Leica LTM Early Elmars

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
I’m have the Elmar 50mm f/3.5 in M mount. Is it true it has the same optics as the screwmount red scale Elmar but in M mount?

I’m have the Elmar 50mm f/3.5 in M mount. Is it true it has the same optics as the screwmount red scale Elmar but in M mount?
I think when both lenses are from the same year of production the lenses are the same.

When there is a difference in length of the lens measured from the mount of the camera the optics are different.

Apart from the very early production (1925 - 1928) all the Elmars 50mm f3.5 draw about the same. Of course when coated there will be some difference. The latest Elmars 50mm f/3.5 ("true red scale", these lenses are longer) are told to be improved, but the difference is very, very small).

The Elmars from the 1950's with an M-mount are optically the same as the screw mount Elmars from the same period AFAIK.

Erik.

Last edited:
s-l1600.jpg

In an ad on eBay I saw this picture of an old Elmar lens. Curious glass surface. Does anyone have an idea about what happened to this lens?

Erik.

I think the reflection is showing the surface of what is being reflected. It's not a smooth surface that is being reflected, it has texture to it, which is what you're seeing Erik.

31352607887_df827bfa77_z.jpg

They're tiny and apart from the aperture control, they handle so well
The ring with the old Leitz code name "VALAU", originally for the lens for the the enlarger "VALOY", can be used on this lens both as a shade and and as an aperture control ring. Very convenient and not expensive because the Leitz dark room goods are all forgotten. Available in chrome and nickel.

Erik.

The ring with the old Leitz code name "VALAU", originally for the lens for the the enlarger "VALOY", can be used on this lens both as a shade and and as an aperture control ring. Very convenient and not expensive because the Leitz dark room goods are all forgotten. Available in chrome and nickel.

Erik.
Unfortunately these days the VALAU rings are going for as much as the lenses.

Back