ELCAN replica lens posts

scautez

Established
Local time
11:16 PM
I see a few online sellers are taking pre-0rders for the Elcan 50mm f2 now. Anyone keen for this one?

It looks promising that I may get an early prototype of the ELCAN 50/2 replica to test, hopefully within the next 6 weeks. Since I do not have access to an original to do an A:B comparison, are there shooting situations that others here might like to see documented with the replica lens? I plan to take similar shots of everything with a 50/2 APO Summicron for comparison.

FWIW I wrote a long write-up on the original ELCAN 50/2 which will be in the upcoming LHSA Viewfinder magazine, but I will also make available the article separately here.

Perhaps we will need a new thread.

Ed

It looks promising that I may get an early prototype of the ELCAN 50/2 replica to test, hopefully within the next 6 weeks. Since I do not have access to an original to do an A:B comparison, are there shooting situations that others here might like to see documented with the replica lens? I plan to take similar shots of everything with a 50/2 APO Summicron for comparison.

FWIW I wrote a long write-up on the original ELCAN 50/2 which will be in the upcoming LHSA Viewfinder magazine, but I will also make available the article separately here.

Perhaps we will need a new thread.

Ed

I am not sure where to order an Elcan copy from. Is there an official LLL website known for placing orders?

Will Kevin again be the middleman? Maybe not.

Why so, Erik, and at which price level .... $1300+?

I love the image quality ... see this shot by Kevin, very nice bokeh and sharpness ... And the lens is very handy. NB: this shot is with the original Elcan.

Erik.

49394161516_8297fbc1da_k.jpg

I found one pre-order site by googling "Light Lens Lab ELCAN 50mm F2 "KE-7A" kit replica Pre-order". Its expected delivery date of August seems quaintly optimistic. It links to nice pictures, though. AFAIK LLL are still in the prototype stage with this lens.

I am quite eager to get my hands on this, though.

Ed

It is as costly as a CV lens. The QC warranty may be missing. It is a risky buy in the end. You could get lucky or not.

…and if you get lucky, what does it offer that a VM 50 APO does not aside from the novelty?

The Elcan replica is considerably smaller, and based on the sample photos, way more characterful. The VM will be more perfect and modern looking.

I agree the price point is not attractive. I do like the sample photos...

I find it interesting the guy in Toronto is selling the LLL 35 replica for CAD 1700... I think after shipping and exchange I paid less than half that through Kevin. 1700 I'd consider for an original. Maybe. :)

I was really interested until I saw the price. I don't mean I expected such a great deal as I got on 2/35 here, but still... Somehow anything over 1K does not work for me.

And was just wondering: what price would you guys consider acceptable for Elcan replica?

The Elcan replica is considerably smaller, and based on the sample photos, way more characterful. The VM will be more perfect and modern looking.

I agree the price point is not attractive. I do like the sample photos...

I find it interesting the guy in Toronto is selling the LLL 35 replica for CAD 1700... I think after shipping and exchange I paid less than half that through Kevin. 1700 I'd consider for an original. Maybe. :)

I was just wondering where you happened to see the sample photos of the Elcan? Thank you

Back