End of the line for Holga

I personally would never use a Holga.
The point is though, I know friends who do use them.
A few are full time, very successful photographers.
A few are top professionals.
Hipster certainly, not cover the whole scene.
Leica as jewellery another area..
We should all mourn the loss of Holga.

Ah, too bad. Surely someone will buy the brand and create a new line of cheap cameras? It seems like the concept still has life in it.

"Hipster" is a nonexistent category of person. It basically means "person whose taste I don't like"
That's about it. Though I might qualify it as "person with no taste at all of their own, dedicated to fashion rather than to substance." In other words, one who is "hip" to the latest trends.

Cheers,

R.

A sad time!
The biggest problem is processing.
I have many rolls of color and very unhappy at cost of processing.
I had scans recently done at same time.
My scans on Canonscan were far sharper and superior. Mmm.
Holga, Cosina. Who next?

Cosina? Not True.
Cosina is doing great.
Voigtlander is adding 5 lenses 1st quarter of 2016.

The end of Voigtlander film camera production a few months ago is hardly the end of Cosina or Voigtlander.

Stephen

Losing Holga is bad news but life goes on. Maybe I'll get an Instax camera next. That could be fun.

Here's a shot taken with my Holga:

6785843106_9df73d31bf_z.jpg

Losing Holga is bad news but life goes on. Maybe I'll get an Instax camera next. That could be fun.

Here's a shot taken with my Holga:

6785843106_9df73d31bf_z.jpg
Nice shot Mablo. The center is really sharp. I have a roll I will develop over the holidays. Maybe I will load & shoot another roll. Instead of mourn it's loss, celebrate these camera's. I shoot Holga & I'm no hipster.;)

Nice shot Mablo. The center is really sharp. I have a roll I will develop over the holidays. Maybe I will load & shoot another roll. Instead of mourn it's loss, celebrate these camera's. I shoot Holga & I'm no hipster.;)

Says you :) Instead of mourn it's loss, celebrate these camera's +1 and I want to add one shouldn't say bad things about the deceased. If one didn't like it okay but you don't have to gloat, If one liked it and mourns the loss take a lot of Pictures with the one you have and celebrate it being alive.

As long as Hipsters help to keep film alive, I embrace them. Really.

I don't think (hope) that the end of Holga means the end of film, though.
Film is doing pretty well in its niche. It will become more and more expensive perhaps, but I don't expect to be extinct in a couple of years. You also can still buy vinyl records, heck, even tapes if you look for them. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Will I miss Holga? No, not really. For two reasons:

1) I tried Holga for the first time some years ago. Couldn't really understand the hype. After some time, I bought another and tried again. Still couldn't see why some people love it so much. I do understand some other Lomography stuff, though! I kind of like my "La Sardina" esp. for its imperfections and love my "Spinner 360°".

2) If I really got the feeling that I need a "Holga" shot, I stick my Holga-Nikon-lens to my Df and "enjoy" the dark viewfinder and the special outcome. ;)

As long as Hipsters help to keep film alive, I embrace them. Really. . . .
This is what I tried to say in my first post. Unfortunately I didn't make it clear enough that there are both brain-dead and non-brain-dead hipsters.

But as I pointed out, how important is the brain-dead contingent among them? And, how important are people who buy only outdated film?

If you wish, substitute "partially witted" for "brain dead"

Cheers,

R.

Just thought I'd mention it for those who don't know,
The film Photography Project (google it) still have a plastic medium format camera for $20 called the Debonaire if I remember right. It is a 645 format, or 4.5 X 6 for 16 shots on a 120 roll. From the few samples they show it looks to be about Holga quality.

Just go to their site, click on shop then on cameras, it is 3 or 4 rows down.

Back