Does the Summaron 35/2.8 get enough love?

We may be going down a rabbit hole here, but I'm not sure how changing the magnification of the viewfinder by removing the goggles will change the focus. All the goggles do is make the 50mm framelines show the field of view of a 35mm lens. Taking them off isn't going to make things that appear in focus in the RF patch be out of focus, and vice versa.

I do agree that the goggles reduce contrast in viewfinder, which makes focusing somewhat harder -- too bad the optics of the goggles weren't coated.

We may be going down a rabbit hole here, but I'm not sure how changing the magnification of the viewfinder by removing the goggles will change the focus. All the goggles do is make the 50mm framelines show the field of view of a 35mm lens. Taking them off isn't going to make things that appear in focus in the RF patch be out of focus, and vice versa.

I do agree that the goggles reduce contrast in viewfinder, which makes focusing somewhat harder -- too bad the optics of the goggles weren't coated.

The question of whether removing the goggles changes the focus of the lens has been settled dozens of times: It does! This has nothing to do with magnification but rather with a difference in cam pitch (if that's the right term) once the goggles are off. In other words, it's a mechanical issue with rangefinders, not an optical. problem. You can, however, use a de-goggled Summaron on cameras that have an EVF.. Mine is virtually glued to a Sony a7 and I am very happy with the combo.

Soo, anyone have a list of such lenses we do not talk about?

Add the 135 Tele Elmar, the 50mm Elmar-M (last version) and the 65mm Elmar for Visoflex to the list of unmentionables.

Whatever you do, don't have the same conversation about R lenses, allow them to remain in dull, boring obscurity for as long as possible. You don't want any of them.

:D If canon FD lenses were not so damn cheap, I'd have a kit of R lenses for my A7 right now. Also really eyeballing the Zeiss 35-70/3.5 for contax... come to think of it I might put the summaron up for sale. Haven't felt the pang of seller's remorse in a while.

BTW - affirmative. Removing the goggles does significantly impact Summaron focusing.

The Summaron 35/2.8 - it's absolutely rubbish.

Waiting for the Choo Choo Train
Leica M3, Leitz Summaron 35/2.8, Edu Ultra 100
8257186938_36bf66d8b3_b.jpg

Leica M3, Leitz Summaron 35/2.8, f5.6, B+W Green Yellow Filter, Edu Ultra 100
6504252917_ca7f8f7bb3_b.jpg

13145420063_6c28f7571f_b.jpg

Near the end of the day.
Kodak Portra 400

Kodak Portra 400

Hoping to shoot some black & white film soon as I get my camera back from CLA.

I've posted this before but it does show the nice detail of this lens. This is a hand held shot I think at f4 or maybe f5.6.

The top corners are actually slightly sharper in the original image because I did a bit of perspective correction to compensate for shooting up, and that seemed to smear things just a tad.

Best to check out the original size on Flickr if you wanna get a feel for this len's resolution.

SummaronCottageL1001576 by brusbybrusby, on Flickr

And one more

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dpVFVZ]Magazine St - Leica M9, Summaron 35mm f2.8 by brusbybrusby, on Flickr[/URL]

I got a nice goggled Summaron f/2.8 specifically for the M2 so that I could finally see the whole field of view plus some around the outside. Very nice, but it does slightly darken the viewfinder and reduces the size of the focusing patch.

Shown below on the M240, the corners go distinctly fuzzy like in Erik's window shot above, even at f/4 or f/5.6
U77I1396934905.SEQ.0.jpg

U77I1397428809.SEQ.0.jpg

That fuzzy grass (Doug) and wall material (Erik) in the corners in the pictures above show what a bad lens this is. We all know that the most pictorial interest lies in the extreme corners.
Bad lens, Bad lens
Keep it cheap(er)!

The Summicron ASPH is truly very sharp into the corners.

Right, Robert... and you can't take off those ugly goggles without ruining the focusing... Who'd pay much for such a piece? ;)

Back