Contax T, anyone?

So, good news and bad news. Shutter is working again, but now the rf is totally out of whack. I managed to get vertical alignment adjusted, however I have no idea how to adjust infinity focus. Does anoyone here have any knowledge about that? Preferrably with pictures illustrating how it's done? Or access to a Contax T repair manual? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't intend on sending it away again.

One advantage of the Rollei 35 cameras is that the battery powers only the meter. Plus, the "S" model has a nice Sonnar, while the "T" has a Tessar.

And there are some that have a Xenar while the less-sturdy B and C models have a Triotar.

I have a Contax TVS, which was nice until it stopped working inexplicably.

To tell the truth, electronic cameras sort of irk me.

I am having problems with my shutter, it does not trip now and agin (~6 shots on a roll). However, if I only wind on just befotre I want to take a photo - it's fine (when the camera is closed the film is not wound on).
efix, mine looks like yours with the flash, except I dropped it ~9 months ago (the shutter problem started before that). It handed on tarmac (ouch), but apart from the dent by the rewind lever, works OK.

I am having problems with my shutter, it does not trip now and agin (~6 shots on a roll). However, if I only wind on just befotre I want to take a photo - it's fine (when the camera is closed the film is not wound on).

Mine behaved similarly last year, before I sent it away for the first time. As I mentioned earlier, they had to replace a relay that controls the shutter.

Happy happy joy joy :D

Thanks to the repair manual I bought online (for a considerable sum) I figured out how to align the rangefinder patch both vertically and horizontally, and now it's PERFECT again. I AM SO HAPPY! Now I'm praying that the shutter won't die on me again ...

P.S.: For horizontal rf alignment, you need to access a teeny tiny screw hidden inside the top left corner of the film chamber (from the rear of the camera), behind the sealing cloth. It was extremely fiddly and took me a while to figure it out and get it properly adjusted.

Okay, that's it. I'm done with the T. The shutter is broken AGAIN, after being fixed THREE times, and the rangefinder out-of-whacked itself after being spot-on last night. I'm not pumping any more money into this. Off it goes to eBay, maybe it'll make someone else happier. I loved the results, but I only really got to use it for half a year until it all went downhill. The images don't make up for the hassle, sadly.

Sorry to hear.

Well it's always been quite an overrated camera. The inwards are plastic and the CPU controlling the shutter always gets highly unreliable over time.

Of course, there is that lens...

But you can have the very same lens on a Rollei 35S, whose mechanics will last a lifetime if properly used.

My contax T also had a problem with the shutter not firing occasionally. I managed to fix it myself. Do you hear a loud click when you advance the film? Also when you press down on the screw next to the shutter button when advancing the film does the shutter then fire normally?

That was the case with mine.

One of the 'feet' holding the whole assembly down under the top case was loose.

My contax T also had a problem with the shutter not firing occasionally. I managed to dix it myself. Do you hear a loud click when you advance the film? Also when you press down on the screw next to the shutter button when advancing the film does the shutter then fire normally?

That was the case with mine.

One of the 'feet' holding the whole assembly down under the top case was loose.

Not sure what exactly you're referring to.

I always hear a "click" when I press the shutter button, but the shutter won't always fire. It's been like that for a year now, and has been repaired THREE TIMES now, each time the shutter stopped working again. My patience is just all used up now. Maybe a someone savvier than me can fix it themselves. I'm just fed up now and don't want to invest anymore time or energy into it.

As a perspective, I plan on finding a Rollei 40/2.8 Sonnar in M-mount to use on my Leica CL.

Fair enough, i understand.
But i mean a 'click' when you advance the film not when you fire the shutter.

Sorry to hear you woes. I had a Rollei 35se , lovely camera but... the meter has apoor range. At 400asa the lowest shutter speed the meter could give a reading for was 1/125. @ 100asa 1/30. That and the lens in and out operation, I found annoying. It was also bigger (a little to thick for my liking when in the pocket) and heavy than the T, and the lens cap rubbish. Great build and lovely controls.
Try the wind on with the T just before you that a picture, see if that works on you camera.

More bad news... The three screws that are holding the top cover are screwed into plastic brackets. 2 of 3 are wasted on my now so I have to tape it in place... Titanium and plastic?

This is unfortunately a common problem. It happened to my first Contax T when it took a knock. Still works. There must be a DIY fix for the screw problem such as filling the screw holes with something and re-tapping the holes. Haven't tried it myself. I have a second Contax T now and am treating it very carefully!

Fantastic pictures, Monz!

I'm now using my Pentax ME with 40/2.8 pancake as a replacement for the T. Not as small, not as stylish, and the Sonnar is by far the more desirable lens, but at least my ME keeps working ...

Back