Epson R-D1 vs. Leica M8

Epson R-D1 vs. Leica M8

• Epson R-D1 or R-D1s

Votes: 267 55.7%
  • Leica M8

Votes: 212 44.3%

• Total voters
This is a simple, two step process. #1 - Look at the sample photos for each that are posted on the various web sites. #2 - Pull out your wallet and see what is in there. Decision made.

rancid said:
...I am nearsighted with -3dpt and the -4 correction lens was a better fit on the R-D1s for me than the one with -3...
Difficult to say... I need +1.5 and i use +1 with the R-D1 and +2 with my Leica bodies... Perhaps by brain is getting worse as well...
fou.gif

rancid said:
But you have to be careful!
As far as i know, with the correction lenses for FM2,3A etc. - at least with the original Nikon ones - you have to keep in mind that the stated diopter value is 1 dpt off.
This is due to the fact, that the FM2,3A etc. viewfinders are corrected to -1 dpt as default without an eyepiece lens. So if you buy a -4 dpt correcttion lens, it is really only a -3 dpt lens and that gives -4 dpt with the FM2 viewfinder.

Are you sure? isn't this a thing of the Nikon viewfinder? (I am asking since the Leica M viewfinder is half a dpt. off - and I suppose it's the same with the Epson.

The viewfinder has a minor low dpt because of the distance between eye and viewfinder glass.

Cheers,
dacaccia

myoptic3 said:
This is a simple, two step process. #1 - Look at the sample photos for each that are posted on the various web sites. #2 - Pull out your wallet and see what is in there. Decision made.

Done. It's now clear why I have neither camera :(

MCTuomey said:
Done. It's now clear why I have neither camera :(

oh dear - no banks in the area that you can rob?

But seriously - I've gone for the R-D1s mostly because it seems like the best option until a truly mature digital RF camera becomes available. In spite of what the M8 enthusiasts say about the camera's IQ, I'm neither super-impressed by the output in comparison to film, nor do I think it's reliability record is anything to be proud of (yes I know there are people who'll protest that they've had no problems, but the two M8 owners that I know have both experienced shutdowns).

So while I wait for an M9 or a Nikon M-mount, the Epson is doing just fine.

mani, thanks for responding. i managed to scrape funds together for a used R-D1 from another RFF member. awaiting its shipment. i'm sure the camera will prove to be better than i am ;)

Some day I will sell all my gear and buy Leica M ....12 digital probably...
Now I'm RD user because feel bad spending USD 6 000 (price in Russia) for a cam I will not be able to take outside of my house uninsured

My Vote was for the R-D1. For my purposes a rangefinder camera must be as simple as possible. For the possibility to take digital rangefinder images I would like to have a body that is like my M6 (or like a M7 or ZM).
And no crop.
And, please, with a quiet shutter.

Wishes... :)

Regards, Axel

R-D1 or M8 ?

R-D1 or M8 ?

Hello all,

I tested both M8 and R-d1 intensive and decided the R-d1 to be the better camera in most aspects.
High iso response is much better on the R-d1, in fact the M8 is not usable at real high iso's .
The R-d1 is usable to 6400 iso (1600 -2 stops /Camera raw push +2) see http://www.xs4all.nl/~eddy38/bangbang/bangbang.html
The previous famous work field of the Leica M was in low light and silent conditions,
Since the M8 is quit noisy and can't handle high iso I really have my doubt for who this camera is build, it's not for the low light photojournalist for sure
and at low iso there are much better and more affordable alternatives.
In fact the M8 use the same design sensor as the Kodak dcs pro/n, a 6 year old design and you see Leica struggle to keep up with current sensor designs.
This Kodak camera was burned to the ground for it's image quality and when Leica brings the same sensor (with microlens) few people speak.
The Leica cannot hide the screen so will always be identified as a digital (I work in conflict and foreign news so do not always want to be the "journalist")

The charger is a rock, I bring my 10 inch laptop and mini satellite to save space and find the charger therefore to big, 2 battery slots would be great !
The best thing at the M8 is off course the range finder, the focus is more accurate than the Epson, but the M8 lacks the 1:1 view .
The current update for the M8 is strange, you have to pay (big) for the problems they couldn't solve right away?

If you realize that the 3 year older R-D1 design can keep up with the Leica easily is most aspects, even beside the money payed.
I believe Leica looked the wrong way while building the camera, hopefully the M9 will be a real M camera.

http://www.eddyvanwessel.com

Congratulations, I liked a lot your "photo-poem-reportage" (how do you call that?). Great mix of music, words and pictures. Technically, the pictures in low light had a great look, though I could see some banding and a couple of hot pixels now and then, but overall the look of your picture was special. Probably not has noise free as some of the newest DSLR but again, it gives it character. Especially loved the last few and the one with the singer/rapper under the spotlights.
Finally, you have pushed further my investment project on the M8. I love the R-D1 and these kind of posts comfort me in my idea that the M8 would be only marginally better on some specific situtations.

Congratulations, I liked a lot your "photo-poem-reportage" (how do you call that?). Great mix of music, words and pictures. Technically, the pictures in low light had a great look, though I could see some banding and a couple of hot pixels now and then, but overall the look of your picture was special. Probably not has noise free as some of the newest DSLR but again, it gives it character. Especially loved the last few and the one with the singer/rapper under the spotlights.
Finally, you have pushed further my investment project on the M8. I love the R-D1 and these kind of posts comfort me in my idea that the M8 would be only marginally better on some specific situtations.

You also should have a look at his other work. Most of his other work is also exclusively done with the Epson. He is a true master with that camera.

Alex

This was shot on an R-D1s, 75mm Summarit at f2.5, 1/4 sec hand held, iso1600 -2, or ei 6400, jpg post processed with Picassa. I used to get rid of the noise before post processing using Noise Ninja, but I've since decided that I like it, so now I leave it in. Gives the photo more of an edgy look.

/T
Edit: P.S. No noise removal.

Attachments

• Soul_Mamas__0101-1.JPG
    Soul_Mamas__0101-1.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This was shot on an R-D1s, 75mm Summarit at f2.5, 1/4 sec hand held, iso1600 -2, or ei 6400, jpg post processed with Picassa. I used to get rid of the noise before post processing using Noise Ninja, but I've since decided that I like it, so now I leave it in. Gives the photo more of an edgy look.

/T
I love this shot.

I love this shot.

Thanks. This was a back stage grab shot of some of the actresses in the rock musical "Soul Searching" at Don't Tell Mama piano bar and cabaret, 46th and 9th NYC, May 20th, 2008. I didn't have high hopes for it when I took it. They were in a very dark hallway with backlighting and about 15 feet away. It has been cropped by about 1/3rd.

/T

I have a Canon 5D and a Fotodiox focus confirm adapter for R lenses. I really like the way it renders people, but for most things, I still prefer film. A couple of shots with the 80 f1.4 wide open with the full frame 5D.

Attachments

• Balance.jpg
    Balance.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Rift.jpg
    Rift.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
but if high level of grain (noise) in B/W images is acceptable, is the M8 really so far behind?

I'm not sure if you're a member of the leica camera forum, but there've been some really horrible examples of the type of grain you get with the M8 at high ISOs posted there: really nasty digital banding and very unfilm-like looking noise.
Naturally, there's also a lot of talk about how "film-like" the M8's noise is, but this is usually backed-up with tiny jpegs that have been through Noise Ninja before being resized.

If in doubt, do what I did - trawl through Flickr and download 100%-scaled captures. After some detailed comparisons I could definitely see that high ISO is mostly better on the Epson than the M8 (and that neither of them are as good as film).

/T
Edit: P.S. No noise removal.

IT is the way to rock!! :) You're brave to use 6400 for colors. I like the pic anyway. I use 6400 for BW very often too. Rd1 is so fun :)

IT is the way to rock!! :) You're brave to use 6400 for colors. I like the pic anyway. I use 6400 for BW very often too. Rd1 is so fun :)
Nice shot indeed. The shortcoming of this technique is the banding IMO. I believe there is some on the shot, Tuolumne can you confirm there was some on the original file ?
On my RD1, 1600 is ok most of the times but when pushed banding usually starts to appear.

Back