Experts: Explain WHY you shoot film to NEWBIES

Why do I shoot film?
Plain and simple, I love feelings
-I like the feel of a real camera in my hands
-I like to be able to use the camera my father took pics of me with when I was a kid, or the camera my grandmother gave me 30 years ago.
-I like the feel of the mechanical shutter release.
-I like the feel of advancing film
-I like to have control over almost everything, and if I do something wrong, then the pic is not right.So no computer thinks on behalf of me
-I like real colours, real grain and real b/w, not software produced images.
-When I develop b/w in the darkroom (Seldom) I love to see the image appear before my eyes.
-I like to have to select what I shoot. not shooting tons of pics and not being able to see them
-I shoot with the camera my father gave me for my birthday 23 years ago, and still going strong.
-And I like to be a person with past, don't want to suffer a strike with "digital alzheimer" (that happens when your HD and your copy die at the same time). Know just too many people that lost 7 years of memories. In our grandad's times just 50-60 pics where the summary of a whole life (or even less), maybe some of them were lost, or destroyed, but always there were a handful left. What will happen with non printed files in uncompatible formats in 60 years time?

My first camera was an instamatic 25 when I was 4, I still have it, it still works. Would love to find 126 film to shoot at least agin one roll with it. That happened 40 years ago...Now I', stocking Agfa vista 200 , and when all colour films go, I'll swithc 100% to B/W. I started with film, and so will finish the journey.
To me there's no other way
Best regards to all

At the school where I teach, we still use film and scanning after loosing our darkroom. I prefer this hybrid method myself. I get asked often by parents why we still use film, so I prepared this statement which I will share:

WHY WE STILL USE FILM ©2015 Charlie Lemay

Just because we have Speedboats, does that mean we shouldn’t have Sailboats? Who learns more about navigating the waters, someone who learns on a Speedboat or someone who learns on a Sailboat? A Speedboat may be the fastest way to get from point A to B, but a Sailboat is all about the journey along the way.

When someone makes color images and gets immediate feedback their preconceptions are confirmed. The image they make looks just like what they expect the world to look like. When someone makes an image with black and white film, the feedback is never immediate, and when they do get the feedback in a print some time later, it looks nothing like what they saw in the viewfinder. It has been abstracted. Things that separated by color may not separate at all by tonality. This forces the photographer to try to imagine how they might approach a subject differently by trying to anticipate what will happen when their subject is abstracted into black and white tones. Photographing in color, without the experience of black and white practice, reinforces our preconceptions and makes it more difficult to see what only we can see when we stop seeing what we expect to see.

The key to finding our own unique personal vision is to shed the preconceptions that others have imparted to us, and to have an authentic visual encounter with our subject matter. Once one has this kind of experience, it becomes possible to make images, in color or black and white, that go far beyond what we are taught to expect to see.

Photoshop and digital capture are metaphors for the wet analog processes. Without understanding these through analog practices, something is lost. Having the analog experiences is the best preparation for the digital tools, which is why we continue to scan negatives even when we begin to output our prints digitally. The extended tonal range we get through the ZoneSimple technique makes negatives that are ideal for scanning.

Our student’s work is proof of the effectiveness of this approach.

Three reasons:

1. Barnack

2. FOR ME a great part of the "art" of photography resides in 24x36 rectangles marked Tri-X.
A well-made silver print can still stop me in my tracks.

3. I'm a stuborn old geezer who hates the "digital revolution." I don't know how to text and have no
intention of learning - no "smart"phone. I'll never use a computer masquerading as a phone
masquerading as a camera to take a photograph. It's just not enough.

Could you make your own digital camera? This is why people use film as well.
It allows you to be creative in different ways.
For example, one new film shop in Moscow. People come to learn how to do things like this:

30595284_1632137563547554_3129411058465243136_n.jpg

30595201_1632137616880882_6229647250197315584_n.jpg

Some of my reasons why I shoot film, then processed and scanned:

I need manual, which is rugged, reliable, and doesn't distract me. (I have special needs)
I take photographs to slow down, enjoy life, and enjoy where I've travelled and life I love.
Film is analog, it has life, it has soul and meaning.
Film is not instant gratification, nor ADHD.
Analog isn't perfect. I am not either.
I am different, born different. I am who I am.
I shoot, street, landscapes, life, living and people as they are.
I need buttons, knobs, and levers, not 2,000 menus and modes.
I take pictures because it is how I relax, it is how I express myself, it is my art. It calms me.
It also gives me a distraction from spasticity, pain, and fiery people.
I am old fashioned. I am retro. Some of my cameras/lenses are older than me.
I shoot manual, mechanical, use a handheld light meter often.
I want poetry, not pixel peeping.
Photography is my respite from wheelchair life, and also goes hand in hand with my adaptive life, and adaptive sports and the places and faces I've been.
I am analog!!! Born that way, and I will stay that way!!!
I have battle scars, and both me and my gear have them.
I need cameras which let me take the picture, and stay out of my way!
Why be normal and boring? I am not!!!

Last edited:
I don‘t care for the touchie feelies like how the shutter sounds or the smell of fixer. Only the photo matters. A b/w photo on the wall shot with b/w film looks better with that lovely grain. That said, digital can do a lot more and with unlimited iso and shutter speed can get the shot when film can’t. That said I’d rather look at a digital photo on the wall than a blank space. So if a shot can be done with film then use it but if you need 6400 iso and 1/8000 then go for it.

Newbies to film don't need any explaining as to why they shoot film. Like the rest of us, they have found their way to a different world, an alternate universe, where the latest and the best no longer matters but the truly good equipment, the older film cameras built from cast iron and held together with ocean liner rivets, are what does the work best for them.

Film has its place (to those of us who can afford it), as does digital. Both have their plus and minus points. Many argue it on the basis of an artistic (film) versus technical (digital) medium, which I rather think it isn't. The final image is the thing. Whether produced with Tri-X souped in D76 or on a Fuji Whatever set to monochrome with red, yellow or green filtration.

So yes (or rather no), this isn't meant to be a film versus digital polemic, rather an acknowledgment that, as the old saying goes, different strokes for different folks is the way. Film is an entirely different mind-space, possibly best described as opting to use an American War of Independence era flintlock rifle as against a Glock machine gun. We know that the Century 20 film pioneers produced their work without resorting to pixels or downloads or 1,478 images of the Sunday family picnic all posted on whatever web site they are linked to (which as we all know nobody much bothers to look at, but let's not go there).

I do agree with Ray that if you prefer film, then buy it, load it, shoot it, process it, then scan or enlarge it. If digital rocks your boat, then butter your bread with it and lie on it. As I see it, most intelligent thinkers have no argument with this and won't bother getting into any discussion of it.

On a more basic level, If digital suffices for you to record a sequence of your cat/dog cleaning its bottom, just do it. Please just don't go to the bother or effort of posting your 782 images of a sphincter-licking feline for us to have to suffer through, as most of us won't. Let common sense prevail here.

All this to say, in so (or too) many words, that the image is the end result. However it is produced.

I did film_digital_film_digital. Anything looks better on film, especially on analog print.

BTW, digital post processing is not really needed. You could have it SOOC.

Hah ... short essay:

I'm old. I've been doing photography with film since I was six years old ... that's 1960, young newbie ... and see no reason to stop. I have all the cameras, I have all the equipment, and I enjoy it. I also have a bunch of digital capture gear, and have been involved with digital capture and digital imaging since 1984. I enjoy that too.

The bottom line is that I enjoy making photographs and I like what the different recording mediums (and all the very different cameras I have) do. Being proficient in the use of both film and digital capture gives me capabilities and insights that I would not have otherwise, and expands what can be done.
'
What should you do? Whatever drives your curiosity and motivates you to making photographs, if that's what you want to do. Or play with camera technology, if that's what you want to do. Or play with chemical processes if that's what you want to do. Every photograph is a unique thing, a single slice of Time that you capture and render for whatever reason. It's the ultimate "art of the moment".

End of short essay.

G

Hah ... short essay:

I'm old. I've been doing photography with film since I was six years old ... that's 1960, young newbie ... and see no reason to stop. I have all the cameras, I have all the equipment, and I enjoy it. I also have a bunch of digital capture gear, and have been involved with digital capture and digital imaging since 1984. I enjoy that too.

The bottom line is that I enjoy making photographs and I like what the different recording mediums (and all the very different cameras I have) do. Being proficient in the use of both film and digital capture gives me capabilities and insights that I would not have otherwise, and expands what can be done.
'
What should you do? Whatever drives your curiosity and motivates you to making photographs, if that's what you want to do. Or play with camera technology, if that's what you want to do. Or play with chemical processes if that's what you want to do. Every photograph is a unique thing, a single slice of Time that you capture and render for whatever reason. It's the ultimate "art of the moment".

End of short essay.

G

Me too. Since 1961 when I was 13. Like you, I'm also old, well into ancientdom, and I still enjoy shooting film for many of the same reasons as you. I get colors and mid-tones from film that I can't easily achieve with my digital Nikons. as well as a "film look" different from the too-clean image taken with my D800.

I have the "definitely mixed" blessing of living in Australia, a nice enough place in most ways, but where our 62 cent dollars (= the South Pacific Peso) no longer buy anything imported cheaply - 90% of everything we have here is from overseas. Our politicians and businesses have destroyed almost all manufacturing, Kodak stopped producing films in Melbourne decades ago and most of us are now convinced our economy is fast headed south and sinking fast. Paying AUD $20 for a roll of color negative or film is beyond my pensioner budget, and even if I still had the dosh I would hesitate to fork out so much for 36 exposures which I would have to process and print/scan. So my film work is limited to the old films I have left. Mostly 120 rolls in my darkroom fridge, so I will likely end up using my Rolleiflex or Rolleicord, Zeiss Nettar or Perkeo I for my last analog image-making in this life. Sad, but so it is.

As for the darkroom, I still have one, but I've spent far too much time in my life (years, I reckon) processing and printing. In my time I disposed of enough FB and RC 8x10" sheets to keep several paper mills in profits. With the few years I (hope I) have left I prefer to enjoy in natural light. I'm okay with developing films and scanning when I feel like it, but nowadays those are rare moments, to be enjoyed with a glass or two of good red wine and nice music on the stereo system while I plod away with my mid-20th century processes. Please don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it all, as a now and then experience, not an ongoing pastime or as it was for me for many years, a way of life.

In my time I sold a lot of stock, in the days when book and magazine publishers bought images and paid well. Nowthe buyers eschew the stock photo agencies and ransack the free web sites for el chemo or even free "good enough" images (aka "digicrap".

For me film has had its day and place and time. I've enjoyed it, but all things change in our lives, and this is one.

Every now and then I take out one of my Ansel Adams circa 1950s film technique books, for the pleasure or reliving those long ago days when he was a mentor to so many of us. Now AA is largely relegated to How It Was Back Then, tho' a lot of what he wrote is still relevant even to dici-heads.

Yet I am still all for encouraging young photographers to "experiment" and play with film and old cameras, if only to "get the feel" of what it was like for us Back In The Day. And of course to keep the sales of film scanners going...

Purely my random thoughts on all this.

Last edited:
I started making photographs when all there was was film. I still have and use an analog darkroom. Only use black and white film anymore. When I started my business around 2004 I used digital equipment for various reasons. I used an iMac computer with Photoshop, CS-4 which works just fine for me.

Now that I’m retired, I use film most of the time. However, color it’s digital.

Back