Don't tell us, show us your story in three photographs or less: People and Cellphones

med_U45148I1434479232.SEQ.2.jpg

X-E1, 35 1.4

I didn't take this photo, but it perfectly represents much of what i hate about this era:

tumblr_ngp1r0FJEa1qz6f9yo1_1280.jpg

I mean, Christ — they're all even dressed exactly the same.

The scope of the electronic "device" plague has become so all-pervasive in scope that to me, photographing persons engaged in such self-absorption has completely lost any appeal as a photographic subject.
And I truly wish people would stop posting these endless photos of this incredibly rude and mostly unnecessary behaviour.

Contemporary Love

tumblr_np9w2jhR8q1qzqfvfo1_1280.jpg
1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('http://41.media.tumblr.com/6a34338b175aaa739312cfbb33b130ca/tumblr_np9w2jhR8q1qzqfvfo1_1280.jpg');" border="0">
Link

The scope of the electronic "device" plague has become so all-pervasive in scope that to me, photographing persons engaged in such self-absorption has completely lost any appeal as a photographic subject.
And I truly wish people would stop posting these endless photos of this incredibly rude and mostly unnecessary behaviour.

...these people and those devices are not going away AND there is going to
more of both.
Although I am distressed by the almost total lost of humanity by this cellphone social media generation, this is what is seen on the streets of the world everywhere.
If the light is right I will photograph the subject with or without phone regardless.

...these people and those devices are not going away AND there is going to
more of both.
Although I am distressed by the almost total lost of humanity by this cellphone social media generation, this is what is seen on the streets of the world everywhere.
If the light is right I will photograph the subject with or without phone regardless.

Agree Frank.

The greats always photographed their times and what ever was a reflection of that. The question becomes how can you make the photos of people with these devices interesting in a way that reflects our times.

trf-2015-2.jpg

Kid is small enough to be in a baby stroller, and his parents have him playing games on a goddamned smartphone. As a middle school teacher, I see kids addicted to these devices and it saddens me to see a kid starting down that path so young.

Ah lad. Irony, to be sure - given that, to be sure, you've read the title of the thread, haven't ye.

Back