Don't know whether i should buy...

maniac95

Local time
4:29 AM
I'm looking for a new camera as i am bored of my canon 20d. I use a canon p to shoot film and love the rangefinder feel so am going to get a digital rangefinder.
At first i was sure i was going to get the new fujifilm x pro 1 but now that i've found the epson i can't shake it from my head.
I love everything about it apart from the sensor and it's annoying me. If only it could be replaced. Even 8mbps would sell it for me.
As dedicated Epson users do any of you have any inside info that would sway my mind either way?
Thanks

Taken with the Epson and 35mm 1.4 Nokton SC

med_U35930I1381699474.SEQ.0.jpg

5 MP is small. The sensor is big enough, but the files are small enough so you avoid judicious pixel-peeping.

The X-pro 1 is a whole different beast.

The RD-1 is a wonderful camera.

Nice picture.

When you take pictures is there ever a time when you wish the sensor was better? How does it perform in low light conditions and whats its noise like?
The problem with Epson reviews is they either say its the best camera ever or the worst so its hard to get solid info imo.

Would you recommend it over the fujifilm?

I have the Xpro now after selling my RD1. I changed for no other reason than the Xpro would work alongside with my X100. Had I not changed I would still be shooting the RD1. Loved that camera but couldn't afford to keep it.

Paul

How do you find the x pro? I liked the look and the specs but thought it felt a bit cheap. Only held it quickly in an airport though so i might be wrong.

Nice picture.

When you take pictures is there ever a time when you wish the sensor was better? How does it perform in low light conditions and whats its noise like?
The problem with Epson reviews is they either say its the best camera ever or the worst so its hard to get solid info imo.

Would you recommend it over the fujifilm?

It's a good sensor up to 1600 iso, if well exposed of course. Noise is nice and clean.

In regards to the R-D1

Three things I like:

The mechanical advance lever
The colors and fidelity of the CCD sensor
The ergonomics of the camera while shooting

Three things I dislike:

The effective base length of the rangefinder
The small (pixel width) files
The shutter sound

I eventually sold it since I just wasn't using it enough. It's a great camera, it's relatively inexpensive nowadays, and the files can really be beautiful.

The X-pro 1 is an entirely different camera, with different rendering, that excels with its proprietary lenses. It's lighter, but I find it to be well built. The viewfinder is cool, but it's not a rangefinder and should not be expected to function as such. It's an autofocus camera and will output files that look like more pedestrian CMOS files. It's my go-to digital camera at the moment and there is something to be said about fuji's support, its lenses, and its size/weight. At this price-range it's ahead of the curve.

Something to consider, I have read in this forum that the original Rd1 is no longer supported by Epson although I believe that the s and x models still are. So if you spring for the Epson you might be better served getting a later model. BTW when I looked at them recently, IMO they seemed pretty pricey for the age and level of tech.

Something to consider, I have read in this forum that the original Rd1 is no longer supported by Epson although I believe that the s and x models still are. So if you spring for the Epson you might be better served getting a later model. BTW when I looked at them recently, IMO they seemed pretty pricey for the age and level of tech.

Thanks for the info - i would get an rd1s if i do get one. It is true, they are expensive for the tech... there's just something about them. I'm really torn over it.

except for the possibility that repairs could be an issue, the rd1 is a great camera.
the pixels might be few but they are large and make for beautiful images…almost agfa like colour. if you make prints and keep them to 16x20 or less you should be just fine.
if you want a rangefinder at an affordable price it is the ony game in town.
i used to own a couple of them and loved using them…i changed because i wanted/needed autofocus as my eyes are slowing down my ability to manual focus.

Thanks for the info - i would get an rd1s if i do get one. It is true, they are expensive for the tech... there's just something about them. I'm really torn over it.

if traditional rangefinder is what you need, or just look entry level digital rf to try it out, go for it.

While the M8 costs significantly more than the R-D1 it is at least in somewhat similar ballpark. Between the two, it was the obvious choice for fast wide angles until the introduction of the CV 21/1.8. Any other fast wider lens for R-D1 is very expensive. The Epson is a camera mostly for normal lenses. Of course, you can succesfully use pretty much anything on it, but this is where the camera body and sensor give the best match.

Having owned RD1S, and currently owning
X-E1 & M9, here are a couple of late might thoughts.

Unless you print big or shoot in the dark.
Get the Epson !!

Although with a 1.4 lens and 800asa
you can shoot almost in the dark.

The ISO noise level on the M9 is not any
better.

The colours on the Epson are way nicer
and more film like than the FujiX series
when straight out of the camera.

The Epson ergonomics are fantastic, especially
compared to the M9.

-TC

I had a X-Pro1 (or actually two)
I sold both of them and bought a Epson R-D1s, because I fell in love with the camera and rangefinders.

What I did not like about the X-pro1:
Light and feels like an empty shell
Autofocus lenses were noisy when focussing
The optical viewfinder made the autofocus quite bad
Electronic viewfinder was too low res and lagged when moving.

What I did like about X-pro1:
Great image quality, resolution, dynamic range, colors
Amazing iso performance
Great lenses
Fast and reliable camera
The screen and menus

What I did not like about Epson:
The resolution was just to low for me
Iso too bad
Dynamic range too bad
Too slow overall
Hard to focus (compared to my Leica M9 I now have)

What I did like about Epson:
Charming and funny camera.
Colors are great
Nicely built, heavy and solid

Now I have bought a Leica M9 and all is well!
But I actually do miss my X-pro1 and I will buy one again soon!
Today, I would not care about the evf/ovf problems and noisy autofocus.
It was an amazing camera! And to go along with my M9, I could not think of a better camera.

The Epson was a funny, cool camera, but just not good enough for ME.

If I was you, I would buy a film rangefinder camera, for the nice built quality, the charm, the rangefinder experience (and all the things I liked about the Epson) and buy a X-pro1 for the great pictures it can take!

Hope this will help you.
Have a look here: http://louwit.blogspot.com/ It's a blog, where I wrote about the X-pro1, posted pictures, gear and so on. It might help you choose the X-pro1 ;-)

Wow guys thanks for all the great responses. I'm probably slightly leaning towards the rd-1s now but still unsure. This is probably the most stupid question ever but what is to stop someone making a same size (physically) sensor as the rd-1's but with more pixels and replacing it? If this is possible i read a lot on this forum people wanting to do a kickstarted for a new epson - would this not be cheaper and more viable?

Wow guys thanks for all the great responses. I'm probably slightly leaning towards the rd-1s now but still unsure. This is probably the most stupid question ever but what is to stop someone making a same size (physically) sensor as the rd-1's but with more pixels and replacing it? If this is possible i read a lot on this forum people wanting to do a kickstarted for a new epson - would this not be cheaper and more viable?

this is one of favorite pastime topics of this forum. replacing one component would not be enough. probably all the electronics and software that runs in the camera would need to be redesigned and replaced. even if its just later generation Sony sensor that is currently in RD1 (same as Nikon D100 for instance).

Maniac-

6mp should be plenty for most applications. Do you tend to crop heavily or need large enlargements?

To me the ergonomics and color-rendition of the R-D1 are still on a class of their own, this many years after its launch.

However, ask yourself if you can live with the 1:1 finder, which is great for 50 FOV, but a bit limiting for wider lenses. External VF are available and depending on your style of phtography, you might do just fine with them, or just do what many Epson owners have done: get good a guestimating FOVs.

I have only owned my RD-1 for about 6 months now and I must say that it is a real joy to shoot. I also shoot a m4/3 system but the 6mp of the RD-1 is still plenty enough for me. The camera is simple, direct, fast (I zone focus most of the time), and very easy to use and it produces outstanding images. It is old technology but then again, even though I shoot nothing but digital cameras now, I still shoot like I always have. I love the camera.

Both of these photos were shot with Voigtlander lenses. The first was the 21 f/4 and the second shot was with the 35 2.5.

p420172057-4.jpg

p1921106179-4.jpg

Hi guys, i think i'm probably going to get the epson. What has swayed it is i will probably be getting an m6 at some point so being able to share lenses will be great. Also, if i ever come into a lot of money i'll probably get a digital m so makes sense i think. Thanks for everyone's input!

Back