FED2 - DIY VF/RF Service (long w/images)

Thank you...
Just got my Fed 2 today. I bought it from an EBay seller. It looked ok and was very cheap. When I unpacked I found the vertical and horizontal alignment were way of. The range-finder was dirty en the lens was turning so heavy it came off the camera...
I found your article very helpful. So my Fed 2 is now clean, has a good aligned range-finder and a smooth operating lens. I did it in just over 2 hours. I do not have any experience in repairing camera's but I can manage and that makes me more confident for the future and my other range-finders.

I have a Zorki 4, Kiev 4AM, Fed 2 and 3. Just because I could not make a choice... I opened my Fed 2 and made it mine this way. I hope the first pictures turn out OK!

Last edited:
Hi, regarding the post on disassembling the two parts of the rangefinder lens, how is this actually achieved? Does the inner part of the two piece construction just unscrew anti clock wise or is there not even a screw thread? Thanks

I am also looking for the same information. I have an RF lens that I need to disassemble (came out in one piece) to adjust the vertical match, but I can't figure out how this lens works. I have in my hands, essentially one piece. The black inner lens with the silver "trim" seemingly affixed, and no way to adjust the inner window.

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this!

I am also looking for the same information. I have an RF lens that I need to disassemble (came out in one piece) to adjust the vertical match, but I can't figure out how this lens works. I have in my hands, essentially one piece. The black inner lens with the silver "trim" seemingly affixed, and no way to adjust the inner window.

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this!
The RF window is in 3 pieces. There is an outer chrome bezel which unscrews to reveal the inner two pieces. Sometimes, the bezel also removes the whole assembly. The inner pieces screw into the body and basically the outer part is an externally-threaded short tube. Inside that is the innermost piece which is a metal-surrounded window. This is just pushed in place and locked to the outer part with shellac after the initial adjustment. The inner and outer parts each have 2 small notches to allow them to be turned.

Hope that helps as to how it's made up!

The RF window is in 3 pieces. There is an outer chrome bezel which unscrews to reveal the inner two pieces. Sometimes, the bezel also removes the whole assembly. The inner pieces screw into the body and basically the outer part is an externally-threaded short tube. Inside that is the innermost piece which is a metal-surrounded window. This is just pushed in place and locked to the outer part with shellac after the initial adjustment. The inner and outer parts each have 2 small notches to allow them to be turned.

Hope that helps as to how it's made up!

Hmm. Thank you for this! Unfortunately I'm still at a loss for how to separate the chrome bezel. I understand now that it's screwed to the inner retaining ring, but it just won't budge. I'm afraid to put too much pressure on the outer ring as it will almost certainly destroy the threads which screw into the camera body, so using pliers or vise grips is out of the question. I've put the entire assembly into some rubbing alcohol for a few days hoping it would dissolve any grime that was holding the pieces together, but sadly it appears that had no effect. I might just have to call it a day on this particular piece and perhaps find a parts camera to salvage a better eyepiece, but I'll keep trying for a little while longer :)

Please, reupload the pictures! The links are broken!

Sorry about the broken links... My images are hosted by photobucket which up until the 31st of June 2017 allowed free hosting and embedding (for the last 14yrs) in forums like this one. As of the 1st of July without warning they have disabled embedding unless users pay an annual fee of $400 USD.

Anyone know a reliable, easy to use and free host that allow 3rd
party embedding?

I think you'll find all of the free hosting services will go the same way as Photobucket. I grasped the nettle, and set up my own web page to host pictures for linking.

Sorry about the broken links... My images are hosted by photobucket which up until the 31st of June 2017 allowed free hosting and embedding (for the last 14yrs) in forums like this one. As of the 1st of July without warning they have disabled embedding unless users pay an annual fee of $400 USD.

Anyone know a reliable, easy to use and free host that allow 3rd
party embedding?

Maybe flickr?

Back