ebay; why ...

... so, why do they perpetuate their deception on this forum?

I don't follow. My comment was about ebay, not this forum, and that was what your post was about, wasn't it? Title says "ebay: why ..."

But there is no philosophical difference. There's no reason why anyone should be compelled to disclose information they consider private to the world at large.

His name is clearly stated in his posts: Stewart McBride. Sparrow is just a username for the site. Most people online are cowards who hide behind their usernames, I respect Stewart for posting his real name, unlike so many others.

easily the most ridiculous thing I've seen posted here on RFF...

I don't follow. My comment was about ebay, not this forum, and that was what your post was about, wasn't it? Title says "ebay: why ..."

But there is no philosophical difference. There's no reason why anyone should be compelled to disclose information they consider private to the world at large.

Well, Mr Ludens ... my question was why do they conceal ebay's name, and not; why they conceal their own

PS. You probably need to read as far as the question mark before formulating your answer

I think this refers to people using other words for 'ebay' such as fleabay or evilbay. (I may be wrong). I think they do it to try to appear 'cool'.

I just checked and fleabay.net is a webisite selling stuff but evilbay.com is, well, I'm not really sure. I'm also not sure whether people who use these terms are aware of this.

Seriously though, classic RFF. The guys asks a Q about why we don't say eBay (like Lord Voldemort or something) and pretty soon we're all putting each other down and way off topic. Sheesh.

Anyway, to the OP: it does seem silly. Nobody has any idea, but my guess is some old-timer/RFF regular got mad at eBay and it's been that way ever since... ;)

(I'm sure someone will be offended, but it's not intended. Lots of people here take themselves too seriously a lot of the time.)

I call it "Fleabay" as it's an on-line fleamarket for people to get rid of their tat (or at least it was once....), there is always the chance of buying something that smells of fag smoke or is infested with fleas :)

The reduction to Eb*y is to prevent every thread in the forum to show up in a google search.

I don't know why people won't put their location in a profile.

To respond to the OP. My understanding and recollection is that many internet forums would prevent your post if it contained the words "ebay," "craigslist," or other website names. I don't know exactly why various sites did this, but I have distinct recollections of being very frustrated by not being able to communicate what I wanted to say in posts at various times because of such auto-blocks. Perhaps because of my experience, I have always assumed that pseudonyms for ebay stemmed from this. Now, as to why someone would choose "fleabay" over "the bay" or "eb*y" probably has more to do with their view of the company, but the existence of pseudonyms has a practical, historical, cause.

PS. You probably need to read as far as the question mark before formulating your answer

I have found most only read what they want to read. Then they claim you did not say that..

Back