Argus C3, but it's difficult and the results will be as anticipated. I'd heard these two were "the best" 50mm fast lenses of the 1950s. I agree.

The Nokton has slightly better contrast, slightly warmer color tones, and is as sharp as a Summicron. Confirmed (to me anyway), based on my experiment.

The Nokton by design is mostly comparable to the Summilux ASPH.

I believe the lens in question here is not the Modern Cosina-Voigtlander 50mm/1.5 Nokton, which does indeed contain an ASPH element, but the original 1950ies (for the Prominent) 5cm/1.5 Nokton lens, which has none.

Yes, talk is cheap. Did anyone SHOW side by side comparisons? What is classic RFF to me is someone showing one nice photo taken with some lens, and saying "the XYZ lens works great, better than any ABC!" No comparison, just an isolated photo - my premise is you can get a great photo with ANY lens. But on metrics....

I'm more of an analytical person. When everyone talks about "Leica glow" I asked, "show me". And by that, I mean show me two identical shots with an A to B comparison. Which I've done here. I've done a few here over the years. I guess I could compare a Summicron to another lens, maybe something off an Argus C3, but it's difficult and the results will be as anticipated. I'd heard these two were "the best" 50mm fast lenses of the 1950s. I agree.

The Nokton has slightly better contrast, slightly warmer color tones, and is as sharp as a Summicron. Confirmed (to me anyway), based on my experiment.

thanks for putting efforts making these comparision?
how about the distoration? is the nokton as good as the summircon?

thanks for putting efforts making these comparision?
how about the distoration? is the nokton as good as the summircon?

Good question. If you shoot it at F2 they are pretty similar where you are focused. At the edges, at F1.5 and F2 the Nokton gets a little bit of sperical aberration or field curvature, or both. The out of focus areas (bokeh) are a little more noticeable with the Nokton, from F1.5 to about F4. If you try, you can get a pretty wild out of focus area with it:

47618400761_0a82ff4333_c.jpg

40672999283_8a628dc030_c.jpg

Here are both again with some backgrounds. But shot at only F4. Same order as the first couple of posts (I did reverse the order on the bookshelf closeups).

40672977373_8b30bfca75_b.jpg

33762100268_3da1036406_b.jpg

i have feeling that leica have more distortion... i usually see it in most of their lenses.. thats why i like zeiss better-i always felt they are aiming for less distortion...
i mean this is not zeiss but still i find leica least attractive from those top three rf makers..

Back