FF NEX Coming Soon ..

What is the flange registration distance on a FF NEX is about 27mm? How will you adapt your Leica M-mount lenses then? That's my concern.

If this theoretical FF NEX couldn't take adapted M glass, I'd very happily carry on with my NEX7 and Zuikos.

Gotta love it even more:

"As usual with rumors keep your expectations low and be aware that this is a rumor based on mysterious sources and NON-facts."

Rumor is they're going to release 5 lenses for it:

- 18-200mm f5.6-8.9
- 18-300mm f6.3-11
- 28-400mm f5.6-8
- 28-70mm f6-7.1
- 35mm f2.8 made of old coke bottle lids

No concern.. Even 26.80 would suffice.. M-mount is 27.80mm and all LTM to M mount adapters are only 1.0mm thick. (LTM register distance is 28.80mm)...

No, you're forgetting that an M adapter needs a retractable latching pin, something that a thread adapter doesn't need. While a thread adapter can easily be only 1mm flange-to-flange you need something more in the range of 4mm to accomplish the mounting latch on an M adapter.

No concern.. Even 26.80 would suffice.. M-mount is 27.80mm and all LTM to M mount adapters are only 1.0mm thick. (LTM register distance is 28.80mm)

27mm distance is of secondary issue. It's not like Leica-M; FF-Nex users may want to use even 500mm lens on it.. Then with the microlenses (if provided to take care of below 35mm FLs) then there will be problem..

Not sure that's a fair comparison. Does the LTM adapter have a lock/release tab? AFAIK the LTM adapter is a simple ring with the M bayonet on the outside and a screw thread on the inside.

My Kipon LM-E adapter is total 15mm thick. As best I can measure with a metric ruler, the M side is about 8mm thick or deep and the E side is about 4mm deep. So the "tube" between the two bayonet mounts is 15-(8+4)=3mm. So it seems to me, the workable flange distance for a FF camera needs to be no larger than 18+3=21mm; i.e. take the current adapters and just take out the empty tube section and fix the mounts back to back.

Of course, there may be some engineering trick to get the adapter slightly thinner, but maybe only 1 mm or so.

Am I wrong? I hope I am :)

SR5 .. Sure thing .. Turns out to be Bogus.. Forget Sept. NEX FF

SR5 .. Sure thing .. Turns out to be Bogus.. Forget Sept. NEX FF

The whole thing was bogus. Now, the same person that told us that it was next to certain claims that a FF E-Mount camera is coming in 2013.

Yahhh... whatever..

No, you're forgetting that an M adapter needs a retractable latching pin, something that a thread adapter doesn't need. While a thread adapter can easily be only 1mm flange-to-flange you need something more in the range of 4mm to accomplish the mounting latch on an M adapter.

Let me clarify: We all are assuming Sony would be able to "squeeze" a FF-sensor into the E-mount... I do not think so, they need another type mount, a different configuration to move those pins toward the flange so that a 24X36mm sensor with at least 2mm peripheral mounting "framing" around could be placed into; think about a rectangle of min. 28 x 40mm... (Check these on any Nex-flange, the location of the pins in the flange is another issue as they were positioned for the APS-C sensor..) This, consequently might require the enlargement of the existing flange diameter at least the same amount which brings us to an inner diameter of about 51mm; which is the outer flange diameter of the M-mount. In other words, if Sony "wishes" the M-Mount lenses to be used on the FF-Nex, then they can easily go up to 26.80mm register distance provided that the flange inner diameter would be large enough for placing the spring latch mechanism for the M on the back surface of the adapter to remain "inside" the flange.

Now you would inquire why Sony would do that? Because, as I explained above they need a totally new mount for the FF-Nex, it can not be based on the existing E-mount. Any new flange of up to 26.80mm "distance" with larger inner diameter of 51mm would allow the use of M-mount lenses on this new body.

These, surely, are up to Sony's decision; we are simply assuming..

Leica M lenses are compact and full frame!

Leica M lenses are compact and full frame!

This talk about full frame lenses being large dslr types for the rumored NEX full frame are rubbish and nonsense! Why? Leica M type lenses are compact enough for the NEX 5n to make what Sony sells look huge. Look at the 35 v4 summicron M. A tiny compact stellar lens. I cannot wait go see if this rumored camera is for real and if it is, I may think twice about any M10!

This talk about full frame lenses being large dslr types for the rumored NEX full frame are rubbish and nonsense! Why? Leica M type lenses are compact enough for the NEX 5n to make what Sony sells look huge. Look at the 35 v4 summicron M. A tiny compact stellar lens. I cannot wait go see if this rumored camera is for real and if it is, I may think twice about any M10!

Leica digital M's have special micro-lens designs on the sensors because sensors and film react differently to angled light. Which is why a lot of m-mount lenses have brutal color vignetting on their sides when used on M9s, and why most wide angle M mount lenses have smudgy poor corner performance on current mirrorless cameras. To eliminate this problem manufacturers have to build larger lenses that are more telecentric in design. Take the zeiss/zony 24mm f1.8 for NEX mount for instance, which is a porker. You basically either get poor optical performance, or huge size. This is the reason why SLR lenses have gotten progressively bigger in the last decade too. Also, the bigger the sensor, the bigger the lenses need to be to be telecentric.

if this is true, expect some of the 35mm srl lenses gems, to skyrocket in value.

I'm waiting for such a camera for a decade

Me too. What's wrong with APS-C anyway?

APS-C sensors have become ubiquitous and cheap. Nikon D3200 has basically the same quality sensor as Nex-7 inside a $500 body.

A $2000 Nex full frame with support for legacy lenses and its focus peaking technology will be a very tough competitor.

Sony thinks more like a consumer electronics company than a camera system company. Because of that, they are more inclined to release bodies rather than lenses.

Simple as that.

Leica digital M's have special micro-lens designs on the sensors because sensors and film react differently to angled light. Which is why a lot of m-mount lenses have brutal color vignetting on their sides when used on M9s, and why most wide angle M mount lenses have smudgy poor corner performance on current mirrorless cameras. To eliminate this problem manufacturers have to build larger lenses that are more telecentric in design. Take the zeiss/zony 24mm f1.8 for NEX mount for instance, which is a porker. You basically either get poor optical performance, or huge size. This is the reason why SLR lenses have gotten progressively bigger in the last decade too. Also, the bigger the sensor, the bigger the lenses need to be to be telecentric.

In the future, please refrain from using physics and common sense.

Back