Don't know whether i should buy...

The R-D1 is one of those cameras that you have to use to understand - the specs themselves don't sell this camera. Unless you print bigger than 18 x 12 (inches) on a regular basis the R-D1 will not disappoint - I have a 30 inch wide print on my wall at home that I am happy with, YMMV. ISO at 1600 is better than the Leica M8 - I had both and tested this so I am speaking from experience. If you shoot quickly you'll run into a full buffer, but if you are a considered shooter the camera will not get in your way. The only difference between the R-D1 and R-D1S is the firmware and you can update the R-D1 to v2 firmware (most will be already). The B&W conversion from Epson Photo Raw is better than you can get from any other raw converter and is very good and film like. It is, in my opinion, the best digital implementation of a film camera ever in terms of how you shoot it and control shooting perameters. There is no need to look at the screen after your initial camera set up unless you chimp. They are relatively inexpensive for a real RF experience - about the price of an M4.

Good luck with your choice.

BTW I still shoot with an Olympus E1 DSLR (only 5mp:eek:) and still get very nice A3 prints.

I recently decided that I'll soon be parting with the bulk of my camera gear(lack of use), but I'll definitely be keeping the Epsons as long as they're working.

Taken with the Epson and 35mm 1.4 Nokton SC

med_U35930I1381699474.SEQ.0.jpg

5 MP is small. The sensor is big enough, but the files are small enough so you avoid judicious pixel-peeping.

The X-pro 1 is a whole different beast.

The RD-1 is a wonderful camera.

This is a really great shot, like it!

I think you should get the R-D1 just to experience the RF and the 1:1 VF. I have full-frame DSLR and the Sony RX-1 but I still enjoy my R-D1s + CV 40/1.4

In short, I always bring my Sony RX1 or my DSLR setup along with the R-D1 to get that "super quality" picture. When I don't need that super quality file, I enjoy using the R-D1.

Back