Does the Summaron 35/2.8 get enough love?

Leica M3, Summaron 35mm f/2.8 goggles, Tri X.

Erik.

13700406613_ae5f6c02a4_c.jpg

We may be going down a rabbit hole here, but I'm not sure how changing the magnification of the viewfinder by removing the goggles will change the focus. All the goggles do is make the 50mm framelines show the field of view of a 35mm lens. Taking them off isn't going to make things that appear in focus in the RF patch be out of focus, and vice versa.

I do agree that the goggles reduce contrast in viewfinder, which makes focusing somewhat harder -- too bad the optics of the goggles weren't coated.
They change the magnification of the RF as well, I think. There's a lens over the RF window anyway, and looking through it (without the camera) there sure seems to be.

Would anyone who has both care to compare the Summaron f2.8/35 to the Nikkor f2.5/35 please.
I've owned the latter and may soon again.

They change the magnification of the RF as well, I think. There's a lens over the RF window anyway, and looking through it (without the camera) there sure seems to be.

Yeah I tested without the goggles; removing them changes the rangefinder patch focus alignment, voiding the Summaron's (mechanical) calibration to the RF+goggle combo.

I believe either an equivalent lens over the RF window, or modification to the lens is required to achieve accurate focusing without the Summaron's goggles.
Edit: actually I bet even equivalent lens over the RF patch is a lost cause because it will have the unwanted effect of reducing the size of the rangefinding image...

Does anyone have samples of Summaron bokeh? Thanks.
Hi - Here's a recent one from my gallery... about f/5.6 but does show some smooth bokeh.
FWIW there's a group of 15 shots with this lens in my gallery, uploaded between 4/6/14 and 4/20/14

U77I1397093676.SEQ.1.jpg

M240, goggled f/2.8 Summaron

Another with the f/2.8 Summaron 35mm, brought in from my desktop so displayed smaller...
attachment.php

Attachments

• 140220-46_CFB1k.jpg
    140220-46_CFB1k.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1
Would anyone who has both care to compare the Summaron f2.8/35 to the Nikkor f2.5/35 please.
I've owned the latter and may soon again.
I have both and I had a thread up about just this subject. NOBODY replied. I shot some FP4+ with the Summaron today, hoping to love it more. I think the Nikkor is better at longer distances, but when I scan Tri-x shot with it, I really have to pump the mid tones. Here's some from the Nikkor. All but the last one, that is. Mine is adapted from S-moiunt.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/srca_house/sets/72157637204307165/
and these all but the first one.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/srca_house/sets/72157638095398234/

I've been interested in one of these for a while ... Just did a quick peek on Ebay and wow! Prices are way up. A year ago they were running in the $500-$900 range, now they're running in the $850-$1500 range. Amazing.

At those prices, I have to question whether it's more sensible to go with a new or used Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5.

Ah well. It's probably best just to sit tight with my Color-Skopar 35/2.5 and M-Rokkor 40/2 ..

G

Could anyone shed some light as to the point of the infinity lock on this lens?

Can anyone tell me if there's any way to remove/disable the infinity lock on the 2.8 Summaron. The mechanism starts to "kick in" around the 3m mark, which makes accurate focussing around that distance a pain. I really love this lens, but cannot get used to the infinity lock!

Can anyone tell me if there's any way to remove/disable the infinity lock on the 2.8 Summaron. The mechanism starts to "kick in" around the 3m mark, which makes accurate focussing around that distance a pain. I really love this lens, but cannot get used to the infinity lock!

I am sure it is possible, but it seems to me that the infinity lock is not working properly in your sample. Like you I dislike "auto-engaging" locks, but I had a Summaron 2.8 as my main lens for two years and not once did it "lock me out" :) Within normal streetphotography distances the lock never engaged.

Greetings, Ljós

Back