Crazy about the Planar 50mm - pics thread

Planar Bokeh

Planar Bokeh

Shot an entire session with the Zeiss 50mm planar, and loved the look. No flash, just reflector fill.

Attachments

• L1001829-L.jpg
    L1001829-L.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
I kinda miss my ZM Planar...

Hey Andre,

your Planar has been busy traveling the world. I took it with me to İstanbul but recently swapped it for a v1 cron from Cyprus. It's having an interesting life, at this rate it might make it all the way back to Japan ;)

Edit:

Maybe I should add pictures by the Planar, though I did not warm up to it much, for fear of hijackng this thread.

20100722A_11_M2+PLNR by Martin N. Hinze, on Flickr

20100520A_06_M2+PLNR by Martin N. Hinze, on Flickr

20100502_25_M2+PLNR by Martin N. Hinze, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hey Andre,

your Planar has been busy traveling the world. I took it with me to İstanbul but recently swapped it for a v1 cron from Cyprus. It's having an interesting life, at this rate it might make it all the way back to Japan ;)

Edit:

Maybe I should add pictures by the Planar, though I did not warm up to it much, for fear of hijackng this thread.

20100722A_11_M2+PLNR by Martin N. Hinze, on Flickr

20100520A_06_M2+PLNR by Martin N. Hinze, on Flickr

20100502_25_M2+PLNR by Martin N. Hinze, on Flickr

Really nice shots!! I couldn't imagine what you could do with this lens if you warmed up to it.

Martin,

Thanks for the update! That's very cool :) Im glad it's having an interesting life.

Andre

Hey Andre,

Edit:

sorry to hear about that andre. i'm going the same thing with my mom, but so far she remembers all four of her children.by the way, since i have your attention, is the planar worth $700? i'd use it on my r2m in lieu of my cv 50/2.5 color skopar, which has a home on my iiif.

Paul: Thanks and my thoughts are with your Mom and your family. I know it's tough. It damn near tore my mother's family apart at times. My grandmother remembered everything perfectly from before she became afflicted (If I asked her how old I was she said 14!) but towards the end she seemed to forget everything and was in her old world. The amazing thing was that she never lost her sense of humor and personality. She always said both me and my father made her laugh the most and was always glad to lift her spirits.

Back on topic, the Planar, it's an amazing lens andis worth it if you're looking for technically perfect, clinically sharp, and high contrast lens. Also, it has that "Zeiss" 3D look. Personally, I think it would pair perfectly with an older more "character-y" lens. The one thing I would say is if you're thinking of buying used, check it out for the "wobble". BTW, my Planar had no wobble at all. I think nowadays they go for about $700 new, so if you're being offered one used at that price you may want to wait on a new one that has a warrantee and such.

Last edited:
I loved my ZM Planar - bought new in 2006 together with the ZM - so much that I decided to keep it as my main 50mm lens when switching to M9. Unfortunatelly it showed serious wobble recently and was replaced by Zeiss at a reasonable charge. Here are some pics:

jg_m9_20100607_0299.jpg

jg_m9_20100609_0325.jpg

2127433237_75fa9881aa_z.jpg

Planar 50mm f2.0 @ f2. Leica MP and TriX.
Great Wall of China. We visited the one day it poured down. For all I know it is only 300 ft long! Visibility was nominal as was light levels.

Last edited:
3894282650_eb111ea5de_b.jpg

Close up with the Planar 50f2 - probably @ f4 or 5.6. Leica M2, TriX Rodinal 1:50/13 min.
When cars had style. Pierce Arrow spare wheel attachment.

I bought the Planar mainly because I couldn't afford a later Leica lenses. I am very pleased and I have no plans to buy anything else. Jim

Back