Does the T kill the X?

• Yes

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • No

Votes: 61 69.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nope, different tools for different needs
The T nor the XVario are as good complement as my X2 to my M9+lenses, none of them has that "pocketability" factor.
The XVario is still a valid allround camera on its own.

Agree!

Some people will prefer the new layout/look of the "T" and that fact that is has interchange lenses and they can use their M mount lenses on it. Others will prefer the more traditional layout/look of the X2 and X Vario.

From a price/cost point of view the X2/Vario seems like a better option for those looking to dip their toe in the Leica waters while the "T" seem more for those who are ready to jump in with both feet.

Interesting opinions by all.
I suppose the X2(3) has a place but the XV less so with the arrival of the T.
I'm surprised no one mentioned the deticated dials on the X series over the T, that's what I really see as the difference when it comes down to it, I don't think thats enough though.

Michael

@Peter S: good photos in your LFI link, I like very much the "On the Road in Georgia (Caucasus)" one!
robert

many thanks, Robert, much appreciated!

In my opinion, the Fuji X100/100S pretty much killed the X series. Why pay Leica prices for a camera that does less then the X100/S for $700 or so less. And you get an optical finder.

I prefer the lens of the X2. I have not seen such lovely rendering in a compact, save for the Contax T3. For the lens and egonomics (two dials) I prefer the X2 even over the Sigmas, whos IQ otherwise is superior (I do care for taking pictures in bad light).
I can operate the X2 entirely with one hand (with the JJC cap), mandatory for a lot of my photography. The X series has/had huge potential, like for 50 and 21 mm (equiv) version or a monochrom.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the deticated dials on the X series over the T.
Michael

thats what I meant with ergonomics.

Anyways, I love my X2 and X1, despite their quirks. They saved several photo projects when my other cameras went south, and their files print nicely.

...I prefer the lens of the X2. I have not seen such lovely rendering in a compact, save for the Contax T3. ...

Call it the Rollei 35S for me, but that's my feeling too.

While I like the X2's ergonomics (and size when off), I think the T's ergonomics—principally the manual focus, EV comp, and aperture selection—are actually better for the way I tend to use these cameras. I can see it: set the AutoISO range to fit my druthers (generally from bottom to ISO 3200 on this sensor), aperture on the right dial, EV Comp on the left dial, AF or MF on the lens ... That's all I need. Use with either a 35mm FoV OVF (for shooting at f/5.6-f/8, AF enabled) or the EVF (for shooting at wide open and MF), just like I do with the X2.

If the Summicron-T 23/2 ASPH is an even better performer than the X2's Elmarit 24/2.8, even more to the plus side for it. And the T is more flexible: I can fit a zoom if I want, or a longer lens. Could be a perfect "carry it all the time" camera.

G

I would actually be more interested in an X3 with the T's nonretracting 23/2... but I already have an X100s.

An X... camera with this T bayonet for the more traditionalist photographers...not a bad idea...maybe :)
robert

I'd be OK with a fixed nonretracting 23. The retracting lens is the main thing that put me off of the X1 when it was released.

Back