Experts: Explain WHY you shoot film to NEWBIES

1. Excellent long-lasting equipment out there not braking the bank. Options for full, medium and large format.

2. Possibility to scan and do wet printing.

3. It is hard to blow out cheap supermarket color film.

4. I like the look of film.

5. I like to support my local mini lab.

6. It is a waste keeping all the perfectly working film cameras unused.

7. Film camera design went through several decades of development, so there are some very mature products on the used market.

8. I like handling black and white negatives.

9. Sometimes I like messing around in the darkroom, but it is easy to digitize film.

10. Yesterday, when out with a cheap compact film camera I thought: Amazing, this is full frame in a super small package with exchangeable sensors for an apple and an egg. Why pay more?

8635999770_bf07f0fd6b_z.jpg

Last time I checked the blacks of inkjets weren't even remotely comparable to a gelatin silver print. Look at any typical glossy fiber silver print and tell me inkjet is comparable to that. No f'ing way!
Well, not all prints have large areas of deep black... Those the the ones most likely to be indistinguishable! Then again, platinum prints don't have good rich blacks either.

And, of course, there are things like Piezography prints, with superb blacks, but looking quite unlike silver halide. Again, 10-20%

Cheers,

R.

There's only one reason I can give to use film, and it's the same as the reason I have for using digital: I enjoy it.

Everything else comes down to justifying what is neither justifiable nor in need of justification, in my opinion.

Sejanus Aelianus hits the nail on the head: fun.

For me it's about the fun of using the beautiful equipment, the anticipation of seeing the results, and the lack of computer involvement. I love computers, I am a professional software developer, and also I play with computers as a hobby. But sometimes enough is enough, and I need a break from them.

On film, also I can try stuff out cheap, like medium format and now large format, digital equivalents are still pretty pricey.

But really, it's about fun, enthusiasm, and just enjoying a hobby. I can't make myself enthuse about digital photography any more than I can make myself enthuse about football (soccer).

Film is a mature technology ... it really has nowhere to go regarding new developments which makes it very controlable for someone who wants to embrace it. Digital is in its infancy by comparison so IMO film is the easier medium to come to terms with while digital is something that you will evolve with if you choose it as your sole (soul?) medium.

I shoot film for two primary reasons:

1. The cameras - my M6 and Mamiya 7 are outstanding, all-time great cameras, and I got them for very, very little

2. The look - I process all of my digital images through VSCO anyway, so why not go all the way AND enjoy the gorgeous dynamic range and tones of film?

Scanning and post is by far the worst part of shooting film, but overall I find the whole process to be immensely enjoyable.

1. Excellent long-lasting equipment out there not braking the bank. Options for full, medium and large format.

2. Possibility to scan and do wet printing.

3. It is hard to blow out cheap supermarket color film.

4. I like the look of film.

5. I like to support my local mini lab.

6. It is a waste keeping all the perfectly working film cameras unused.

7. Film camera design went through several decades of development, so there are some very mature products on the used market.

8. I like handling black and white negatives.

9. Sometimes I like messing around in the darkroom, but it is easy to digitize film.

10. Yesterday, when out with a cheap compact film camera I thought: Amazing, this is full frame in a super small package with exchangeable sensors for an apple and an egg. Why pay more?

This.

10 char.

1. I'm a dedicated B&W shooter. There simply is a look to B&W film that can't be duplicated digitally. Even with SEP2, the differences are obvious to a trained eye.
2. Archival Issues: see PKR's post.
3. The tactile experience of a mechanical film camera. The difference between a Nikon F and a d800, or an M4 and an M9, is the difference between wearing a Patek Phillipe and a Seiko.

I like many film cameras because of their utter simplicity.

Cameras as basic as the Leica M2 or the Rolleiflex K4B don't complicate with menus and I only have to be aware of speed, aperture and focus.

I don't have to worry about whether I remembered to charge the battery or not.

I don't have to worry about a camera like my M2 being out of date. It has been out of date for almost 50 years.

Do I think film cameras are aesthetically better, in any way, than digital cameras? No.

I just find, that for myself, an older film camera is easier to use.

I am not an expert, just a lucky amateur with a bunch of nice old film cameras that I have gathered over the years.

For the expensive cameras, I have to consider the ability to eventually sell and get my investment back. My M6 will do this but a digital M????

Secondly, if I have to think about what I am doing I seem to get better results. My M6 and Nikon F outfits are better by almost every measure than my IIIc. Yet for the past several years 75% of my film has gone thru the pair of IIIc's I use and I like what I get from them. I almost always have one in my pocket.

Finally, in 1976 I got my first motor drive, an F36. I went thru a lot more film but got no more keepers. Focus on Quality not quantity. Joe

Its ALL about capturing The Light ... Its Delicate Ethereal Dispersion
And the Beauty of Imperfection
Nothing more Beautiful than the way Film captures IT

Love the Process, the Gear, the Experience & Touch of working with Film

Digi is Quite Fun, has a Tres Cool look about it & certainly has its Advantages
but the Light reads Differently
I can see using Both Mediums but at present still hooked on Film :D

Shoot film :
- so that you can use nice gear (brass, chrome, leather)
- more dynamics in color or B/W negatives
- more format to choose from : 6x6, 6x9, ...
- grain looks better than pixels when enlarged

Note : my technique is part film / part digital : I do not mind scanning and I like photoshop better than working in the darkroom..

This pretty much describes it for me. I like the process of shooting and developing b&w, the dynamic range, the details in a 120 negtive, and the joy of using cameras that I could not possibly have afforded 30 years ago.

There is also satisfaction knowing that a good b&w photo is the result of a process reflecting the photographer's skill at each stage.

I started my photography journey with film, 100% black & white film, back in the late 1950s. I used my Moms Kodak Brownie Hawkie and with 620 film I could make contact prints from a home made contact printer. The size of the negative gave me a decent contact print.

Negatives from this period are scattered around and I'm working on gathering them up, what ever is still around.

For color, I moved to primarily taking color slides as the development was considerably less than getting prints from color negative film. I have them stored in Kodak Carousel trays and need to review someday.

When I was serving our country with the U.S. Navy the bases I went to school, each had a darkroom. I was fortunate to have my little VW Bug with me, the Navy gave me permission to have it on base and I used to spend my spare time traveling around making photographs. I spent a few months on Treasure Island in San Francisco and made some nice night time photographs of the city from the island. That was when the Transamerica building was being constructed.

Today, I've gone back to my roots, making black & white photographs with film. I use a fair number of different film types and I enjoy experimenting with them all and I use different developers to see the variance. I like the look of portraits with TMX 100 film.

At any rate, I enjoy using film. The black & white darkroom prints have a look that I still like. I have a few different types of paper in various sizes. I no longer print in color.

It's something I can do until I don't wake up someday.

I love shooting B&W on 35mm, but honestly, it's tough to make a technical argument in favor of it. I love the look of TMAX & TRI-X, and I feel it handles highlights more gracefully than digital, but digital in expert hands may wipe away that advantage.

One area where film has an advantage (in the affordable realm, anyway) is with medium format, it's easier to minimize d.o.f. in the normal range perspective (esp with some of these 80/2 lenses on the Contax and Mamiya 645 systems).
Then there's 4x5: you have very flexible movements available to you... while I haven't gotten on with the movements yet, I do love the look of 4x5.

20130322183751_orchid_90mm.jpg

I converted to 100% digital in 2002. By 2008 I jumped fully in with my 1DMKIII purchase. In 2009, I stopped shooting digital. I had decided to sell all of my film equipment, but thought it best to give it one more try before abandoning film. So, in 2009 I picked up my Mamiya 7II and discovered that I no longer was able to select that "decisive moment". My shooting discipline was gone. Today, I shoot B&W film and 90% of my color as digital. I can't justify my use of film, but I do enjoy the rigors of the process.

My eight year old daughter shoots with an LX-7. She continues to ask me if she can shoot film. So far, I haven't given her that opportunity and because of this she believes that you only shoot film once you are ready to progress to the next step. I do know that she will consider this opportunity as something special and aside from shooting digital. I think that she just might have figured this whole film vs. digital thing out.

I shoot digi colour and silver halide B&W.
R.

I do the same thing, simply because I can control the color of digital file better than I can control color negative. Slide film is a different story, I love the saturated, thick colors of slide, but it comes out to $20 a roll of slide and I tend to shoot several rolls when I get into it...

Black and white film has such a nice range of shadows, such a smooth curve, and it is really diffiicult to over expose. You almost have to try to do that. Digital picture in that respect is more vulnerable.
I rarely wet print any more, just scan negative, prepare it correctly and send file out for printing, for my needs it's the optimal process.

One main things that stops newbies from shooting b/w film, I think, is fear of processing. In reality, it is cheap and very simple to process at home, equipment is minimal, chemicals are cheap. Once you try it, gets much easier...

I'll second PKR's comments.

For my personal work, the print's the thing. Whether it's from digital or film, I get my prints done by local commercial labs. Even at 6x9, for me, there is a depth and a richness that I get from film that I don't see in digital. That's my humble opinion! YMMV.

There's lots of detail in my digital prints and quite often they're sharper (that's pilot error) but I prefer my film originated prints.

For me (I can't stress this too strongly) a print from film is like an oil-painting whereas a print front digital is more like a water colour. Of course, other folks might prefer the latter.

I can see these differences in 35 mm and FF digital. When I shoot on 120, the gap is greater. I'm currently enthralled with the shots I'm getting with my Fuji 6x8 rangefinder. My budget does not allow me to shoot with a Phase One back but then you can't really walk around with those kinds of cameras.

Incidentally, I put my personal prints into A3 size artist's sketch books. They're cheap, with high quality acid-free paper, and being generic lots of companies make them. I've just started book number 64.

Just my two cent's...

I use film cameras most often for a few reasons.

At the most basic level, I use the cameras I use because I strongly prefer to use an actual viewfinder. With the money I am comfortable spending on this hobby of mine, almost any film camera and its VF are very much better for me than just about any digital camera's VF.

Added to that consideration, while a decent print on a wall is my goal, I also have some desire to enjoy getting there. I simply enjoy the feel of and methods for using the (mostly) old film cameras better.

After learning some basic knowledge of exposure and how to get the cameras to do what I want, I have found that deciding on how to set three options--focus, aperture, and shutter speed--is simpler and more direct than learning the more involved controls on a digital camera. Which means, for me, that a film camera gets out of the way as it were, much sooner than a digital.
I do own a digital camera and have used it to take photos I'm tolerably pleased with but when I need to replace the one I have, I will again need to spend quite a lot of time learning how to get the new one to do what I want it to do.
Rob

Back