New York December NYC Meet-Up

Well I guess my Brooklyn tough guy attitude worked well in my dealings with this agency and their client.

I got an e-mail yesterday that the check is in the mail. Generally "Maggie" says it sometimes takes 90 days to get paid. I was expecting to get paid next year. Oh-well. Would of been better next year because of tax purposes. "Rich people say, "No one ever got rich paying taxes," but Joe says, "Paying taxes is a good thing, because you are making money." The Bankster in me says, "Be greedy. I want both."

This Saturday I'll be going to the Harvard Club for some big private event. Sara from the workshop deeply impressed me with her work. She is a print maker who does alternative process. Wonderful tonality and incredible deep blacks. The experience of holding in my hands these subtle prints was ambrosia. Moving them around in my hands to see how the images capture the light was a beautiful divine experience.

Sara inquired about "Maggie's" blog. I'm really greatful that this color work segragates itself enough as to not inflict conflict against my fine art work. So Sara and I talked about the VIP treatment because Maggie is a celeb. I expressed how uncomfortable it makes me feel, especially all the privelage and entitlement that accompanies being special. Basically I don't like it at all, and we talked how that was a trap.

So yesterday I thought of Colin Kaepernick and what he represents. I feel strongly about what he stands for, so I figure as a gesture of support that I would try to secure one of his jerseys and wear it proudly. I do a search and end up in the official NFL store and was surprised to find that they still are selling his jerseys even though he is officially no longer in the NFL after being black-balled.

So I find they still have kid's sizes, but the extra larges are all sold out. The toddler sizes definitely won't fit, but I do further inquiry to how big is a "junior" size large and discover that a junior size large has a cheast size of 39.5 inches and if I try to inflate my chest to imitate a gorilla I am a wopping 38 inch chest. These jerseys were discounted as close out and I bought a red number "7."

So I embrace numerology again. I intend to use 7 as the number of prints in an edition for my smaller prints: 6 prints and an artist proof that I will keep.

I have a strong affiliation with the number 13. For many this is looked upon as an unlucky number. In numerology it is a number of change and because many people seek stability they embrace security and resist change. The number 13 is really not an unlucky number at all, and in fact my football jersey from high school was the number 13. You have to understand that I have had such a different life that is loaded with surprises and changes.

So I decided that in my large prints I will acknowledge the numbers 7 and 13 and will use the number 6 for the number of prints for my large prints where 4 will be sold and the two remaining will be Artist Proofs to maintain in my possession. As I always intended for these larger prints to be for exhibition it makes sense to have one Artist Proof to lend out for exhibition and to always have a print laying around for that sole purpose.

Anyways this Gallery Workshop really gave me the knowledge required to be very thoughtful. It seems that there can be no blanket way to navigate, and each artist and their work is by case-by-case. If you want to establish yourself as a fine artist who is a photographer I kinda say you need to take this workshop and figure out what is good for you and your work.

I'm still obsessing... Also I know how some of you make fun of my superstitions, but they work for me. LOL. My play on the Asian math stereotype.

Cal

See everyone this Sunday at Lorelie's.

In today's episode of "This Old Photographer" Cal gets an E-mail from Jon Cone, the master printer who developed Piezography.

"So Cal, what is the deal?"

"Well Norm, I kinda missed the really big blowout sale at Piezography held around Thanksgiving every year, and I was kinda bummed. Cash flow and bad timing, but I kinda got a second chance today, and I had the opportunity at my boring day-job to use my journalism skills to do my obsessive data mining to figure out how to be clever."

"So Cal, what did you discover?"

"I learned Norm that because I was greedy and stockpiled Piezography Pro Inks when I was selected to be an early adopter that I was mighty-mighty clever because the same Photo Black used for Piezography Pro printing is also used for converting my K-7 printing with 7 shades of black into a K-7 HD system."

"What are the advantages of this HD upgrade?"

"Well Norm, first there is the blacker-black, the darkest on the planet, and this black is also glossier. I expect this added gloss will add acutance to the blacks so they stand out more. I also expect even more dynamic range than my present 20x30 K-7 images that are printed on 24x36 inch paper that I annoy people with. I especially think all these advantages will get or be more pronounced in my annoying bigger prints, and this excites me."

"Any technical difficulties or challenges."

"As you know I'm a mighty smart guy, but I'm dumb around computers, even though at my day-job my job title is Cyclotron Engineer and basically I operate, run and maintain a partical beam acelerator and manage a nuclear physics lab. The new K-7 HD upgrade requires a software upgrade that I have to license to have access to the profiles required to adopt the upgrade to K-7 HD."

"Any new possibilities?"

"Well because the black is so black and the contrast gets enhanced there are reports that it elevates matte printing to approach that of glossy printing. To me that is a big deal. Imagine matte prints that don't look flat and compressed as far as contrast, and matte prints without the sheen of glossy prints with the same tonal range of glossy prints."

"Wow. That would be a very striking big deal."

"It also opens up possibilities with using a larger base of papers. Currently I only print glossy and only on Baryta coated papers, so a whole new universe of paper usage opens up."

"And because of your obsessive compulsive behavior that you can't control of course you will kinda go crazy exploring fine art matte papers."

"So also there is kind of a matte black HD that takes things even further. The Piezography Pro Photo Black some people use as their matte black. This means I can be mighty clever and switch between matte and glossy without having to change inks by just switching paper profiles, but if I want to destroy the world and use a black that is the blackest black that is kinda like a black hole I can take things to the next step and print matte images that enjoy the full tonal range of glossy prints on Baryta paper that I presently enjoy."

"Well Cal, now you are scaring me. Your non-HD K-7 prints people say are stunning. Hard to imagine blacker blacks and enhanced dynamic range? The experience of holding or seeing one of your prints already has a HDR like effect."

"Norm, at this point I'm really inspired. As an early adopter of Piezography Pro, where I was kind of a Beta tester of a new printing system before it was available to the general public, my skill level advanced. I know from exprience that K-7 even though it requires two-pass printing lays down more ink. I suspect seeing even more depth in my large prints using K-7 HD.

"In our next episode of "This Old Photographer" I suspect more crazy advances, and unintended consequencs as Cal runs with the ball. See you next month at "This Old Photographer."

Cal

Christian's home brew cameras were really a clever and eloquent statement of truely obsessive behavior. Got to love an artist who kinda goes crazy and builds a 6x12 camera that looks really German and pro for shooting ultrawide.

Definitely not a spackle job. A mighty clever usage of some off the shelf parts combined with one-off building utilizing laser cut aluminum and Cad-Cam skills that are mighty impressive.

Makes me want to do something crazy. LOL.

Cal

I’m quite happy with how it came out myself. This being version 2, it is a bit more sophisticated than the original. It really is a 4x5, but I’ll be using it with a 6x12 back.
I’m also looking forward to finishing the ‘counterfeit Technar’ pocket 4x5. This will get a 47mm super angulon and a 6x9 back, and a leitz 21mm finder.
Cal, if you want parts lists, I can provide them.

Christian,

My next project that I want to complete is my workbook of prints made of 12x18 prints on 17x22 celulose (Canson Baryta Photographique). This will be the mock-up for my "Art-Book" made of prints except it will be more refined and be printed on 100% cotton rag using I think Jon Cone Type 5 with is also a Baryta coated paper that has a satin like gloss. Know I have on hand 3 rolls of 17"x50' JC Type 5 warehoused in my studio.

I also will be upgrading my K-7 (Piezography 7 shades of black) splitone to "enhanced K-7 HD which uses the blacker-black from my Piezography Pro inkset.

I think I'm settling on the JC Type 5 as my fine art paper because it is the most optimized for Piezography, and this sets up another round of printing "Viewing Prints." The Canson papers I liked for economy and the savings, but at this point I'll be reprinting about 40-50 images that means some reprocessing.

I need to set up an IMAC so that I have two separate operating systems so I can run two printers as stand alone systems that are independent. My 3880 will be for Piezography Pro, and the 7800 for K-7 HD and digital negatives.

The ongoing process also involves making a web-site to have an online presence.

For now I have enough cameras. I surely could use a 4x5/6-12 that uses an ultrawide in the future. Perhaps get those few parts laser cut in advance. I have already a full plate, but I'm greedy. LOL.

Cal

The hardest thing is finding the Linhof parts. The front standard I have is the only one I’ve seen for sale in years. The parts for the ‘Technar’ are fairly readily available though, with a little searching to get a good price. Adding a 6x12 back to the 4x5 you have to use with the 90mm is pretty easy. That would be a nice combo. The horseman backs are nice, but not so cheap.

The hardest thing is finding the Linhof parts. The front standard I have is the only one I’ve seen for sale in years. The parts for the ‘Technar’ are fairly readily available though, with a little searching to get a good price. Adding a 6x12 back to the 4x5 you have to use with the 90mm is pretty easy. That would be a nice combo. The horseman backs are nice, but not so cheap.

Christian,

You have to name your version 2. Gotta add some branding. LOL.

What I like about the camera is that it is basic, compact, and light for a large format/panoramic camera. The 6-12 format I lust. Looks count too, so call me vain. I think because of the Linhof parts it looks kinda German. What is the FOV using the Super Augulon 58 XL?

Interesting to note is that I'm currently doing research investigating gallery prints for sale. Mucho color, not much B&W, and not much silver wet prints. Also my work I can't see being exhibited in these galleries. My work stands out as being different and does not fit in.

Cal

Thank you all.

Getting a shot in Vogue Italia is also a great honor, but no photo credits. Only you guys know who the photographer is.

Same for this Cosmo video. Expect your work to be stolen.

Meanwhile in the gallery side of things one needs to figure out how to market oneself and commodify prints.

Yesterday I got the check. I was expecting up to 90 days wait, but I think my Brooklyn tough guy performance made them cough up the dough. Perhaps they had to spend the money before year's end.

Pretty much paying down camera bills on credit cards with the cash flow. I hope my accountant/CPA can offset this income so I don't loose 30% to the Fed's and the state. Rich people say, "No one got rich paying taxes."

I learned some smut from my friend Mike, the pro fashion photographer, that for the next 6 weeks is a dry spell for work in the fashion world.

Cal

Thank you all.

Getting a shot in Vogue Italia is also a great honor, but no photo credits. Only you guys know who the photographer is.

Same for this Cosmo video. Expect your work to be stolen.

That sucks... sorry Cal. Tell Maggie to pay you! ;)

That sucks... sorry Cal. Tell Maggie to pay you! ;)

John,

"Maggie" throws me money for gear, and is very generous with gifting me things.

Most of all she puts up with me. LOL. I'm not the easiest person to live with, and you kinda know I get kinda crazed in everything I do.

Giving photo credits costs nothing, but then again NBC News, the BBC and an online magazine screw up the credits all the time. How hard is it to spell a three letter last name? How bad is it when a national broadcast gives me credit for another photographer's shot, and some other photographer gets credit for my shot. How about the bait and switch: being told we'll give you photo credits to get the shots, then stiffing you.

Pretty much everything bad about protecting my rights has happened to me.

Anyways a lot of cool things too. LOL. The world no longer makes sense, and the chaos kinda makes it a great time to be a photographer. I have learned a lot so I'm just sharing all this. There is a culture of blatant stealing and rude disrespect. At this point I'm use to it.

Glad that I can be tough when I have to.

Cal

"Maggie" got 10K more followers in a week. Almost 275K followers this morning. A good part of this bump was the video interview at Cosmopolitan's online platform.

Also Maggie got a paying gig. Part is clothes and there is a payment. Maggie will be paying me for the shots. This is kinda new. KAA-Ching.

Cal

Back