End of the line for Holga

02Pilot

Malcontent
Local time
4:31 AM
Got notification from Freestyle (the U.S. distributor) that the Holga plant is closed and there will be no more. Get one now if you want it.

Lol, could we expect a rise in prices pver the next few years?

I better start buying those color versions, they may fetch a collectors premium :)

Actually bad news in that Holga gave film a boost with younger consumers. Not surprised though since its almost impossible to get film processed quickly and cheaply as was the case when these toy cams got popular.

Oh well Ill buy one just to remember the concept.

No great loss. There are plenty of cheap'n'nasty cameras still for sale on the used market. Quite a few cheap'n'good, too: Lyubitel, for example.

The only worrying part is that there may be a decline in the number of brain-dead hipsters buying film, but as part of the appeal of toy cameras is often outdated film, i.e. film that no-one else wants, this may be irrelevant too.

Cheers,

R.

Just wait a few years. Somebody with a 3-D printer will come up with a new one and offer it for sale.

Jim B.

No great loss. There are plenty of cheap'n'nasty cameras still for sale on the used market. Quite a few cheap'n'good, too: Lyubitel, for example. The only worrying part is that there may be a decline in the number of brain-dead hipsters buying film, but as part of the appeal of toy cameras is often outdated film, i.e. film that no-one else wants, this may be irrelevant too. Cheers, R.

Hipsters are people too Roger.
Brain dead is not nice. :(

No great loss. There are plenty of cheap'n'nasty cameras still for sale on the used market. Quite a few cheap'n'good, too: Lyubitel, for example.

The only worrying part is that there may be a decline in the number of brain-dead hipsters buying film, but as part of the appeal of toy cameras is often outdated film, i.e. film that no-one else wants, this may be irrelevant too.

Cheers,

R.

Roger isn't your post a bit harsh, one could say that Leica users are Braindead Hipsters as well. Sorry but both Holgas and Leicas were used by pros the difference those braindead Holga Hipster probably bought a lot more film than the small Leica user community. And looking at a lot of People who buy Leicas I'd say they are Hipster that use the camera as Fashion Statement.

Also looking at the Output of many Holga users and comparing them to the Output from Leica users I'd say the Holga users are no worse photographers than the Leica photographers. Both create 90% forgettable work.

And yes I'd be saddened if Holga went the way of the Dodo.

Oddly enough, my Leica does not get much appreciation as a fashion accessory...

Why wont the ladies notice my Leica... Not even when 100% of my photos are forgettable ;)

Guess I do need to consider some lizard or ostrich skin...darn it all!

"Holga Factory Ceases Operation of Holga Cameras!
HOLLYWOOD, California ----------- November 25, 2015

Freestyle Photographic announced today that the factory that produces Holga Cameras has ceased operations and will no longer be producing these Cameras and accessories.

The origins of Holga began in China in 1981. At the time, photography was skyrocketing in popularity and the 120 film format was most pervasive. Holga was introduced to the Chinese public as an inexpensive medium format camera. Unfortunately for Holga, no one could have predicted the enormous impact 35mm film would have on the Chinese market. In only a few short years, Holga was overrun by its smaller format competitors. Word of an all-plastic camera spread west and its popularity grew. Tens of thousands of cameras were sold in twenty different countries with almost no change in the original design. Holga Cameras have been a part of our photographic heritage for over 33 years and have been instrumental in not only teaching photography, but also in being able to express film creativity in the digital age. “It is with a sad heart that we say goodbye to a camera that has been so popular with so many. A Holga Camera really is about creativity and unpredictability and a refreshing medium in today’s digital age.” states Gerald H. Karmele, President and Chief Operating Officer of Freestyle. “Holga outlived many other cameras but, as like we have seen throughout the years, is yet another casualty of the digital age”

According the factory spokesperson in China, “…all Holga tooling has already been thrown away and there is nothing available for sale.” Inventory is still available throughout the United States and around the world, but as units sell out, they will be no longer available."

I use both, Leica and Holga. Is 90 % of my production forgettable? Yes, probably much more. Does my brain still work or is it dead? It depends whom you ask the question :D

Not sure if the above makes me an hipster :) but anyway I feel sorry each time a camera producer stops his production, close it plants...

robert

A sad time!
The biggest problem is processing.
I have many rolls of color and very unhappy at cost of processing.
I had scans recently done at same time.
My scans on Canonscan were far sharper and superior. Mmm.
Holga, Cosina. Who next?

I'm sad to see Holga go, but I find it hilarious the line about "all Holga tooling has already been thrown away . . ." When you look at other companies in the film business, when they went out of business, people were scrambling to purchase their manufacturing equipment, and although I'm sure most of it wasn't sold for what it was worth, at least the companies got something for it. But Holga just pitched it in the trash. Reminds me of stories I read in the 1990's about the Chinese company that made the GI Joe dolls for Hasbro back in the 1960's and 1970's. When there was a resurgence in GI Joe interest in the mid-1990's, they went back to the factory to see if they could make new dolls from the old molds, and they were told that the old molds were all at the bottom of a harbor in China.

Maybe that follows along with the disposable society.

Past hipsters were flappers (1920s), zoo suiters (1940s), beatniks (1950s), hippies (1960s), punks (1970s), and ravers (1990s). They're not hurting anyone, just trying to be different.

Not all hipsters are brain dead. Some are.

Cheers,

R.

Roger

I have to reply to you here. I'm not satisfied with your response. It's just as lame as the original comment.

It's really tiring reading this attitude.....
From the other side it sounds like,.... Old Luddites hiding behind the word Hipster any time they don't approve, comprehend, appreciate, or understand.
Methods some folks are passionate about may not appeal to you. No need to be derogatory.
Live and let live. Evolve or fossilize.

Best!

I'm sad to see Holga go, but I find it hilarious the line about "all Holga tooling has already been thrown away . . ." When you look at other companies in the film business, when they went out of business, people were scrambling to purchase their manufacturing equipment, and although I'm sure most of it wasn't sold for what it was worth, at least the companies got something for it. But Holga just pitched it in the trash. Reminds me of stories I read in the 1990's about the Chinese company that made the GI Joe dolls for Hasbro back in the 1960's and 1970's. When there was a resurgence in GI Joe interest in the mid-1990's, they went back to the factory to see if they could make new dolls from the old molds, and they were told that the old molds were all at the bottom of a harbor in China.

Maybe that follows along with the disposable society.

I remember the GI Joes, but I had an Illya Kuryakin doll with U.N.C.L.E. briefcase. That was pretty cool back then!

Roger

I have to reply to you here. I'm not satisfied with your response. It's just as lame as the original comment.

It's really tiring reading this attitude.....
From the other side it sounds like,.... Old Luddites hiding behind the word Hipster any time they don't approve, comprehend, appreciate, or understand.
Methods some folks are passionate about may not appeal to you. No need to be derogatory.
Live and let live. Evolve or fossilize.

Best!
Dear Andy,

It's just not important. Much like hipsters and Holgas. It's all lightweight stuff. Are some hipsters brain-dead? Pretty much. Are all Holga users hipsters? I'd be astonished if they were. I'm amazed at the vehemence of the reaction.

Cheers,

R.

Back