• No

Votes: 61 69.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michaelwj

----------------
Local time
10:03 AM
A simple question, with the release of the T, can and do Leica need to keep the X series alive? They seem a bit redundant now, especially the Vario once street prices stabilise. I think the X2 is probably safer due the cost of the 23 'cron, but why would you buy the X-Vario over the T with the kit zoom?

Thoughts?

Michael

The Vario was just plain silly in my opinion. I'm sure they were just hoping to sell a few because of the Leica name. It had no appeal! The X2 on the other had has one advantage - The price.

Hope not. My (modified) X2 is the best Leica I have used (ergonomics, reliability, IQ), and I think the X series had good potential for improvements and other models. The lack of firmware updates to fix some rather obvious weaknesses makes one wonder, however. Who knows. But since we have more choices than ever, it does not matter, really.

@Peter S: good photos in your LFI link, I like very much the "On the Road in Georgia (Caucasus)" one!
robert

As an x1 user I'm a little "confused" by the evolution of the x series. I would like a more flexible x1 but do not find the x-vario is worthwhile to upgrade. The T could be interesting (I already own both a 35 and a 50 cron) which added to the 23 could be an ideal set of lenses (35-50-75 equiv.). But the additional VF and the adapter bring the cost to an higher level. Beside the cost I would like to have one in my hands in order to evaluate how do I react to this interface...
robert

I'm attracted to the X2 as a snapshot/P+S style shooter. The X-Vario has had me scratching my head ever since the over-hyped unveiling. Still scratching my head.... If the X-Vario fades away, I won't notice. The X2, or similar styled/performance camera would remain in my sights.

If the T goes FF and M lens-capable, everything changes.

Yes and no.
Yes to the Vario.
No to the X1/2. These and the T are different cameras at different price points. There should be an X3!

The Vario was just plain silly in my opinion. I'm sure they were just hoping to sell a few because of the Leica name. It had no appeal! The X2 on the other had has one advantage - The price.

What Nico said.

My reaction to the XVario was along the lines of WTF?? It left me cold.

The T is (IMHO) the camera that the XV should have been to begin with.

The X2 should be in the lineup for a long time - it is a great entry level camera for enthusiasts and a viable back-up to the M240, M Monochrom - as well as the MP and M7 .

Things would get REALLY interesting if Leica would give us a monochrome version of the X2 or a monochrome version of the T camera...

In my opinion, the Fuji X100/100S pretty much killed the X series. Why pay Leica prices for a camera that does less then the X100/S for $700 or so less. And you get an optical finder.

In my opinion, the Fuji X100/100S pretty much killed the X series. Why pay Leica prices for a camera that does less then the X100/S for $700 or so less. And you get an optical finder.

I have used both ,
The fuji was a loaner , it was ok
I sold the x1 I had.
Now the x2 is the only one left .
You can not tell it is a Leica as all the red dot stuff is taped over .
Is it perfect ? / no
I really like this camera in spite of everyone pointing out its faults
the lens is great ,the files right out of the camera print nicely .

I did buy it used - so it was less than the 100s .

I dragged my silly, head-scratching X Vario around on a Sunday bike ride. Although I burned with shame each time I took it out, I got some keepers.

But really, the X Vario has one advantage over either the X2 or the T; its manual focusing is very easy. No need to throw a switch, you just turn the ring on the lens the same way the old Digilux 2 used to work. And the focusing ring is closer to the body, which for me makes it easier to use. The focus rings for the T lenses will be further away from the body; quite a bit further a way in the case of the 80-200 equivalent.

Fishing by Bsivad, on Flickr

I have no idea what Leica's plans are.

For me, if I contemplate buying a T, it is because it obviates my having both the X2 and the M9.

- The X2 because the T with 23/2 and Visoflex is pretty much the same darn thing.

- The M9 because, well, the role of the M9 in my kit (Leica lenses on a full frame sensor) has been pretty much eclipsed by the Sony A7 with Leica R lenses for me.

The simplicity and sparseness of the T design appeals to me. Its automation and control design distills the control needs to just the essentials, which is one of the things I enjoy with other cameras like the Polaroid SX-70. There are times when that's just what I'm looking for, one of the reasons I enjoy picking up the SX-70 as well.

G

Personally I think the X (Vario, X1, X2) series are by far better looking than the T series. I'm not fussed about faster lenses either, so I'd probably rather an X Vario. Whether it'll remain on the market, who knows?

I have no idea what Leica's plans are.

For me, if I contemplate buying a T, it is because it obviates my having both the X2 and the M9.

- The X2 because the T with 23/2 and Visoflex is pretty much the same darn thing.
G
This was my feeling as well... I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that the T would reduce the market for X models. And drop the prices of used X cameras. My reaction to that possibility was to consider a used X2 more favorably. I already have the EVF for it, Olympus branded. AF would be nice, and the lens is a good all-rounder.

On the other hand, the M8 can serve the purpose pretty well too, though a bit larger and manual focus.

Nope, different tools for different needs
The T nor the XVario are as good complement as my X2 to my M9+lenses, none of them has that "pocketability" factor.
The XVario is still a valid allround camera on its own.

Back