Do you shoot B+W or Colour?

Do you shoot B+W or Colour?

• Total voters
Making up for lost time

Making up for lost time

I began my dark room experience whilst I was in the 4th grade. My father always had a dark room in all the homes that he owned until his death. My color experience was therefore great limited to reversal film. It was just too impractical to practice color photography.

I bought my first SCSI film scanner in 1995, and after 30 some years I could practice color photography at home. I've never looked back. Black and white is a noble tradition, as well as smelly chemicals in the dark on very nice spring days when a young man's fancy turns towards baseball.

I still shoot film 90% of the time. Analog is analog and digtial is digital. Digital at this point in its development is far too limiting in its color palette image capture options compared with film. Digital editing, and what used to go for darkroom work, now far outstrips film, in my experience.

I've waited half a life time to work in color, and I'll stay with that, thank you.

I have been shooting B&W exclusively for the last 15 years (HP5+ mainly). My colour photos were so poor that my friends used to say that I didn't have colour vision! This year I started to shoot some colour film again, and really started enjoying it (of course not with stellar results).

I thought I was mostly going to shoot B&W and save color for special projects etc. Then someone gifted me 600 feet of Portra 160NC.

Guess I'll be shooting a little more color than I expected!

With film I shoot B&W almost exclusively now, developed at home. For color I shoot all digital for the most part, occasionally converting the output to B&W.

About 50-50. But I can't really say for sure, I like both colour and BW. But it depends on my pictures which are better for colour and which are better for BW.

All of the above. I shoot color, ?B&W and digital. Whatever seems best at the time. In practice it means I carry a Leica R outfit, an M outfit and a Sony XBR. Gets a bit heavy but works for me.
Phil Brown

All my film is developed in BW chemistry. Color I get from digital.

+1

My film is ONLY B&W and the only B&W I do with Digital is with my Canon FL 50mm f/1.4 Early 5 Group/6 element Planar design, based on the 50mm f/1.4 Canon RF lens. But it render a muted color rendering similar to the Leitz 5cm f/1.5 Summarit of the 1950's, which is most likely a Planar design also.

I shoot both with film. Usually I use a 35mm for color and a 28mm for black and white. Color looks odd to my eyes when lenses are wider than 35mm. Black and white looks great no matter the focal length.

Thought this could be interesting. Just let me know if this has been done before.
If you shoot digital but convert to black and white most of the time, choose B+W.
Which do you use over about, 70% of the time?

I work in both color and monochrome. When I'm shooting film, I shoot mostly B&W film, but that's a small percentage of my picture taking.

I shoot BW 90% of the time, usually digital for colour but sometimes load colour film if I want to use my Bessa (don't have a digital RF).

Back