Current Rolleiflex CLA Cost?

... Krimar may be excellent on F models, but I wouldn't recommend him for a 2.8C in any form. And doing unauthorized work is not the right way to run a business. I hope others continue to have success with him, but I did not.
Agreed. I read elsewhere that he only likes to work on certain models. I emailed him to ask if I could send him mine (a 3.5 E3) and he never responded.

Agreed. I read elsewhere that he only likes to work on certain models. I emailed him to ask if I could send him mine (a 3.5 E3) and he never responded.

I have heard that he doesn't look at email regularly and that calling is the way to reach him. Since the E3 was made concurrently with the F series, I would expect him to do work on them.

I spoke to Krikor before sending my camera in. I asked very clearly if he would work on a C. He said sure, send it in.

When I received the 'repaired' camera, I called him to discuss it. When I told him how the focus was acting, he said that it was a C, an old camera, that he couldn't get parts, very old. I said that I had specifically said in my note with the camera that I understood this and wanted him to evaluate it. I asked him why he put a new mirror and spool knob onto a body that he claims is worn out, and why he told me that the camera was 'perfect' when he called to tell me that the work was done. At that point, he said that if I insisted I could send the camera back and he would look at it.

(He installed the new parts without authorization; I had requested a quote only on those items.)

Krikor should be more honest in what cameras he will work on and more ethical in how he proceeds to take people's money while holding their camera hostage. Again, I understand and believe that he has been a great service to a large number of people, but for me he was a failure.

Man, I've been fence-sitting on my 2.8F for a year and a half now. Film advance isn't working. I just feel like it's this big leap of faith to package it up and send it for repair.

I think it's about time I made a decision and got it working again. :eek:

Man, I've been fence-sitting on my 2.8F for a year and a half now. Film advance isn't working. I just feel like it's this big leap of faith to package it up and send it for repair.

I think it's about time I made a decision and got it working again. :eek:

Fleenor and Kuschnik have both done great work for me. I hear Paul Ebel has a good rep too - I have never used him. Your location might have an impact on who you send your camera to.

Fleenor and Kuschnik have both done great work for me. I hear Paul Ebel has a good rep too - I have never used him. Your location might have an impact on who you send your camera to.

In Ottawa. I have been alternating between Fleenor and Krikor.

The viewing mirror inside the camera shows some corrosion and I would love to have that replaced if possible. I know a few of the repair options don't have much in the way of parts.

Mirrors are available on line, the site escapes me.
I'm tried thinking, but nothing happened...
I have heard that Kindermann (Gerry?) in Toronto is good with Rollei. There was a guy in Vancouver. I emailed him, but he had retired from Rollei repair and sold his parts to Fleenor.
There's Mark Hansen in the US as well.
Several years ago I tried to have my Rollei serviced in Toronto. It was sent out to an "expert" - I don't know who. They gouged the lens retaining ring, sent it back and said the camera was un-servicable. I sent it to Jurgen Kuschnik (when he lived in California) who did a great job. He was perplexed when I told him that I was told the camera "wouldn't come apart". The screws came out like they were put in yesterday and not 1937. The whole experience made me a little gun shy about repair shops that don't have a great rep with specific types of cameras. Just my experience.

Here's the mirror place - http://www.uscamera.com/rflextlr001.htm

I added a Maxwell screen to my 3.5F. What a difference!

Last edited:
Sent my 3.5E1 to Krikor a few weeks ago. Very communicative, seemed to insist on discussing and arranging the repairs over the phone as opposed to email. He replaced the shutter spring for about $150..? Super fast repair, ended up sending my Rolleiflex back to me within two days of him receiving it.

The service seems good (haven't developed any film yet, but the shutter DOES fire when I want it to and the speeds sound about right), my only gripe being that he insisted on shipping it back to me by UPS which ended up costing me an extra $60 in brokerage fees.

I would have considered sending it to Kinderman but by the time he replied to my email (over a week after I sent him a query), my Rolleiflex was on its way to Krikor.

Last edited:
I have heard that he doesn't look at email regularly and that calling is the way to reach him.
Maybe that's it then. I run a (very) small consulting business and go out of my way to communicate with clients whatever which way they want and whenever they want. I look for that kind of customer experience with people who provide services to me.

Essex Camera serviced my 3.5 E3 and did a wonderful job. Since you're in Canada, send them an email asking if they could return the package via USPS and also fill out a customs declaration that it's a repair. I've sent more than one camera to them and they do excellent work (and they seem to have Rolleiflex spare parts).

I've had two Rolleis CLAd by Werner Bruer of Classic Fototechnik in Germany. Mr.Bruer is a former Rollei factory technician. It took him 1-2 days after receiving the camera to do the job and send me an invoice. My 2.8C was recovered in Griptac, viewfinder lens cleaned, rewind lever, strap ears and locking mechanism completely replaced, shutter overhauled and taking lens cleaned as well as overall cosmetics was much improved. All for 120 euros! The other Rollei got a new film door locking pin for 25 euro. Great job and quick communication. I don't know how good he is with English though.

Hi sharpey, I haven't wrote to Jimmy simply cos my new Rolleicord turned out to work just fine. As for Singapore Rollei tech, many recommend Mr. Philip Tay, who was factory trained. Maybe he's Jimmy's brother?

An update for the post above. I sent an email to Mr. Philip Tay, and a few days after, he called me! What a pleasant surprise. He quoted SGD 280 to do a complete overhaul for a Rollei TLR, and he said it'll take around 2 weeks to do the job. Then we talked a little more about my camera's condition, and after describing its condition and how the pictures turn out, he concluded, if you feel comfortable with it, just use it, no need for a repair, unless it affects usability or resulting images.

He has a solid reputation around Singapore and SE Asian countries, if you want to contact him, the address is: [email protected]

I vote for Jurgen Kuschnik in Germany also. Rollei trained professional, excellent service and turnaround time. From what I heard and experienced myself -he is one of, or may be even the best out there.

I vote for Jurgen Kuschnik in Germany also. Rollei trained professional, excellent service and turnaround time. From what I heard and experienced myself -he is one of, or may be even the best out there.

Bad news is that Mr. Juergen stop repairing cameras. I was disappointed to read his mail some weeks ago. :-(

Just got a 3.5F back from Krimar - his work really is super. And, I got my Rollei back in 6 days. My total repair bill was $300, which included a total CLA, lens adjustment, meter adjustment with parts and removal of a flash bracket (which was fixed to the camera body). He even re-skinned the side of the camera where the bracket was attached. Super smooth and clean. I almost didn't recognize it when I pulled it out of the box. He even cleans the frame number counter! My Rollei reeked of cigarette smoke and now you can barely tell.

Given the turn-around time and the quality of the work I'm very, very happy.

Now, I'll be sending my other 3.5F to him.

Back