Contax 35mm lens to Leica M conversion

horosu

Well-known
Local time
9:22 AM
Hello,

I'd like to use a Biogon/Biometar/Planar 35mm lens in Contax mount on a Leica M camera.

Does anyone know which of those can be converted? I suspect the Biometar, with its shorter rear length could be the best candidate.

Thank you!

Are you talking about an adapter, or a permanent conversion? Skyllaney in UK can probably do permanent conversions on all of those. I have used an Amedeo adapter with the Biometar on an M2 in the past. Sold the M2, kept the lens

Last edited:
I'm talking about an adapter/conversion.

Are you sure about the Planar working with an Amedeo adapter? In this list it's quoted as not working (the Biometar seem to work, though)
Are you talking about an adapter, or a permanent conversion? Skyllaney in UK can probably do permanent conversions on all of those. I have used an Amedeo adapter with the Biometar and Planar on an M2 in the past. Sold the M2, kept the lens
Amedeo Compatibility List

Are you talking about an adapter, or a permanent conversion? Skyllaney in UK can probably do permanent conversions on all of those. I have used an Amedeo adapter with the Biometar on an M2 in the past. Sold the M2, kept the lens
I've also contacted Skyllaney. He won't work on any individual conversions for the time being...

I'm talking about an adapter/conversion.

Are you sure about the Planar working with an Amedeo adapter? In this list it's quoted as not working (the Biometar seem to work, though)

Amedeo Compatibility List
I amended my post after you quoted it the first time. The Biometar works, Planar does not. I tried it with several adapters, including the Amedeo.

Last edited:
Skyllaney is very busy with other issues for the time being. They will return to lens adaptation one day.

I'd hold out and wait till Skyllaney has the time again to do individual conversions.

In the meantime you can shoot one scale-focus on an MDa or similar with a basic adapter. Not the same but still very fun.

It seems that Amedeo has modified his Contax-LTM adapter so that it's able to mount the Contax 21/4.5 Biogon. Could anyone could confirm this? The 35/2.8 Biogon have shorter rear elements than the 21/4.5, if I remember correctly, so it should work, in theory.

Amedeo LTM adapter

It seems that Amedeo has modified his Contax-LTM adapter so that it's able to mount the Contax 21/4.5 Biogon. Could anyone could confirm this? The 35/2.8 Biogon have shorter rear elements than the 21/4.5, if I remember correctly, so it should work, in theory.

Amedeo LTM adapter
The issue is more the diameter of the rear element, which will interfere with the rangefinder cam. You can use the 21mm Biogon if you remove the rear collar.

FWIW, I have had no success in mounting the postwar Biogon 35/2.8 (in Contax rangefinder mount) on any Leica film camera, either LTM or M-mount. I’ve tried using an Amedeo adapter and it seems that the rear element of the Biogon is slightly too wide to fit in the adapter. But I’m not sure this is the version of the Biogon you’re referring to. There is an adapter that will allow this version of the Biogon to be mounted on an L-mount Leica camera (e.g. the Leica CL digital).

FWIW, I have had no success in mounting the postwar Biogon 35/2.8 (in Contax rangefinder mount) on any Leica film camera, either LTM or M-mount. I’ve tried using an Amedeo adapter and it seems that the rear element of the Biogon is slightly too wide to fit in the adapter. But I’m not sure this is the version of the Biogon you’re referring to. There is an adapter that will allow this version of the Biogon to be mounted on an L-mount Leica camera (e.g. the Leica CL digital).
I have a couple of Amedeo adapters, one for Contax to M-Mount and another Contax to Sony E-mount. All of the Contax lenses will fit the E-mount adapter; most Contax lenses will fit the M-Mount, but not the Planar, post WW-2 Biogon, or pre-WW2 Biogon. It seems to me that I cannot push the adapter deep enough into the lens to actually twist it in place and lock it up. Same problem with both of my original Orion Contax to LTM adapters. Dont know of the fixture for the rear element on these lenses is a hair too wide, or not quite deep enough.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, very informative
But I’m not sure this is the version of the Biogon you’re referring to.
Yes, this is the version I was alluding to. However, if I understand correctly, the 21/4.5 Biogon works with the latest Contax to LTM adapter?

Back