Exakta lenses

David Murphy

Mentor
Local time
2:45 AM
Does anyone know a way to inexpensively mount an Exakta lens on a non Exakta body such as a Canon (FD/FL) or Minolta (MD) camera *and* preserve infinity focus? Can it be done? I've nearly given up finding a good working Exakta body and I don't want to spend a ton of money having one overhauled. I do, however, adore many of the lenses made for Exkata.

Unless my memory's playing tricks, Canon once made an adapter for Exakta mount lenses. However, your chances of finding one are slim.

David Murphy said:
Does anyone know a way to inexpensively mount an Exakta lens on a non Exakta body such as a Canon (FD/FL) or Minolta (MD) camera *and* preserve infinity focus?

I bought an adapter (made by Minolta) for Minolta MD camera to Exakta lens about 25 years ago. It works fine;it is a tight fit for the Angenieux 35mm Exakta lens (still works, though); no difficulties on the other Exakta lenses i tried. It might be worth a search. There is also an adapter for Exakta lens to Olympus Pen FT if you want to use that half frame slr.

there is an adapter listed in my 1967 Minolta SRT 101 users manual to use Exakta lenses on the Minolta.

Yep, you can use a "Canon Lens Mount Converter E", which allows you to mount inner-bayonet Exacta lenses on an FD camera. Like this Zeiss Biotar 75/1.5:

And as you probably know the lenses can be a bargain, usually cheaper than the equivalents in other more popular mounts. Unless you get stuck between two Exacta collectors. :)

My father picked up the adapter (and lenses) years ago so I was spared the trouble of finding one. There's one up on eBay as I write this, and I think I've seen them on KEH now and then. I don't think they're rare so much as obscure; most sellers just don't know what they're for or how to describe them properly.

My solution is to use an Exa, the baby, cheap, Exacta. When my Exacta died, I found an Exa in a pawn shop. They are rugged, simple, but are made with the shutter release on the left, as with most Exactas.

Jim N.

OK I just bought a new-old-stock E adapter for the ghastly sum of $100.99 on the big auction place (I was nearly outbid too) - hardly cheap, but I am intrigued. I'll try it on my Canon Ftb-QL and post some results here.

OldNick said:
My solution is to use an Exa, the baby, cheap, Exacta. When my Exacta died, I found an Exa in a pawn shop. They are rugged, simple, but are made with the shutter release on the left, as with most Exactas.

Jim N.
Jim I tried an Exa once too. To quote one notorious ex-member here: "it tapered like a #&%$@$#" (substitute the vernacular for 'female dog'). The Exa's are kool looking machines though.

Last edited:
I have a decent, working Exakta VX II. It should get a CLA, as it "squawks" in the cold. Found it on the 'bay about three years ago, with prism & WL finders, f 2.8 / 50 CZJ Tessar; f 4.5 / 135 Schacht "Travegon", and a GE DW light meter, all for about $150.

There are certainly a wide variety of lenses available; Exakta was the
"Leica screw-mount" of the SLR world for quite a while...

I have found most lenses in Exakta mount to be on the slow side...

If you're not dealing with low-light situations, then slow lenses shouldn't be an obstacle.

Let us know how you make-out...

Luddite Frank

OK here is my proposed solution ready for a "test-of-fire'!! This is my new Canon E adapter on my Ftb-QL with an Exakta-mount Meyer Gorlitz Primagon 35/4.5. It focuses to infinity as advertised. I'll try to test it soon and post some photos.

canone2red.jpg

canonered.jpg

Does anyone know a way to inexpensively mount an Exakta lens on a non Exakta body such as a Canon (FD/FL) or Minolta (MD) camera *and* preserve infinity focus? Can it be done? I've nearly given up finding a good working Exakta body and I don't want to spend a ton of money having one overhauled. I do, however, adore many of the lenses made for Exkata.

I have Ex > SLR adapters & working Exakta cameras, contact me at [email protected] Thanks don

exakta lens

exakta lens

Just as a matter of interest (?) Exakta actually made lenses in FD mount. I have a 28-135 macro zoom.

Help to remove Canon Lens Mount Converter E!!

Help to remove Canon Lens Mount Converter E!!

Help! Put my new to me Canon oem Lens Mount Converter E(xakta) on my FD mount & works well. But I can't figure how to get the converter off! I have a big shoot in 4 days, not using Exakta lenses. So it needs to be off asap. There's no bayonet release button or breech collar to rotate. I remember mounting it by turning clockwise until it click & locked in to place.

Help! Put my new to me Canon oem Lens Mount Converter E(xakta) on my FD mount & works well. But I can't figure how to get the converter off! I have a big shoot in 4 days, not using Exakta lenses. So it needs to be off asap. There's no bayonet release button or breech collar to rotate. I remember mounting it by turning clockwise until it click & locked in to place.

Is an Exakta lens currently mounted on the adapter? If so, you should remove that lens, as it is probably covering the release tab for the converter. There should be two releases on the front of the converter, one is a lever to release the exakta lens from the converter, and the other is the one to release the converter from the camera.

Back