FF NEX Coming Soon ..

Me too. What's wrong with APS-C anyway? The IQ with Leica lenses is more than good enough already!

dont think its the case of "whats wrong", APS-C users may well use their medium and be happy. but for those who want to use glass of their preference, as it was meant, current situation is forced compromise (not counting M9 for its price). am not personally interested at all to see how my pre-war lens draws light on APS-C sensor, but might be curious enough to buy adapter for full frame sensor. would I play with such oddities all the time? ofcourse not. thats why modern lenses are for.

You basically either get poor optical performance, or huge size. This is the reason why SLR lenses have gotten progressively bigger in the last decade too.

I think AF with these USM motors, plus VR/IS is what has made DSLR lenses so much larger. Compare the size of older Nikon lenses against their newer ones.

It came from a Sony Rep. It's no secret that Sony plans to position in the Pro still market. Look at their Cine cameras. They compete with Ari & Panavision. I don't know about an NEX but the DSLR is coming.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-cinealta/

Well, I don't know if I'd say Sony 'competes' with Arri. Sony currently has one cine camera that competes and it's still new and experiencing substantial 'problems'. Sony definitely beat Panavision since Pana doesn't 'do' digital besides putting a PV mount on Red and Arri cameras so that they can use their lenses which haven't been updated since the 80's.

The thing is, Sony has the ability to overtake anyone in realistically any market segment should they be so inclined. The F65 shows Sony's plans to take over the cine market segment, which Sony is on track to do once the F65 is tweaked.

We've seen over the years Sony posture itself in a position where, with the proper product, Sony could dominate the marketplace. Their fullframe Alpha cameras are very good and are at a nice price point, but they've not been 'good enough' to convert people from Canon/Nikon. Where a FF Nex would have an advantage is that there would be less 'conversion' per se, in that those in the market Sony is aiming for are those who currently do not possess a digital FF solution. They're going for someone who wants FF but wants it compact which simply isn't possible using existing lenses. I don't consider RF lenses a 'real' solution to the majority of photographers due to obvious reasons.

Personally I think FF is overrated in a lot of respects, if I can get a wider shot I don't care if it's by making the sensor larger or if it's by making the lens wider to compensate for the crop.

I think AF with these USM motors, plus VR/IS is what has made DSLR lenses so much larger. Compare the size of older Nikon lenses against their newer ones.

Ok, ....

6mm_mini.jpg

;)

SNIP
"Sony definitely beat Panavision since Pana doesn't 'do' digital " SNIP

The Genesis has been out for a while now: http://www.panavision.com/content/genesis

"The main imaging module of the Genesis is made by Sony.."
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Movie_Making_Manual/Cinematography/Cameras_and_Formats/Genesis

I don't think the RedCam and the Sony F are in the same league. Red is new (it's a rental market for most and most rent Panavision, Ari and Sony - Red is a player - but not a big one yet). Sony has been in the market for some time and is the maker for sensors for many currently used cameras. I don't think Sony has any plans for a lens business. They rely on Zeiss and some Nikon builds to fill that segment. Sony is now in the pro market with the better Alpha DSLR cameras. They have some National Geographic photographers on board as well as many pros. The purpose in producing a FF body is to make use of the many lenses in various mounts in addition to a series of likely Zeiss-Alpha lenses. They have promised a FF sensor DSLR in the next months-year. This promise has actually cost them money, as many APS-C Alpha pro users have kept their kit minimal - waiting to trade up to the FF camera. I guess we'll see.

The Genesis predates 4k and can't honestly be considered in the same league as the Alexa and the Red. The Genesis just sits on shelves. I've worked one show with a Genesis and the only reason we used a Genesis is because Panavision gave us a crazy discount because it simply gathers dust. Red cameras hit the market in '07 and everyone has been playing catch up until the Alexa and the F65 hit the market.

Basically the bulk of Panavision's business these days is in their film cameras and their anamorphic lenses. There's very little demand in a camera like the Genesis which is bulky (requires external recorder), 1080p max and that tops out at 50 FPS. The image rendition is nice, but that only goes so far.

dont think its the case of "whats wrong", APS-C users may well use their medium and be happy.
Exactly. I'm interested in the picture and for me APS-C is doing a great job. The fact that my 35mm is now a 52mm is neither here nor there for me.

Back