Extreme post processing

Firenze 2009

Firenze 2009

extreme0032.jpg

it's started to get weird, can we go back to life in shadows

Weird how?

As a retired engineer that minored in industrial illustration, I can guarantee you that I would have killed to have our current "tools" to create images like seakayaker1's above. I will never, ever get those hours, days, weeks, months, years back -no matter how enjoyable they may have been at the time. Time I could use for life in shadows, etc...

I love it and would like to see more.

Let me put it another way... I used the term "image."

I do not see a photo. I see an illustration. The media used to create it was simply a camera.

The term "extreme" was used in the thread title...

it just seems that it's looks a bit like something my granddaughter does with her iphone and
apps
malcolm ps. your a year older than me --- but Jeff 48 and retired I'm just jealous

I like ^^^^that^^^^ very much!

It has an industrial "technical illustration" from the 60's-70's look!

It was taken in one of the older industrial sections in south Seattle, a lot of Boeing and other aircraft businesses on the other side of the river.

it just seems that it's looks a bit like something my granddaughter does with her iphone and
apps
malcolm ps. your a year older than me --- but Jeff 48 and retired I'm just jealous

. . . . . I would love to see some of your grandaughter's work!

Thanks for the comments everyone, they are all appreciated!

. . . . . another 30 days before reaching the young age of 62, retirement is on the mind but nowhere in site.

Well here is a triple exposure HDR photograph, with 3 images 91 Sec @ f11, 123 Sec @ f11, 153 sec @ f11. It may not be darkroom but I do enjoy playing with the images.

10139143935_c95168a6d8_c.jpg

apps

. . . .

That is a very good point of discussion, and I am not merely being argumentative on this - it is interesting.

If you judge pictures by how hard it was to make them, then photography is a sad joke compared to mixing
your own oils, smashing and mixing berries and eggs to make colors, making your own brushes and taking 3 years to execute a beautiful painting.

Which is probably why some in the art world say "photography is not art" (it's too easy).

Again, I am just putting thoughts on the table, because I have too much time on my hands at the moment :D

If you judge pictures by how hard it was to make them, then photography is a sad joke compared to mixing
your own oils, smashing and mixing berries and eggs to make colors, making your own brushes and taking 3 years to execute a beautiful painting.

Well, there you have it. I called out the barge-crane image for all of the reasons you just brought up. I loved the manual process, but knowing what I know today -would I do it again, or grab a camera and spend a bit in a lightroom?

A lot of extreme post processing tends to be just that and I do not care for it. In the case of the image that I liked, I look at it and see A LOT of my time as previously spent. I can appreciate it for being a successful use of post process to reach an end, marketable goal. Again, using the camera as the media or the tool to produce it. This is the mind part of one's hobby/profession, not the heart's -unless, of course, you have slaved over the manual media in the past.

That is a very good point of discussion, and I am not merely being argumentative on this - it is interesting.

Which is probably why some in the art world say "photography is not art" (it's too easy).

Again, I am just putting thoughts on the table, because I have too much time on my hands at the moment :D

Interesting point ... so Capa's D-day photos are OK because it was difficult (in the extreme)?

Interesting point ... so Capa's D-day photos are OK because it was difficult (in the extreme)?

His work is "OK" (or not OK) for whatever reason the viewer decides they are.
(I won't even bring up the rumors :eek: that his girl friend -wife?, I forgot - actually took some of them ,
and that guy getting shot was just actually slipping on wet rocks or something!)

I very much appreciate the struggle and effort some people put into getting their pictures. However,
I also enjoy a good (?) picture without regard to how it was created.
And I also respect the opinion of the guy next to me who hates the stuff I love (he has every right to be stupid and wrong :D :D) - that really is a joke, so please laugh.

Brief Comment on LuLa

Brief Comment on LuLa

A short blurb over on The Luminous Landscape regarding "extreme postprocessing" :

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/the_art_of_fooling_around.shtml

from which I extract this . . .

The art of painting liberated itself from the shackles of academic "correctness" before the turn of the 19th century. The Impressionists, the Cubists, the Pointillists and all of the other movements at the time said – "Screw it. Straight representational painting has gotten boring. Let's shake things up". And thus we ended up with Picasso, Chagal, Degas, Monet and the rest of the gang that revitalized painting in the late 19th and early 20th Century.

I started this thread but have lost track of it and not visited for a while till a member of the forum (DaveLeo) sent me a PM about it. (Thanks Dave) Kind of prompted me to come back and make a few more posts.

Even though I am happy to take images to an extreme I think that is most likely to succeed when I work WITH the image rather than against it. Here are some examples of me doing just that, I hope you enjoy them......................................................

PS I think it helps make my point that photography is about making art (or can be) - not just about capturing a moment in time.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This one is tweaked quite a lot in contrast and color saturation but is mainly a straight photo blurred through a moving camera and too low speed. A nice abstract effect.

BLUE CHAIRS

Blue chairs by yoyomaoz, on Flickr

Here too I took the opportunity to use a photo that was radically under exposed to give it even more contrast and make it look a little more moody and interesting by an extreme vignette.

DEEP DARK

Deep, dark by yoyomaoz, on Flickr

Here again I used the natural characteristics of the image and emphasized the colors and shapes to make them even more noticeable.

YELLOW CRANE, BLUE SKY

Yellow crane, blue sky by yoyomaoz, on Flickr

I really love reflections. Makes an ordinary image much more interesting. Here I bumped contrast and lowered the lighting to emphasize the layers of faces. I love this image - they dont come along often!

LAYERS IN SPACE AND TIME

Layers in time and space by yoyomaoz, on Flickr

Here it was mainly a matter of boosting the naturally occurring shadow to frame the subject and the distortion from the uneven glass surface. A bit extreme but simple.

FRAMED IN SHADOW

Framed in shadow by yoyomaoz, on Flickr

Here too - the image was out of focus and dark. So I decided to go for it and emphasize those qualities by darkening the shot even more and by adding some grain to emphasize the blur.

PIZZA

Pizza by yoyomaoz, on Flickr

I have to call this "extreme pre-processing" in that it took a long while to make the things that you see in the picture.
The postprocessing is a simple layer (aluminum foil !) burned onto to the base picture (a playdough sculpture), with the values first inverted and blurred and much-reduced opacity. Not a very "extreme" process, but whatever . . . .

"Never Let Me Go" . . . .
webprint703.jpg

Back