Epson R-D1 vs. Leica M8

Epson R-D1 vs. Leica M8

• Epson R-D1 or R-D1s

Votes: 267 55.7%
  • Leica M8

Votes: 212 44.3%

• Total voters
Nice shot indeed. The shortcoming of this technique is the banding IMO. I believe there is some on the shot, Tuolumne can you confirm there was some on the original file ?
On my RD1, 1600 is ok most of the times but when pushed banding usually starts to appear.

I don't see any banding. Where do you see it?

/T

I don't see any banding. Where do you see it?

/T
Maybe I am crazy ... :eek:
Starting above the right eye is a purple vertical line followed by a 3 or 4 other ones on top of the hair. I saw it on two out of three screens I own. Very thin though, could be light ray effect, jpg artefacts or very probably my tired mind.

Nice shot indeed. The shortcoming of this technique is the banding IMO. I believe there is some on the shot, Tuolumne can you confirm there was some on the original file ?
On my RD1, 1600 is ok most of the times but when pushed banding usually starts to appear.

indeed, banding starts show at iso 3200 and higher. I haven't found any fast way to fix this in Photoshop yet but it is fixable, I believe. It is maybe difficult see at colors, but at BW it is easy to see.

I confess - I don't see any banding in either the posted shot or the original at 1:1. I even converted it to B&W and still couldn't see any banding. Perhaps I just don't have a critical enough eye.

/T

I confess - I don't see any banding in either the posted shot or the original at 1:1. I even converted it to B&W and still couldn't see any banding. Perhaps I just don't have a critical enough eye.

/T

I haven't tried eighter yet, but it seems that the Epson is more what I'm looking for.

I just can't afford M8 and it seems that the R-D1 has features more appealing to me and I might even buy one soon.

I tried the M8 yesterday at a shop. I like the tank-like build, but I think it's a little too heavy, how heavy is the R-D1?

I didn't feel comfortable holding the M8 and to me, that's more important than the image quality.

I tried the M8 yesterday at a shop. I like the tank-like build, but I think it's a little too heavy, how heavy is the R-D1?

I didn't feel comfortable holding the M8 and to me, that's more important than the image quality.

Actually, the R-D1 is heavier than the M8 (590 g vs. 545 g each w/o battery).

Best regards,
Uwe

I don't think there is any question that the RD-1 is superior to the M8 in form and fit. It's pleasing to the eyes, ergonomically; it is just the right weight, a joy to hold and use all day. Most controls are at the fingertips, and the only issue may be getting used to the idea that a digital camera needs to have the shutter cocked with each use. I don't mind it. :D

M8

M8

I owned the RD-1 and sold it a ways back. Recently I was fortunate enough to be able to afford the M8. I vote for the m8 if you do not factor in cost. The reason is that I was always living in constant fear of the RF becoming mis aligned. It was never perfect even though i fiddled with it which was livable but did bug me.

I owned the RD-1 and sold it a ways back. Recently I was fortunate enough to be able to afford the M8. I vote for the m8 if you do not factor in cost. The reason is that I was always living in constant fear of the RF becoming mis aligned. It was never perfect even though i fiddled with it which was livable but did bug me.
And the M8 never gets misaligned?

I've had both and I kept the M8. The R-D1 is an excellent camera. I only wish Epson had decided to keep manufacturing it. It was quirky but the sensitivity in low light was outstanding and a lot less noisy than the M8. If it was still manufactured and supported, without hesitation I would have kept using it.

But, truth is, I did not want to be beholden to a camera which if it broke down would be nearly impossible to service. My investment in Leica glass was significant and I decided to protect the investment by moving to a camera which will be supported indefinitely: the M8.

LouisB

I decided to protect the investment by moving to a camera which will be supported indefinitely: the M8. LouisB

And with all its documented problems, the M8 will need a lot of support. When these problems are corrected with the M9 I may consider buying one.

Meantime my new R-D1s will cover these requirements.

I've had both and I kept the M8. The R-D1 is an excellent camera. I only wish Epson had decided to keep manufacturing it. It was quirky but the sensitivity in low light was outstanding and a lot less noisy than the M8. If it was still manufactured and supported, without hesitation I would have kept using it.

But, truth is, I did not want to be beholden to a camera which if it broke down would be nearly impossible to service. My investment in Leica glass was significant and I decided to protect the investment by moving to a camera which will be supported indefinitely: the M8.

LouisB
Product support will not save your investment as obsolescence will destroy it in a few years.

I’m really glad some people continue to take shots at the little orphaned, obsolete R-D1. If most people on this forum actually auditioned it, and were truly confident it would continue to be repairable for at least 5+ years, it might actually be going for more than the M8!

I’m really glad some people continue to take shots at the little orphaned, obsolete R-D1. If most people on this forum actually auditioned it, and were truly confident it would continue to be repairable for at least 5+ years, it might actually be going for more than the M8!
Yep, I wonder what would have happened if the RD1 had been launched by Leica. Ergonomically, it is closer to Leica's older models.

Yep, I wonder what would have happened if the RD1 had been launched by Leica. Ergonomically, it is closer to Leica's older models.

what do you mean leica's older models? do you mean M5 nothing else? If I compare Rd1 to DSLR, it appears much like as a leica but if I do compare rd1 to analog M and it feels suddenly big, both at height and thickness. As I said above, it is not a problem for me. If you thought about comparison to M8, it is understandable.

I actually believe that Leica wouldnt choose swiwel LCD door if it make the body thicker. But a budget model would be nice :) Striped of many features etc.

Last edited:

but the R-D1 is repairable for at least 5+ years -- Steve's Camera so that should be a non-issue.

(btw, i love cocking the shutter :D )

Back