Film Cameras = More Fun, More New Friends than DIGITAL?

I'm not a pro, but when I have to shoot digital for some friends or charity projects: I do use digital. It is not that great but it is easy and sharp (too sharp), and those people seem to like it (maybe because it is free). But when I shoot film it is like when I was 12 years old. The wonder of what it will look like and the attempt to be totally sure about exposure, all the camera settings, how will I develop it, Guide Numbers on my flash bulbs(at 12) and now the GN on my strobes (even though I don't like strobes like bulbs). It is an existential and Zen experience for me. So, I will live my remaining years the way I want; not the way industry or society tries to push me.

Strangely, not very much, least wise not in the town I live in. Hardly anyone seems to notice at all, even when I've got a old Kodak 6X9 folder slung around my neck or on a tripod. Go figure.

I've found that shooting with a TLR makes people (strangers, too) instantly relax. They think it's wonderful to be photographed with such an antiquity, and can hardly believe that such a thing still works. Conversations usually follow.

I've noticed the same thing with my TLR. Even if you couldn't make a case for its practicality, the psychological effect of a Twin-lens is absolutely genuine; it makes people who would shy away from a DSLR want to be photographed.

I find the same thing; I've had a conversation or two while carrying a digital. Mostly other Pentaxians who see one of their own. But a film camera usually generates a smile or two. A Large Format camera generates stopped traffic, some "is-he-crazy" stares and a long conversation or two.

I like the attention. Does that make me vain?

I've had people walk up and start conversations when I've had a variety of my older film cameras with me - anything from a Wista 5x4, Rolleiflex, Leica or Voigtlander Perkeo. Last weekend a young male member of staff at a large high street computer retailer in London nearly had a wardrobe malfunction when he saw my Mamiya 7. I was trying to find out about something I want to buy my wife for her birthday but all he wanted to do was fondle my equipment.....

Last weekend a young male member of staff at a large high street computer retailer in London nearly had a wardrobe malfunction when he saw my Mamiya 7. I was trying to find out about something I want to buy my wife for her birthday but all he wanted to do was fondle my equipment.....
:eek:

Whoa, a bit early for that! :D

Last weekend a young male member of staff at a large high street computer retailer in London nearly had a wardrobe malfunction when he saw my Mamiya 7. I was trying to find out about something I want to buy my wife for her birthday but all he wanted to do was fondle my equipment.....

Good lord... :eek:

I've had people walk up and start conversations when I've had a variety of my older film cameras with me - anything from a Wista 5x4, Rolleiflex, Leica or Voigtlander Perkeo. Last weekend a young male member of staff at a large high street computer retailer in London nearly had a wardrobe malfunction when he saw my Mamiya 7. I was trying to find out about something I want to buy my wife for her birthday but all he wanted to do was fondle my equipment.....

Did you tell him you have a wife?

Did you offer to let him hold the camera instead?

I also find that friends and strangers alike are more interested in my film cameras than if I had used a digital camera (I only have two basic ones, out of which I is broken).

There is something about the craftmanship of old manual cameras that acts like a magnet for questions and smiles. A Leica Standard or M3 or M6 or any of the fine film cameras are like Rolls Royce cars. Old fashioned in style but built like rocks and worthy of interest by others.

I am doing the "100 Strangers" project (see the group on flickr). Most of my shots so far (I'm in the mid-30s) have been done with a Hasselblad setup, and sometimes with an instant film back. People definitely notice this monster, especially when I have an old, silver, C lens on it. It has helped me get many a shot, I believe. Plus, I love the results (I think square is great for portraits).

100 strangers: ian (35/100) by mike thomas, on Flickr

Older Objects

Older Objects

My main photographic interests are in older objects. I drive a vintage Alfa Romeo, and photograph classic car events. I also belong to a classic boat group. Using classic cameras to take pictures at these events seems to provide a symbiotic effect. As this thread has noted people are interested in the build and quality of our classic film equipment. I have found that the owners of other classic 'toys' love to talk about my cameras. Often they will help to ensure that I get a good shot, by moving things around, or offering a ride. Classic cameras, for me, have provided an entree into the interests of others, as well as giving me a greater variety of photographic subjects.

So, are film cameras more likely to be more fun and a better conversation starter than a digital camera?

Well for me, at least, its definitely true.

Stephen

+1.

Stephen, I've made quite similar experiences.
When I am out with my DSLR (very seldom nowadays, I am returning more and more to film) absolutely nothing happens. No one is showing any reaction.

Completely different when I am in the streets with my film gear. Curious views and often comments. So far all of them very positive.
By far the most reactions I get when I am using one of my TLRs. People are always curious, ask me and start a conversation.
Interestingly in most cases women, especially younger ones are reacting very positive to TLRs.
TLRs seem to be a real "chick magnet" :).
I don't know why, but it looks like there is a something like a 'magical connection' between TLRs and women ;)....you may have a look here:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/girl-with-a-tlr/

I enjoy shooting with my film cameras out in the streets, places and public gardens, and have a nice conversation about photography, film and cameras from time to time.

Cheers, Jan

I find the complete opposite to be true. Digital, just like when shooting Polaroid back in hte "good old days", allows shooting and sharing... which is not as immediate when shooting film. With digital it is 'snap', "Hey, look at this great picture of you" versus film where it is 'snap', "I'll have that film processed by next week and then we can laugh at how funny you looked."

So far, minimal response to my M7. Perhaps it looks too modern in Chicagoland.

When I was out with an Aires III at the Illinois Railway Museum, a few of the older men noticed it, and some mentioned that they had one of those in the past.

Anything with bellows and a lot of chrome seem to speak "ancient camera".
Perhaps I should bring out my Super Ikontas more. I got a lot of attention at a party when I brought my Polaroid 180 around. One young man who is a policeman stated that the police departments used to use Polaroid pack films for mug shots of newly arrested alleged felons, prior to going digital.

Based on what has been written above, it seems that the Rolleiflex is the one to bring outside, especially if I want attention from younger women!

I'm in Korea at the moment and seeing quite a lot of people walking around with film cameras. They seem to fall into two distinct camps: late middle aged men with Leicas, and young women with 35mm SLRs, typically Nikons or Pentaxes.

All of them notice my Leica IIIf with Elmar 3.5cm lens and Kiev universal finder looking like a Gatling gun. Many simply smile but quite a few come and speak to me. One Japanese man offered me money - more than I paid too - for my camera. I have a Rolleiflex with me too but it's usually in the bag and not so visible.

In Busan, Korea, there is even a coffee shop devoted to film photography. The walls are lined with literally thousands if photography books and a nice collection of film cameras sits on a shelf. All are free for handling and browsing. A great place and a very generous gesture by the owner, a respected photographer himself.

Back