Film Cameras = More Fun, More New Friends than DIGITAL?

I am doing the "100 Strangers" project (see the group on flickr). Most of my shots so far (I'm in the mid-30s) have been done with a Hasselblad setup, and sometimes with an instant film back. People definitely notice this monster, especially when I have an old, silver, C lens on it. It has helped me get many a shot, I believe. Plus, I love the results (I think square is great for portraits).

just watched your album and my compliments on your photos. i like that u capture quite different characters...

In Busan, Korea, there is even a coffee shop devoted to film photography. The walls are lined with literally thousands if photography books and a nice collection of film cameras sits on a shelf. All are free for handling and browsing. A great place and a very generous gesture by the owner, a respected photographer himself.
Fantastic concept. Maybe it will give others the same idea, all over the world! :)

My Fujifilm Instax ("polaroid") that I got as present from Korea just became a little more dear to me.

When I use my analog cameras I usually get the "where are you from?" because I, Asian, appear to be a visitor. The most ridiculous question I've gotten before was "Oh have you visited such- and such- place?" when I was at a store looking at some vitamins to buy. Yep, and this was in my home town...

I wish most anecdotes are of friendly conversations and interesting people, but mostly I just get unsolicited advice about where to go and what to check out as if I am a tourist.

Twice in the last couple of months I've been asked ... "But where do you get your film from now that Kodak have gone broke?"

This makes me realise that 'Kodak' and 'film' are virtually the same word in most people's world's ... and they are usually genuinely surprised to find out that there is still a raft of other manufacturers out there making film for my antiquated and eccentric habit!

Back in Australia now. I live in a regional centre, Townsville - a city of about 150,000. Have been here 2 years. Before I moved here I got onto the Townsville flickr group and found a film user. We have become friends and meet regularly to talk photography and drink coffee. Funny thing - two of the waiters in the coffee shop where we meet also shoot film.

I'll look out some iPhone shots I took of the photography coffee shop in Busan.

I don't know what it is but I have noticed an increase in film haters. Even the old school photographers are buying the M9.
I really could care less what people think of me using film.

Rome, Imperial forum. It's hot and I'm looking for a bit of shade. I sit down and I take the last shot in my Leica M2 roll.
Then I start rewinding, I open my M2 and start reloading it.
A couple get by. Middle age. I can hear him saying her: "look! it's film!!!"
Friendly chat.
Yes, leicas are friendly... film seems to be more friendly than digital :)
It happens most of the times...

I don't know what it is but I have noticed an increase in film haters.

Me too. Why, do they feel threatened by us somehow?
I never bring up the subject but they seem compelled to confront.
Perhaps it is their own self-doubt.
I find it quite comical, absurd in fact. Sad, too...

Chris

well, "friends" is a bit exaggerated for some random folks asking about my camera, or telling me their whoever-relative "had the same one'...
but, otherwise, i agree!
Definitely much more fun.

I think what I like most about film photography, is the ability to use manual cameras and minimise the available distractions, allowing me to focus entirely on seeing and looking. I think it's for this same reason that I like my own bubble when I am out photographing, and don't enjoy the distractions of interactions with other photographers, as it breaks my immersion in what's before my eyes. I find nothing so enjoyable as a big bright viewfinder, a single focal length, with controls only for aperture and shutter speed. You can turn off many of the bells and whistles on digital cameras, but there is still always the temptation to tinker, a temptation you do not have with a camera with only the most basic of controls.

I think what I like most about film photography, is the ability to use manual cameras and minimise the available distractions, allowing me to focus entirely on seeing and looking.

Wouldn't a camera in full automatic mode allow you to focus on seeing better since you no longer need to worry about exposure and focus?

So, are film cameras more likely to be more fun and a better conversation starter than a digital camera?

Well for me, at least, its definitely true.

Stephen

+1 for me too......I get asked many questions about my Leica and Hasselblad and photography is very popular in Thailand (mostly DSLR's)

cheers, michael

I went to Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home) in Virginia this week to play tourist. Really a fascinating places with incredible views. I was amazed at all the geeky tourists with their DSLR's. That really surprised me as I was not expecting so many more DSLR's over compact digi's. I got a few approaches as I was shooting a Nikon F. But mostly they were attracted by the really groovy brown leather wrist strap hanging off the F. Go figure.

Back