Ever bought a NEW Leica body or lens.

• yes in the last 10 years

Votes: 302 45.6%
  • yes more than 10 years ago

Votes: 75 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 285 43.1%

• Total voters
Three new lenses had to go back for faults. Several second hand lenses have all been good. The only new body I bought had to go back twice to have its rangefinder finally put right, and the second hand older body has been fantastic from the beginning.

50mm Summilux-M E46 millennium black paint

3 x 50mm Summilux-M Asph (black, silver, black chrome)

28mm Elmarit-M Asph

Leica MP a la carte

(And numerous used items)

A current summicron 50 essentially new, but labeled as "mint" because it was returned to Leica. It then made it's way back to the retailer and the sale to me included the Leica three year passport. The price was significantly reduced.

The only things I ever bought new were a 50 Lux ASPH and a 25/2.8 Biogon, both about three years ago. Everything else has always been used. At the time the 50 ASPH was near-impossible to find used and I got a good deal on it and saved on sales tax by buying out of state. I mainly shoot film bodies but I've got my eye on used M9-Ps and M-Ps.

Sure there's something romantic about starting with brand new equipment and putting age and patina on it yourself but you've got to have deep pockets for that kind of romanticism! I still try to find the best examples of used equipment I can and in some cases can start with nearly pieces to begin with but I think most of us shooters are willing to overlook previous-owner wear and get to making pictures.

Used in excellent condition is priced too high relative to new unless it is digital and the model has been superseded. Then the defects have become largely known.

Buying a current model that looks as if it was used by a war photographer would have to be free.

My M8 was just a trial to see in general how I liked digital Leica. It had few miles on it. I still own and use . The M9P was bought new.

There is always the issue of we can not read the shutter clicks on 240 so that is like buying a used car without looking at odometer reading.

Nikons are easy to read and they are direct. I don`t buy them used unless they are close to new as Nikon does not keep spare parts very long.

M262 this past February. 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH, not long after it was introduced, and when it cost $1,495 new. It's now double that and more.

Back in the 90's I bought a new M6 (that I still own) and an R6. Then, in 2007, an M8. I regret having sold the R6 and having bought the M8.

M240 -> Then bit by the SL bug then I found out my family business was sold and the family kicked my wife and out, so we had to move and the SL was sold to pay rent.

Otherwise, no. I have an M6TTL and M9 purchased used.

Ken Hansen gets a lot of my dollars, stellar 50 LUX ASPH off him.

I tried to buy a new 50 summilux ASPH once, gave up after five months of waiting, and got a used one instead.

After five years shooting various used Leica film (M6), digital (M-E), and lenses, I bought a new M262 early this year. I was finally at the point where I knew I would keep it for many years, had the money saved up, and the timing aligned with a new model that I felt was right for me. So far, so good, and I am enjoying it a lot. Shortly after the M262 arrived, I sold some stuff to buy a used 35 summicron, reverting to my usual preference for used gear. When it comes to buying new lenses I preferred Zeiss until now, but with good digital and film M bodies already paid for and usable for many years I can now justify saving up for a new Leica lens.

Cheers,
Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes... But starting earlier with a 9-year-old M2 and new 35 Summicron. Both my M8 bodies came used through RFF Classifieds. And the now-gone used M9 too. The M240 and S2 were new but "store demo" cameras. I keep looking for ways to cut the costs!

Yes, one body (M8.2) and three lenses (Summicron 28 Asph, summilux 50 Asph and Summicron 75 Asph.). I added a new but demo lens (summilux 35) and like new but used SE 21 Asph. this year. I am waiting to add a new Leica M of the next generation.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

No, not when you can buy like new ones for a more reasonable price. I don't buy new cars either. Saved thousands and I still have very nice things. - jim

Back